“Three and one-half stars if that was an option” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Express Lexington
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Great Falls, Virginia
“Three and one-half stars if that was an option”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you are in the area and need a decent, clean, spacious room, this is a nice option. On Tripadvisor, 3 stars is average and 4 stars is "very good". Not sure why there's no option for "good" because this hotel would earn that rating from me. Having travelled quite a bit for work and pleasure, sometimes staying in extremely luxurious hotels, I'm not going to give out 4 stars to many regular hotels just off the highway. So consider my rating a solid 3 stars from a tough grader. The room was clean (a super priority for me), spacious, and bright, with comfortable beds. The front desk staff was extremely nice. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ken R
DominionLodgingSales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I would like to thank you for your recent review of our Holiday Inn Express in Lexington, VA. I understand you travel a lot. It means a lot for you to say you were stay in our hotel again because of our cleanliness and spacious rooms. We hope to see you again soon when you pass through the area again!
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Appreciate having the mini-suite when staying for weeks at a time. Plus the continental hot and cold breakfast (Which changes on a rotating basis) is a great way to start a day. Be careful not to over indulge in all the pastries and sausage/bacon as the calories are certainly available! Staff has been very helpful on each or our stays (which have always been at least 10 days). The room is always clean, and there are plenty of towels. One downside is the automatic energy saving on the heat/air conditioning. Apparently motion detected, if no movement for some period of time (such as when you are out for the day) then they unit turns off. Then when you return, the room in NOT comfortable in temperature as it needs to kick back on and either reheat the room/suite or in the case of summer, re-cool the entire room/suite. Although I understand the premise, I do wish it wasn't installed in a room as I want the room comfortable when I come in after a long day out. Still, I do recommend this place in all other respects, price, location, and the availability of a laundry room downstairs too!

Room Tip: Be sure not to get a room near the elevators if possible as they are noisy, especially when the staf...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DominionLodgingSales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your review of Holiday Inn Express Lexington. We are the only hotel in Lexington with an extended stay suite. We are glad you enjoyed our wonderful breakfast selection and hope you didn’t pack on too many calories! There are plenty of healthy option on our breakfast bar as well such as fruit, yogurt, and oatmeal. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and we hope you are able to return sometime soon.
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

After driving 6 hours on my way to Nashville, I just wanted to get in to a room and relax. When checking in my room was ready. I was not recognized as a gold card priority club member. The room was clean and spacious and had everything I needed to include a microwave and frig. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was large. There was plenty of hot water and water pressure was excellent. This is a typical HIE property. I would stay here again. The ACis great as it did not go on and off all night but if you leave the room and return, it does go off by sensor

The breakfast was hot and good and had all the typical HIE items to include pancakes.

This hotel is very close to the interstate and is a very short walk to Applebee's.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DominionLodgingSales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of Holiday Inn Express Lexington. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and would stay with us again. I am sorry that our front desk did not recognize your Gold Card membership as we know it does take a lot of traveling and room nights to earn that status and you deserve to get that recognition. This will certainly be a training opportunity for our hotel. We are glad, once again, you enjoyed our hotel and we stay here again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

After an awful day, Susan at the front desk was charming, helpful and more than pleasant. She went above and beyond what was expected and to others as well. When we asked for a room on the first floor she found one for us. Then we needed a place to put food so she found us a room with a frig and freezer. Bobbie NJ Sunday March 31, 201

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments and in particular, the kind words concerning the helpfulness of Susan. I will pass along your comments to her and we look forward to having you stay with us again should you find yourself in the beautiful Lexington area.
Gary Purvis
VP of Operations
Dominion Lodging, Inc.
Rye, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Folks, HIEXPRESS has done a good job upgrading their brand but need to ensure that even their franchised owners follow suit. This hotel needs some TLC in the rooms, better pillows, bed pillow tops and better towels to represent the upgrades seen at other HIEXP hotels in the mid Atlantic. Also, front desk experience was ridiculous. I had one reservation thru AMEX platinum and then decided to get two rooms when I arrived and being told heir was plenty of rooms . More revenue for them. When I asked for the original double bed room to be changed to king since I was now getting two rooms they replied no that he couldn't change the reservation. Seriously, you own the hotel and I want to give you more money. Just so frustrating. Also refused to match rate for additional room and charged me more. Way to lose my business going forward. I will say this hotel is fine for one/two night stay but be aggressive with your needs. They do have a great breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DomSales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Holiday Inn Express as well as other IHG brands have really been setting the bar high for their standards. We are thrilled we could be a part of the IGH family and represent their brand.
Reservations that come through anyother source besides IHG or the hotel itself it is hard for the hotel to change the reservation due to the hotels restrictions. We agree sometimes it does become both frustrating to the guests and the hotel. We always recommend booking direct with the hotel to make sure everything is correct for your stay.
We are glad you did enjoy our breakfast. The eggs and pancakes are some of my favorites.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I spent two nights over a weekend at this property. The hotel is a little dated and the rooms and hallways are decorated with a pretty unattractive green color. We stayed in a suite that included a small kitchenette. This was a nice feature.

While we did have a suite, we had some issues with the heat / AC. Did not work. I had to end up messing with the plug and resetting the on plug power surge protector. It was also difficult to regulate the temperature with the wall unit.

The room was clean, however, you could tell construction short cuts were taken. In the living room area, the TV stand was not against the side wall, so you could look down the side. There was no carpet and all kinds of pens, paper and trash in this 2 - 3" gap between the TV stand and wall.

The couch in the living room was not be very comfortable. The seat cushions were worn and flattened out.

The beds were ok, but the pillows were awful.

The staff could use some customer service training. Little enthusiasm or personality. On our second day our room keys did not work. I went down to the front desk. The same attendant was there that checked me in. She said yeah, looks like I only coded the keys for a one night stay. No offer of apology or sorry the mistake.

The property is convenient located to restaurants and within a 10 minute drive of downtown Lexington and the colleges.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I would first like to thank you for your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the kitchenette in your room. We are the only hotel in Lexington to offer this extended stay suite.
We are sorry to hear that you did have some trouble with your room. We always ask that you report these issues to the front desk so we can resolve them for you and for the next guest.
We will take time to look at how housekeeping is cleaning behind stands and chairs. The couches in the suites are pull-outs to allow someone else to sleep there.
We are currently in the porcess of getting new pillows and we hope those are more up to everyone expectations.
We are constantly striving for better customer service and will bring up these issues with our front desk staff.
Our location to Lexington is one thing our guests do really enjoy. We are about a mile away from both colleges in the area.
Thank you once again for your review the positive and the neagtive help make our hotel the best it can be.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel is just minutes off of I-81 and very near the historic district of Lexington. We stayed here for a candidate orientation at the Virginia Military Institute, which is only a five minute drive from the hotel. There are many restaurants, grocery stores, drugstores, etc., adjacent to or near the hotel. We were greeted by a courteous staff, and had a super clean, well-appointed room. Pretty much everything you expect from a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
If this was your first visit to the Holiday Inn express, Welcome!
Thanks so much for the nice comments. We are very conveniently located near the major interstates and just a short drive to both Virginia Military Institute and Washington & Lee University.
If your son or daughter is going to VMI, they will get a great education. Make sure you book rooms early for Parents Weekend and other special events as the entire City sells out quickly.
We look forward to your staying with us in the future.
Gary Purvis