See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I could not have asked for more from the breakfast. Everything, even the coffee, was absolutely superb!
Hosts are accommodating, hardworking, and friendly but not obtrusive, and are easy and interesting to talk to.
Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was roomy. Shower was a bit difficult as water pressure is low and a bit finicky. Would have liked a few toiletry options, such as conditioner and lotion, and more than just a hotel sliver of soap and tiny bottle of shampoo (other B&Bs I have stayed in have had an array of choices so I just was a bit surprised.)
Residence is very comfortable and room had ceiling fan and fireplace.
I can recommend highly for couples on vacation.
I can't recommend this if you are parents wanting to bring your student over. The TV room is tiny with just two seats and eating is not allowed in the rooms... It is just not practical if that is your intention, although renting the whole guest house would probably be ideal.
Property is gorgeous and there is a duck pond with a soothing fountain. Tumbling kitties frolic outside and the area is peaceful and charming. I would return.

Date of stay: October 2013
1  Thank Sandy C
Nancy B, Owner at Shenandoah Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. In response to a couple of things mentioned, we would just like to say -1) showers are great here, but yes, if multiple showers are going at the same time it will affect your shower, like in many homes; 2) as good stewards of mother earth, we supply only a smaller "hotel-like" soap so we don't end up throwing away so much; 3) as to lotions and conditioners, we could offer more though bathrooms have limited space for guests own toiletries and we find most people like to bring their own brands to use. We do have a note in each room that says if you need any toiletries to please ask as we do keep a limited supply; 4) for people that don't know Lexington what the guest is talking about regarding her student is that Virginia Military Institute is located here and when parents come for Parent's Weekend they like to bring their students over to be with them, sometimes take a shower here, sleep and some have even washed their clothes here. We are happy to accommodate these things without extra charge. Yes, the facility is not set up for huge groups watching TV. We are a Bed & Breakfast out in the country where people come to find quiet and relaxation - mostly away from the TV, so the smaller room is more than adequate for our overnight guests. The facility has lots of places for the students to hang out - the balconies, the courtyard, the living room, etc. 5) We ask that guests do not eat in their bedrooms - but use the common rooms. The TV room would be a common room. We were disappointed that this part of he review and the rating given was made over the student who was not an overnight guest here.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Shenandoah Manor may become our annual destiantion-my two sisters and myself enjoyed a very relaxing weekend away. The breakfasts were divine, the surroundings a simple beauty-country setting but a close drive to town. Enjoyed the owner's art studios and although we didn't get a chance to try out our hand at painting--may be a fun goal for our next visit. Very friendly owners with some terrific outdoor kitten mascots that greeted us upon arrival.

Date of stay: September 2013
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were on our first drive to Florida from Northern NJ and wanted to break-up the trip with a B&B somewhere near Interstate 81. We hit the jackpot when we found Shenandoah Manor B&B. Not only is this a first class, meticulously maintained 1800's little estate among the horse farms of Lexington, Va., but it is also an "artists destination" and offers classes in painting. This inn is owned decorated by an artist couple, Jan & Nancy, and the artist's touch is evident everywhere you look. Our room had a small balcony overlooking a front lawn with grass as thick as plush carpeting, leading to a small pond with a bridge. Many places claim to be idyllic; this place actually is. During the day, 3 kittens played and tried to catch butterflies in the garden. At night, Nancy made a fire in an outdoor fireplace, and we enjoyed excellent conversation with some travelers from Holland. Breakfast was both visually and gastronomically beautiful. To top it all off, nearby historic Lexington offers an amazing array of really great restaurant choices. (The Bistro on Main, and the Southern Inn were both superb.) We've been to many B&Bs, and we can't recommend this gem highly enough. Check it out!

Room tip: any rooms with a view.
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen V
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My fiancée and I started our surprise (for her) weekend getaway at Shenandoah Manor. The sole purpose of this weekend was a surprise getaway where I would ask my beautiful Kelly to marry me. We started it off at the Shenandoah Manor and it could not have possibly gone better! We chose a room with a private porch, and there was even a birds nest with babies, which we saw depart their nest for the first time if their lives. What a treat!!!
We had wine in the study before a nice stroll on the grounds and the evening out in Lexington. We returned and soaked in the jacuzzi tub with more wine a d really enjoyed the quaintness of this old manor. In the morning we looked at some art, had a scrumptious breakfast and were on our way to the rest of our adventure.
Thank you both for such a romantic and memorable experience!!!

Date of stay: July 2013
1  Thank Buddy S
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at this wonderful Inn. My husband and I decided to stay here overnight when we were in town to pick up our son from VMI for the summer. We had never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before and we were definitely not disappointed. The owners, Nancy and Jan, were delightful and welcomed us with a snack and glass of wine for me and beer for my husband. We booked the Van Gogh Room and enjoyed having a covered porch where we could sit and enjoy the quiet as well as the convenience of a private entrance with direct access to the grounds. The home-cooked breakfast was delicious and we loved everything that was served! We already have plans to return to the Shenandoah Manor B&B in August and would highly recommend to anyone.

Date of stay: May 2013