See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were on our first drive to Florida from Northern NJ and wanted to break-up the trip with a B&B somewhere near Interstate 81. We hit the jackpot when we found Shenandoah Manor B&B. Not only is this a first class, meticulously maintained 1800's little estate among the horse farms of Lexington, Va., but it is also an "artists destination" and offers classes in painting. This inn is owned decorated by an artist couple, Jan & Nancy, and the artist's touch is evident everywhere you look. Our room had a small balcony overlooking a front lawn with grass as thick as plush carpeting, leading to a small pond with a bridge. Many places claim to be idyllic; this place actually is. During the day, 3 kittens played and tried to catch butterflies in the garden. At night, Nancy made a fire in an outdoor fireplace, and we enjoyed excellent conversation with some travelers from Holland. Breakfast was both visually and gastronomically beautiful. To top it all off, nearby historic Lexington offers an amazing array of really great restaurant choices. (The Bistro on Main, and the Southern Inn were both superb.) We've been to many B&Bs, and we can't recommend this gem highly enough. Check it out!

Room tip: any rooms with a view.
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen V
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My fiancée and I started our surprise (for her) weekend getaway at Shenandoah Manor. The sole purpose of this weekend was a surprise getaway where I would ask my beautiful Kelly to marry me. We started it off at the Shenandoah Manor and it could not have possibly gone better! We chose a room with a private porch, and there was even a birds nest with babies, which we saw depart their nest for the first time if their lives. What a treat!!!
We had wine in the study before a nice stroll on the grounds and the evening out in Lexington. We returned and soaked in the jacuzzi tub with more wine a d really enjoyed the quaintness of this old manor. In the morning we looked at some art, had a scrumptious breakfast and were on our way to the rest of our adventure.
Thank you both for such a romantic and memorable experience!!!

1  Thank Buddy S
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at this wonderful Inn. My husband and I decided to stay here overnight when we were in town to pick up our son from VMI for the summer. We had never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before and we were definitely not disappointed. The owners, Nancy and Jan, were delightful and welcomed us with a snack and glass of wine for me and beer for my husband. We booked the Van Gogh Room and enjoyed having a covered porch where we could sit and enjoy the quiet as well as the convenience of a private entrance with direct access to the grounds. The home-cooked breakfast was delicious and we loved everything that was served! We already have plans to return to the Shenandoah Manor B&B in August and would highly recommend to anyone.

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Loved our stay here, although it was too brief! The owners were attentive and welcoming without being overbearing, so we had relaxing time to ourselves but could engage in interesting conversation with them as we wished. The rooms are simple but clean and well decorated in a creative way (versus a frilly B&B style). Jan-Willem's artwork is intriguing and inspiring. And the breakfasts--delicious! Hoping to return to take art classes.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I spent an evening at Shenandoah Manor. It was peaceful, situated in beautiful countryside, and sounds of frogs, creek, fountain and baby birds nesting on my own balcony. The breakfast was hearty and delicious and the innkeepers Nancy and Jan were very attentive and welcoming.

My room was spotless and very comfortable. I would not hestitate to recommend this b and b and hope to return sometime.

• Trip type: Traveled solo