“Did not live up to it's reputation.”
Review of Apple House

Apple House
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Linden
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Apple House is a family run restaurant/gift shop since 1963. We are known for our amazing Apple Butter Donuts, Smoked Pork BBQ, unique gifts, and southern hospitality! We hope you will drop in on your next trip by and say hello - we love to meet new folks!
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stopped in to eat after visiting a nearby apple orchard. We were told they had great food, but we did not find this to be the case. I asked what they could recommend and was told they were KNOWN for their BBQ and their donuts. I will say the sampling of the cinnamon apple donuts were tasty, but we needed lunch. The BBQ was nothing special. Maybe the hamburgers would have been a better choice. Dining room was very cramped and the ladies room was equally cramped. They did have lots of bric-a-brac crammed into the store for purchase.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

Overpriced gift shop in the front dwarfs the more reasonable food service in the back. Always busy buy service is efficient. The legend is the apple doughnut - melt-in-your-mouth fantastic when hot, but don't make the mistake of buying day-old for a discount. Nearly everything we have tried has been good - burgers, barbecue, pies come to mind; even my vegetarian kids are satisfied. Outside around the corner are seasonal soft serve and kettle corn stands to serve drive-up customers.

1  Thank ahmni
Reviewed September 7, 2011

While on our way to Skyline Caverns and Skyline Drive, we drove by the Apple House with its packed parking lot and signs advertising breakfast, lunch, BBQ, and doughnuts. Well, that was enough to cause us to turnaround and check out this place. We purchased 1/2 dozen, hot (really hot, right out of the fryer) apple butter doughnuts covered in cinnamon and sugar--perfect with coffee or tea. YUMMY!! Although we didn't order breakfast, folks who did looked very happy. If you want soft serve ice cream, there is a place in the parking lot. Next time I'd like to try their BBQ. You can buy honey, jams, pickles, etc. too.

1  Thank TravelBugVA
Reviewed March 29, 2011

If you can only eat half a dozen of their Apple Butter donuts, you're a stronger person than I. The barbeque is always delicious too, and you can smell it from a mile away--sometimes more in the autumn! Absolutely gorgeous scenery and worth the drive down I-66 to get there! Every year, my friends and I go camping at The Cove in Gore, VA on the West Virginia border, just past Winchester, and we always stop here going in and coming out. Never once been disappointed and you won't be either! They have a great little country store too which sells various Virginia souvenirs as well as Virginia wine from local vineyards.

Nothing too fancy at the Apple House, but they're always hopping and the food--and prices--make this a place you can't pass up if you're in the area!

Reviewed July 6, 2010

The Apple House is a legend in Front Royal (even though it is in Lindon just 5 miles down the road). It is right off the interstate and has surely welcomed travelers for many years. The little red building houses a great little gift shop of local wines, preserves, hot sauces, and crafts. The restaurant serves awesome breakfasts and BBQ style lunches. You know this place has good pork when you see the elaborate BBQ pits and equipment out back (including one smoker shaped like a pig complete with curly tail). It is a counter-service restaurant with no frills--just good food. I usually get the breakfast platters because their bacon is hands-down the best I've EVER had. They cook their own recipe of homemade apple doughnuts which are especially good if you catch them hot off the fryer. The BBQ sandwiches are the best I've had in the area and they come with some pretty incredible baked beans.