“Amazing bed & breakfast, but even more amazing restaurant!”

Inn At Meander Plantation
Reserve with OpenTable
Inn At Meander Plantation is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Before I booked this B&B for this past Father's Day weekend for my husband and I, I did an exorbitant amount of research online. Most of the reviews were on the actual inn, which were very positive. However, there were only a handful of recent reviews on the food, except for a smattering of lukewarm reviews about the flavour, portions, progression, service, etc. Since he and I are huge foodies, we were eager to find out the real deal.

*REQUIRED DINNER:
I booked our "required" dinner Saturday night. For $65/pp (not including the 9% hotel tax, drinks, gratuity), this was a 5-course meal (served at 7pm, after a 30 minute hors d'oeuvres reception) which included a salad course, appetizer course, intermezzo, main course, dessert course. We got warm, freshly baked ciabatta bread too with pesto butter. Each course except for the intermezzo had a wine pairing of a local Virginia wine, which is available at $8/glass or $25/flight.

Food: Fantastic flavours! The lemon herb risotto that came with my husband's salmon was bright and delicious. My spinach salad's fig vinaigrette was to die for, especially with the roasted pear and goat cheese.

Portions: Amazingly huge! The salmon filet was large but not overwhelming. Though I had a petite NY strip, together with the sides, it was more than enough for me.

Progression / service: It's true, we were never rushed, but never found the service to be too slow. My husband and I were surprised that the whole dinner took about 2 hours, which seemed adequate time to savour each course. The chef (and co-owner) Suzie Blanchard came by to bring out the bread and. chitchatted with all the diners. You may think that $65/pp is a little pricey, but we thought this meal was definitely worth it!

*DAILY BREAKFAST:
Each morning, we had an included 3-course breakfast at 9am. The first course was freshly baked goods (Day 1: blueberry scones; Day 2: carrot / orange muffins), the second course was a small fruit bowl (Day 1: melon and pineapple slices; Day 2: roasted pear with mascarpone), the main course was a choice of savoury or sweet (Day 1: veggie frittata or French toast with sausage patties; Day 2: veggie hashbrowns with sausage links or waffles with fruit and sausage links). We had available juices, coffee, and tea. Again, there was plenty of food served and the service was very good. Chef Suzie made an appearance again and chatted with us for a bit.

*PICNIC MEAL:
My husband and I decided to explore the Inn's property and have an intimate picnic. I requested a picnic basket to be available by 7pm. All I thought we would get were a couple of sandwiches with a bowl of sides, and what we got far surpassed my expectations! Packed in a large wicker basket were dinner rolls with balsamic butter, a thermos of summer veggie gazpacho, a large casserole dish filled with sage-orange chicken breasts / mashed potatoes / haricot verts / gravy, and two plates of coconut cakes. The quality of the food was fantastic and portions were plentiful. When we realized we didn't have any beverages, Chef Suzie was very hospitable and got us a carafe of sweetened iced tea.

Trust me, the Inn and the grounds were magnificent on their own, but what made our stay memorable was the quality of the food that we had. Perhaps the fact that Chef Suzie is a co-owner gives her a vested interest in the quality of the meals being served., but whatever it is, it works!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Dinners are always amazing. They really know a lot about Virginia Wines and the food and wine pairings are amazing! Love it!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

One seating means a very relaxing dinner. Outstanding food/service.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

We were in the General's bedroom. It was lovely, but during the summer, we had to keep the windows open and there were no screens, so we ended up with a bat in the room. Breakfast was very nice and we enjoyed ourselves, sans bat!

Reviewed March 30, 2012

My wife and I had been curious about the Inn at Meander Plantation for a very long time. While most of the reviews were highly positive, some reviews highlighted negatives, ranging from food quality to deferred maintenance on this historic building.

Our dinner on a Thursday evening was a very enjoyable experience. The Inn is a stately Georgian mansion built prior to the American Revolution by a surveying partner of George Washington. For history buffs, this ambience is as good as it gets. (in fact two of our fellow diners were American history University professors). The views from the Inn, of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the surrounding horse farms are wonderful--very similar to the views experienced by visitors to the nearby James Madison estate in Orange County.

Upon arrival the very gracious Inn keeper ushered us into the grand high ceilinged living room, and offered us a choice of complementary Virginia wines. Although we had arrived on a wonderful spring day, there was a bit of chill in the air so the warmth of an open fire was very much appreciated.

The set menu offered four courses, with two choices for salad course, a soup or other appetizer, a choice of filet minion, salmon, or duck, and two choices for desert. My goat cheese, carmelized pear, and spinach salad with walnuts was superb, although the salad could have used a bit more dressing. The second course, a tomato soup was quite good, and served steaming hot. The presentation of the main course, the filet mignon was very elegant and artistic, with the small filet served on a bed of mashed potatoes and several small crispy onion rings. Although the filet was very tender, it lacked seasoning (perhaps pepper) and was good, not quite top notch. The mashed potatoes were a bit bland, and could have used some additional butter. My wife's salmon was excellent.

Dessert was a chocolate moose that was perfect--very chocolatey and sweet, but not too sweet.

Service was for all courses was very prompt, but not rushed. My wife and I appreciated the main courses served on well heated plates, which is not always the case in many fine restaurants. The best part of the meal, however, were the excellent wine pairings with each course. All wines are from Virginia wineries, and were of outstanding quality. I have often been dIsappointed wiht Virginia reds, but the Charlottesville area Cabernet served (a 2007 vintage) rivaled the very best Napa Valley wines. The $25 price seemed very fair given the high quality. Unlike one previous reviewer, I thought the glasses were generously sized, in the range of 3 1/2 oz, not 2 oz).

In short, a very nice dining experience, well worth the somewhat high fixed price.