See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Nancy and Jan are the consummate hosts at this charming B&B. There are two buildings, the Manor House and the guest house. I had a room on the top floor of the guest house and was very content. I did a painting week so I got three meals a day and each one was very good. Nancy is a good cook and incredible housekeeper. This is one of the cleanest places I have seen. The art instruction with Jan was terrific. He is very flexible and can teach in many different media. I did watercolor, but my new friend and fellow student did oils. We went to three different locations for en plein air and also did work in the studios, of which there are two. One thing that stands out for me is that this is the perfect place for single women/women traveling alone because it is safe and comfortable. I highly recommend an art week or just a night or two of the B&B. Nancy or Jan provide free transportation to and from the Roanoke Airport.

Room tip: I wanted control of the air conditioning in my room so Nancy suggested I stay in the guest house. The Manor has a thermostat for the entire building. I was very happy because I like having the windows open. I like being on the top floor also. The Monet Room was perfect for me.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank LouisaCleveland
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The house is in a great location, secluded in a beautiful area but close to downtown Lexington. Hosts were nice but not intrusive and were available to answer any questions about the area. Breakfast was top notch!

As a young couple from the city, we had some not-so-favorite aspects of the trip that are only relative to our personal preferences. For example, no eating in the rooms and no TV. My husband is a midnight snacker and TV enthusiast, so he had a bit of a problem with this. We did bring my laptop and the B&B has great WiFi, so we watched Netflix, but were worried about it disturbing other guests. The main house has three rooms all on the same floor and relatively close together, so any footsteps, water running, etc. can be heard in the other rooms (or at least, we heard them in ours). Which didn't bother US at all, but we were worried about bothering others - the house is so quiet at night, so being night owls made us feel a bit uncomfortable. Also, as the place is geared towards art, there are several pieces in each room that are for sale. They are AMAZING, but I was watching my husband like a hawk while brushing his teeth, climbing into bed, etc., because I was scared to death we would somehow damage these one-of-a-kind works of art with out-of-our-budget prices (this included the quilt on the bed, which was also a work of art that was not to be used or slept on, per the sign in the room).

Again, those things are PERSONAL PREFERENCES to us, so they did not affect my rating at all. They are just a "heads up" to you. The only thing that negatively impacted my rating was the fact that we couldn't lock our room door (at least while we were out, we could lock it at night but we didn't have a key to get back in if we left). This may be standard in B&Bs, but we haven't experienced it before in others we've stayed at. We completely trusted the hosts and the house did have keypad entry, but having other guests just next door, that ALSO know the rooms can't be locked, was a bit unnerving.

All in all, this is a great place. Being city slickers probably affected our experience just a bit, but If you're looking to get away to a quiet, peaceful, tranquil location, you found it! Beautiful, I mean BEAU-TI-FUL grounds, house, views, breakfast, etc. Loved it!

Room tip: Try the Guest House if you prefer individual temperature control.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kelsey C
Nancy B, Owner at Shenandoah Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you, Kelsey, for your stay with us and your kind words. Just a quick response to a couple of things you picked out to comment on - sorry you felt you were afraid of making too much noise. Even though you can hear some outside room noises, actually the walls are quite well insulated and no one heard you watching a movie - and you were quite welcome to use the TV room downstairs as well, any hour of the day or night. Our website lists what is in the rooms so you can see there that we don't have TV's in the room. We appreciate you being respectful of the artwork but the pieces in each room aren't where anyone can easily do any harm to them as they are on the walls and are varnished - the only thing we request for the quilts is that (per the sign in the room) "they be folded down and not used as a full cover". As to the key - we do have keys for all the rooms, all you had to do was ask for a key as you could see from the knob that it was a keyed knob. Most people don't want them, but to any guests who do, we have keys to all the rooms. Sorry you didn't realize that.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

The rooms were awesome, the hosts were friendly, and the breakfasts were delicious. All this plus a babbling brook, a nice pond with goldfish, and a gazebo on the property. We took a walk down the road and enjoyed the beauty of the area. Highly recommend it. I definitely plan on returning!

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Beverly G
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Shenandoah Manor is a lovely place to stay. The Boers are wonderful hosts and the breakfasts were delicious. If you are in the area, stay there - you'll be glad you did! Two of the four guest house rooms were perfect for us as we had some later hours and could come and go without disturbing the hosts.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at Shenandoah while my son visited Washington and Lee. It was an ideal location...close to town/college, but quiet and picturesque. The accommodations were comfortable and relaxing. The breakfast was delicious...taste as well as presentation. We loved the cat greeting committee too! We look forward to visiting again if Jared attends college at Washington and Lee - and if he doesn't, we'll probably still be back!

Room tip: couldn't delete fitness rating...was none there...just beautiful roads to walk on.
Date of stay: September 2013