See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Nancy and Jan-Willem were our hosts for three nights as we hiked House Mountain, Sharp Top Mountain and Crabtree Falls. We stayed in the Rembrandt room, each room features a famous master's name. While no Rembrandt's in the room, the whole Manor features the excellent modern art from Jan-Willem and family. The room was well themed with curated pieces and decorative touches to match the art hanging form the wall. The decorative effect made you feel like you were staying at an arts friend's home not at a B&B, which was great. Nancy and Jan-Willem were gracious hosts very willing to provide area information and recommendations. Breakfast was excellent featuring fresh fruit and veggies from their garden. Their grounds were open and featured a large pond with 3 amazing koi including a golden koi that looked like a mythic dragon. And there are 2 sometimes 3 grounds cats that are either hunting or rolling over for belly rubs. Only minimal down sides; you are about 10 min from downtown Lexington, the front rooms, while nice and breeze do pick up some road noise, and the shower pressure was a bit low, but nothing to take away from a great visit. We highly recommend visiting Shenandoah Manor.
Don and Susanna

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Nancy B, Owner at Shenandoah Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Thank you for the kind words - it is our goal to make our guests feel “at home away from home”. We were, however, disappointed you had comments on “minimal down sides” so wanted to address them for the readers that read your review. 1) Downtown Lexington is exactly four miles from the Shenandoah Manor which takes us six minutes to drive. Furthermore when guests book a stay here it is usually because they prefer to not be in Lexington but rather out in the peaceful countryside; but love the fact that it is so close by and just takes minutes to get there. 2) Our facility is on a small county road that has about as little traffic as you can get, so was surprised that the few vehicles that went by were enough for you to consider them "road noise” as a downside. Being in the country is a big plus and why most guests choose to stay with us. They are glad to get away from city noise, open up the windows to enjoy the fresh air and are grateful that we are located where only a few vehicles occasionally go by. 3) Yes, the home was built in 1883 so the plumbing isn’t like a new home - but as you said it is adequate. Again, thanks for your stay - glad you enjoyed it and we’ld love to have you stop again if ever in the area.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My stay was for a week of art classes but beyond art instruction, there was so much more! I had one of the most enjoyable and comforting vacations ever- not only did I learn more about art and my artistic capabilities, I was very well and kindly taken care of in a beautiful and peaceful setting. Nancy is a gracious host who really makes you feel at home. Jan is a patient and flexible art teacher. Together they are great and I enjoyed my time with them and look forward to returning. It is also a great and safe place for a solo traveler.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank sharon888
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Nancy and Jan are the consummate hosts at this charming B&B. There are two buildings, the Manor House and the guest house. I had a room on the top floor of the guest house and was very content. I did a painting week so I got three meals a day and each one was very good. Nancy is a good cook and incredible housekeeper. This is one of the cleanest places I have seen. The art instruction with Jan was terrific. He is very flexible and can teach in many different media. I did watercolor, but my new friend and fellow student did oils. We went to three different locations for en plein air and also did work in the studios, of which there are two. One thing that stands out for me is that this is the perfect place for single women/women traveling alone because it is safe and comfortable. I highly recommend an art week or just a night or two of the B&B. Nancy or Jan provide free transportation to and from the Roanoke Airport.

Room tip: I wanted control of the air conditioning in my room so Nancy suggested I stay in the guest house. The Manor has a thermostat for the entire building. I was very happy because I like having the windows open. I like being on the top floor also. The Monet Room was perfect for me.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank LouisaCleveland
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The house is in a great location, secluded in a beautiful area but close to downtown Lexington. Hosts were nice but not intrusive and were available to answer any questions about the area. Breakfast was top notch!

As a young couple from the city, we had some not-so-favorite aspects of the trip that are only relative to our personal preferences. For example, no eating in the rooms and no TV. My husband is a midnight snacker and TV enthusiast, so he had a bit of a problem with this. We did bring my laptop and the B&B has great WiFi, so we watched Netflix, but were worried about it disturbing other guests. The main house has three rooms all on the same floor and relatively close together, so any footsteps, water running, etc. can be heard in the other rooms (or at least, we heard them in ours). Which didn't bother US at all, but we were worried about bothering others - the house is so quiet at night, so being night owls made us feel a bit uncomfortable. Also, as the place is geared towards art, there are several pieces in each room that are for sale. They are AMAZING, but I was watching my husband like a hawk while brushing his teeth, climbing into bed, etc., because I was scared to death we would somehow damage these one-of-a-kind works of art with out-of-our-budget prices (this included the quilt on the bed, which was also a work of art that was not to be used or slept on, per the sign in the room).

Again, those things are PERSONAL PREFERENCES to us, so they did not affect my rating at all. They are just a "heads up" to you. The only thing that negatively impacted my rating was the fact that we couldn't lock our room door (at least while we were out, we could lock it at night but we didn't have a key to get back in if we left). This may be standard in B&Bs, but we haven't experienced it before in others we've stayed at. We completely trusted the hosts and the house did have keypad entry, but having other guests just next door, that ALSO know the rooms can't be locked, was a bit unnerving.

All in all, this is a great place. Being city slickers probably affected our experience just a bit, but If you're looking to get away to a quiet, peaceful, tranquil location, you found it! Beautiful, I mean BEAU-TI-FUL grounds, house, views, breakfast, etc. Loved it!

Room tip: Try the Guest House if you prefer individual temperature control.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelsey C
Nancy B, Owner at Shenandoah Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you, Kelsey, for your stay with us and your kind words. Just a quick response to a couple of things you picked out to comment on - sorry you felt you were afraid of making too much noise. Even though you can hear some outside room noises, actually the walls are quite well insulated and no one heard you watching a movie - and you were quite welcome to use the TV room downstairs as well, any hour of the day or night. Our website lists what is in the rooms so you can see there that we don't have TV's in the room. We appreciate you being respectful of the artwork but the pieces in each room aren't where anyone can easily do any harm to them as they are on the walls and are varnished - the only thing we request for the quilts is that (per the sign in the room) "they be folded down and not used as a full cover". As to the key - we do have keys for all the rooms, all you had to do was ask for a key as you could see from the knob that it was a keyed knob. Most people don't want them, but to any guests who do, we have keys to all the rooms. Sorry you didn't realize that.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

The rooms were awesome, the hosts were friendly, and the breakfasts were delicious. All this plus a babbling brook, a nice pond with goldfish, and a gazebo on the property. We took a walk down the road and enjoyed the beauty of the area. Highly recommend it. I definitely plan on returning!

Date of stay: June 2014