“Not what it used to be...”

Best Western Plus Inn at Hunt Ridge
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed June 25, 2011

My family and I stayed here three years ago (2008) and had great memories of the stay and hotel overall; however, this time around the visit was all but wonderful. Our room seemed "dirty," and it had an odd smell to it. It's not to say the room was dusty or had dirt everywhere but it just felt as such- perhaps it was the smell.

And when we asked about the motion detector in our room the host at the desk wasn't even sure what it was for- it was odd though. Furthermore the onsite restaurant is now closed (not necessary, but was nice the last time) and the pool was closed for renovation (in the summer time?). The continental breakfast was lacking- and my wife found a hair in her sausage gravy... not cool.

On a good note though- the staff was nice; but I don't think we'll be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask to see/smell your room prior to staying.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 21, 2010

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this BW experience!

Rooms were very nice; comfortable beds; easy access to both I-81 and I-64 and close to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

A little steeper in price with a higher pet fee ($25.00 per night as opposed to the $5.00 the previous night in Winchester, VA) but still worth it for what was offered. Plenty of free parking.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2010

I looked at the reviews for a great many hotels along Rte. 81 in Virginia and many of them sounded old and run down. The BW Inn at Hunt Ridge does not fall into that category. We requested a room on the first floor because we have a pup, but either none were available or their pet rooms are only on the second floor. Regardless, our room was large (despite the fact that the beds were double and not queen), and there was a comfortable sitting area with a small couch. (If you like rock hard beds, you'll love these!) There was a microfridge in the room and a coffee maker but no free breakfast. It was a nice hotel, but I think $25/night is a lot for a pet fee.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Each year I attend the Trail Horse Auction at Va Horse Center. Last year the hotel was fine and served the purpose. I did not try the continental breakfast last year. This year I traveled with my daughter and grand-daughter. We woke up to ants crawling all over the nightstand between the beds and all over the side & top of the beds. Not good. We decided to take advantage of the continental breakfast so we could get to the horse center early. It was pretty horrible. The english muffins were hard enough to double as hockey pucks. They did offer prefab cheese/ham omlettes, biscuits, hot sausage gravy, cereals, some pastries and packaged oatmeal & grits. The real problem was the styrofoam plates and bowls you were supposed to use to heat the omelettes and instant oatmeal/grits items. I was surprised they didn't have some other form of bowls or even paper plates. Styrofoam melts into your food in microwaves. The hotel was not as clean as last year.
I do like this hotel for it's location, but won't stay there again next year. I told the desk person about the bugs all over the nightstand and beds and she really didn't react like I thought she should. She did mention they had ants near the front desk area as well. Odd considering it's the dead of winter w/snow on the ground.
How can they improve? Eliminate the bug problem, move the continental breakfast from the 3rd floor to the 1st, keep your breakfast offerings fresher, and for goodness sake - give your customers something to heat up the food items in/on.
The first night we were awakened about every 15 minutes with someone stomping around in the room above us. It wouldn't have been so bad, but the floor above us also squeeked. I know someone stomping around all night is not the fault of the hotel, but maybe the sqeeking floor can be fixed.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2010

We stayed for about a week here with one small and one medium dog. The hotel staff were great about the dogs. I have nothing but praise for this hotel. As for food you need to go to the truck stop down the road for an excellent meal. The Berky's Restaurant at the Lee-Hi Truck Stop is great.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I planned to visit Lexington Virginia, to visit friends and relatives and I started looking online for hotels and restaurants. I found some reviews of some hotels and restaurants and I decided to stay at Best Western at Hunt Ridge. I had read some bad recommendations on G.Willaker's restaurant and so I wanted to avoid going there. However, my friends in Lexington insisted on going to G.Wilaker's to eat, so I followed along with them. I was not expecting such great service and excellent food in great portions. I was surprised because i had read terrible reviews about this restaurant. The manager came to our table to ask us how our meal was and i noticed that he had a non-american accent. He introduced himself to us as "Nick The Greek" and it turned out that he was the owner of the restaurant who had gone to Greece for several years and had left the restaurant in the hands of a manager. After talking to us for a few minutes, Nick treated us with a special greek dessert. It was the first walnut cake I have ever tried and was delicious! Now that i have been to G.Willaker's I cannot understand how anyone would write a bad review about it! I went to the restaurant three more times during my stay at Lexington and still had great service even when nick was not there. It think that G.Willaker's is a great family restaurant with great food, service and reasonable prices. One thing you have to do before you leave is ask Nick to Bark! Then you will now you are at the right place!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Right around the corner from the arena. Great rate for those attending events at the Horse Center. Wonderful staff and most of all clean.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple