“Nice place and reasonable rates”

Holiday Inn Express Lexington
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Clarkston, Michigan
“Nice place and reasonable rates”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We were originally thinking of the Country Inn and Suites directly across the street, but the price there was too much even with a senior rate. The front desk staff were helpful and even made sure we had choices of type of room and floor preference. They seemed happy to share info about the surrounding area. The hotel was clean and the beds comfortable. Breakfast area was large and the food was super with the famous Holiday Inn cinnamon rolls enticing us. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank parksorbust

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I'm not sure how this stunt was pulled, and honestly I am very upset at HI as I am a Platinum Priority Member, but they changed my booking fee from $77 when I booked the hotel, to $97 when I checked in. I have never been fooled by a stunt like this from them ever before, so the thought never occured to me to print and bring my confirmation letter. The reason I am absolutely sure of the booking cost is that it was so low compared to the usual rates for this particular HIE. You see they have a captive audience. This HIE is 1 mile away from Virginia Military Institute. Normally a hotel near a college is going to have higher rates, but this one is unique because at VMI, students are isolated from the world (telephone, internet, etc) during thier first year at school. This makes parents very anxious to get up there and visit them, but since visitation is controlled as well, the hotel industry around it takes advantage of the parents.

So when I booked the hotel at $77 I made a point to tell my wife and friends who would be staying there with us, that it was so cheap, and we were all happy. So imagine my surprise and outrage when I arrived and saw that they were charging me $20 more per room! I immediately asked about it and the staff was courteous but insisted that the cost was correct, and encouraged me to look it up online. So I went to the room, and pulled up my HI platinum card member account and was outraged again! They had changed my single two room booking, to two separate rom bookings, and it showed the now increased price! What kind of company would do that to save $20?! HIE if you're reading this you better make it good!!!

needless to say I will forever print and bringing my reservation slip with me. I will not be cheated like this again. Also, I have started using the Hilton Honors program unitl HIE makes it good.

One other note about this particular hotel's price gouging. IF the normal room rate is $77 or $97, and I understand raising your rates a little during peak booking, but two weeks ago(before our "incident") I went to book this hotel for VMI's parent's weekend. the rate was $269 per night!!! Same hotel, same room. That's criminal and I'm telling all the VMI folks to look at alternatives. Seriously. I'm staying in Lynchburg, an hour away, because I refuse this type of business taking advantage of parents who will pay anything to see thier children for the short periods they're allowed. One of our fellow parents also suggested we rent a house/condo there instead. You can bet I'll be looking into that!

Room Tip: Until they do a reset and pull thier heads out of thier A#$@s book somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Seahawksman
Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed here one night on our way back from a funeral so we were not in the best state of mind but the hotel needs some updating and they use way too much air freshener or scented cleaning stuff. It was overpowering. It's a decent location and convenient to all Lexington has to offer (which isn't much). We had previously stayed at the Hampton Inn Col Alto and for the same price we got a gorgeous hotel on beautiful grounds right in the City of Lexington. But if you are with a horse show or just need a night on your way west or east, this isn't too bad.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This hotel is in a great location. We stayed here because we were showing all week at the Virginia horse center. it is very close to the show grounds. When i arrived all i had to do was give them my last name and they immediately knew who i was by first name. The check in took just a few minutes and the guy at the desk was very nice and knowledgeable. Our room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. We got plenty of towels and they even put a rubber ducky on our tub every day when they cleaned the room. We had a fridge and microwave in our room that were plugged in and ready to use upon arrival. The only downside to the rooms is that the walls are pretty thin. One morning i could hear the guy on the phone word for word what he was saying. The breakfast is great. They have a pancake machine where all you have to do is press one button for 2 fresh pancakes. They have a fridge full of milk cartons and yogurt. The usual bacon and eggs, biscuits, muffins and cereals. I will definitely be coming back to this place. All the staff that i came in contact with during my stay was great and very helpful and pleasant. It was so nice to be able to focus on the horse show and not have to worry about the hotel or breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 3, 2011

A standard room, comfortable and clean, with a nice view of the mountains from the 3rd floor. But beware--this hotel claims to have a fitness center and pool, but neither are on the property--you have to go to two different nearby motels (one for the fitness center, one for the pool). The free breakfast was low quality even by motel standards. The "healthy" fruit option (which they promote) was some overripe bananas and kids "Trix" yogurts. Bad coffee in styrofoam cups. Your kids might like all the sugar, but adults will leave hungry and looking for decent coffee. For $129 + tax I felt ripped off.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We go to the Virginia Horse Center to show horses several times a year and our Cairn Terrier, Baxter, is a member of the Family (and better behaved than many children ;-) ) The Holiday Inn Express could not have been more accomodating for him (even not giving us a hard time for bringing him to the eating area which I later realized was a no-no, whoops!) Beds were comfortable with nice linens- decor a little outdated but not horrible. A new fave in Lexington (old fave was the Hampton Inn, but they are NOT pet friendly.) We couldn't get the internet to work, unfortunately...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This hotel is very clean although the decor (lots of flowery wallpaper) and amenities are a little dated. No flat screen TVs here! We stayed at this hotel after an uncomfortable night at the Wingate nearby, and this is a much better choice. The room, a king suite, was quite small and the sofa bed was a twin -- not big enough for our 9 and 11 year old children. The room and bathroom were very clean and smelled fresh. The bed was fairly firm but we slept well. Breakfast was average, but did include a pancake maker and the rolls this chain is known for. All the staff were very helpful and attentive. For the limited options in Lexington, this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family