Applewood Inn, Llama Trekking & Cottage
Wingate by Wyndham Lexington(Lexington)(Great Value!)
$93
Sleep Inn & Suites(Lexington)(Great Value!)
$98
$81
SleepInn
Best Western Plus Inn at Hunt Ridge(Lexington)(Great Value!)
$136
$119
Comfort Inn Virginia Horse Center(Lexington)(Great Value!)
$111
$89
ComfortInn
$149
Hampton.com
Best Western Lexington Inn(Lexington)(Great Value!)
$83
$77
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $88/night.

$59
$104
Country Inn
Holiday Inn Express Lexington(Lexington)(Great Value!)
$116
Travelocity
Robert E Lee Hotel(Lexington)(Great Value!)
$135
All reviewsblue ridge roomgravel roadhot tubprivate porchlook forward to visiting againfresh fruitnatural bridgelovely hostslovely weekendeach morningliving roombeautiful settinggas fireplaceb and blindallamasstryker
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The positive reviews on TripAdvisor steered me to the Applewood, but I'll admit that some of them we're so gushy and positive that I was a bit skeptical. It couldn't be that perfect, could it?

Well, it is. The Applewood Inn is lovely, set on a hillside 2-3 miles outside of Lexington, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The scenery is wonderful, it's quiet, and when you walk up the hill, you get a gorgeous 360 degree view.

Our rooms were beautiful without being overdone, quiet, perfectly clean, absolutely comfortable. Me and my friends had the two, and only, rooms on the first floor. We had gas stoves, and private enclosed porches off our rooms. One room had a big soaking bathtub, the other had a jacuzzi on the private porch. We had genuine patchwork work quilts on the beds, and comfortable furniture. There was a little bar between our rooms in the hall with a Kuerig coffee maker, a vast array of coffee, sugar and creamer, plus a little refrigerator.

On the second floor is the kitchen, with a nook with mugs and at least 30 kinds of tea that we could help ourselves to. The office, dining room and a common room / living room are also on the second floor. The innkeepers, Chris and Linda, live on the third floor, so it's very private and quiet for everyone.

We had two generous, tasty, healthy breakfasts during our stay, everything made from scratch - multigrain muffins and pancakes, veggie omelettes, fresh mixed fruit, fresh squeezed juice, good coffee. Linda and Chris are friendly and interesting, but not intrusive. They answered our questions about birds, trees, the mountains, local history and of course, llamas.

We loved our trek with the llamas. We had a leisurely two hour walk up and down the hills, through the trees and along a stream. The llamas are beautiful, calm and gentle. My friend and I are both photographers and Chris and Linda were very patient and helpful with us taking pictures of the llamas. We both want llamas now.

The inn is convenient to Lexington, where there are many good places to eat lunch and dinner. The inn is not at all hard to find, yet it felt very private and faraway. I'm so glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Siobhan K
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were looking to get out of town for the long weekend and came across this place in our Google search. I'm so glad we did! Chris and Linda are super friendly, helpful, and welcoming, and their inn is the perfect place for a romantic getaway. And the location is beautiful - even in the middle of the winter. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The European has the hot tub!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We loved Applewood Inn from the minute we saw it going up the driveway. The house was beautiful, the owner's welcoming and friendly and our room (Blue Ridge) was adorable. We loved the balcony with the mountain and llama view. Breakfast was delicious pumpkin pancakes, fruit, sausage and great conversation. It was a pleasure staying there and we felt as if we were visiting family. We hope to visit again soon!

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms that we know of so choosing shouldn't be a problem!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was heading to West Va for a conference and needed a place to stay en-route. The llama trekking caught my eye and the inn looked nice so I booked myself a room & a trek. The room was lovely- spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom was also large with a whirlpool tub. Right outside the door was a fridge filled with drinks, a coffee machine and a jar filled with cookies- sweet!

In the morning I checked out the pool area and the gardens- they both were beautiful.

The hosts- Chris and Linda were delightful. I arrived after dark and was a bit concerned about finding the place- but Chris gave me very specific directions and finding the inn was no problem at all. When I arrived Chris gave me a map of Lexington and several suggestions on where to have dinner. I chose Niko's Grille and had a pleasant meal with good food.

Breakfast was delicious- an apple/ham/cheese omelet with a cup of fresh fruit.

The llama trek was after breakfast and was fun. Basically a walk (leading a llama) up into the mountains with spectacular views and then down through the woods. Not too strenuous- just perfect for all ages and abilities. My llama Chaos was very well behaved- he stopped for an occasional nibble on a leaf but was more cooperative than most animals.

The inn is out of town and in a spectacular setting- my cell phone did not work on the property at all. But there was wireless access. Chris told me they have a dog but I never saw it nor did I see dog hair anywhere. For a brief stretch the road into the neighborhood is a single lane with a river on one side and a cliff on the other so you might want to drive more carefully there- the rest of the road is fine.

Room Tip: If you want to use the hot tub ask for the European room. If you want your own sitting room there's a huge room upstairs with sep couch area.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We loved our stay! Chris and Linda are the nicest hosts ever :) we had the most lovely weekend, and we would love to come back and see the llamas!!! We stayed in the Blue Ridge room and had a lovely, romantic weekend. The llama trek took us through the scenic property, and provided a much-needed break from city life. Please go if you want to escape city life, and enjoy some R&R in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains!!!

• Stayed: September 2012