“Nice hotel near Virginia Horse Center” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Lexington

Wingate by Wyndham Lexington
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice hotel near Virginia Horse Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is a good quality hotel convenient to the Horse Center (less than a mile away) where we were attending an event and to downtown. It is nicely situated with views of the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I would have liked to be able to crack my window open a bit since the evening air was lovely when I was there and the AC unit, though serviceable, was somewhat temperamental and hard to adjust so that the room tended to be either too warm or too cold.

The room was spacious and nicely furnished with a desk, comfortable chair and plenty of surfaces for suitcases. There were also plenty of conveniently located electric outlets for plugging in chargers for phones, laptops, etc., a feature which many hotels fall short on but which I really appreciate. Wifi service was good--providing a good signal and adequate bandwidth.

There was a nice full breakfast with a wide selection although I would have preferred a fresh fruit salad rather than the ubiquitous apples, oranges and bananas--easier to eat and more of a treat.

The pool is indoor with sliding windows that can be opened in nice weather. The fitness facility had the standard equipment which appeared to be in good repair--although self-conscious exercisers should be aware that a full wall of windows front onto a main thoroughfare of the hotel. I did not use either of these amenities but they seemed nice enough.

I got quite a good room-rate by making reservations directly on the hotel chain's website.

Room Tip: The views from the higher floors on the back side of the hotel are the nicest.
    • 4 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lexington, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to respond to Trip Advisor and letting others know of your stay here at the Wingate by Wyndham. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and found accommadations to your liking. I will see what I can do about incorporating fruit salad on our breakfast bar more often. We hope to see you again if you return to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

easy to get to nice place. good room. would stay here again. down town close to motel.

Room Tip: get a king bed
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The staff and I hope to see you again on a return visit.
Little Rock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I made my second trip to Lexington and stayed at the Wyndham again and it was even better than my trip last fall. I was there for two nights and the room was neat and clean. The breakfast buffet was adequate - my only complaint is that coffee cups are too small!

The view from the room is pleasant and the rooms are quite large. Many thanks to the staff for being so inviting. This hotel is a good value.

• 4 of 5 stars
gmwingatelex, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lexington, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will pass along your kind words to our staff. We take a lot of pride in providing a clean, comfortable and friendly hotel so we appreciate you taking the time to recognize us! We hope to see you again!
Springfield, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My hubby, one year old, and I arrived at the hotel hot and tired, ready to check in and get to bed, but there was no staff to be seen. We walked around, called "hello," but it was nearly 10 minutes before a male staff member showed up to check us in. We got our room and walked into it to find it stifling and about 85 degrees. We turned on the A/C, and it coughed out dusty warm air for a while before finally pumping some slightly colder air out. We waited a bit, and it was clear the room was going to take a long while to cool off, so I went down to the lobby to ask for another room. The staff member said the hotel was booked, and sorry, we were out of luck. Back in our room, our one year old was running around in just a diaper, his face red and his body hot, so we decided to give him a bath to cool him off. The bathtub spurted out brown water. I tried the sink, and it too spurted out brown water. I went down to the lobby to complain, and a female staff member took our room number and said someone would be up to help us. No one ever came up, so I went back downstairs to the lobby yet again, ready to check out and ask for a refund. The male staff member who told us the hotel was booked heard about our brown water, went upstairs with me to see for himself, then said he'd move us to another room. So two hours after we checked in, we were moved into another room. The room had a strong chemical smell, but it was cool and had clear water. This rates as my worst check-in experience ever.

Regarding the hotel itself, it's not bad. Our room was clean, though looking a bit dated. The fitted sheets on the bed don't fit, so when you roll, they roll with you. The hotel breakfast buffet was great for us, but there were only two high chairs and a lot of families with young children. If you need a high chair, be prepared to have your kid sit on your lap or bring your own chair. The indoor pool had cloudy water, but we swam in it and survived. There's a Ruby Tuesday's right next to the hotel, which was great for us when looking for a place to get food quickly.

Overall, we won't be staying here again. It's a mediocre hotel, and combined with our bad check-in experience, we'll be avoiding this one in the future.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Carol S
We are truly sorry that you had a disappointing experience with us and apologize for the issues you encountered with our product and service. We take our guest feedback very seriously and are already taking actions to improve upon the items you mentioned in your review. The Wingate By Wyndham Lexington is committed to providing excellent service and a high quality hotel and this is certainly not indicative of the levels we strive to achieve. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further and to extend a gesture of good will in hopes that you will visit us again in the future.
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I picked this hotel as the ratings & price were reasonable. The staff was very friendly at check in and responded to my request for a high floor. The room was clean and we had a nice view of the surrounding mountains but we were surprised to find that the bathroom counter was pulled away from the wall as if someone had sat on it; there were cigarette burns on the bathroom and coffee counters. Not sure if they recently changed the hotel to all non-smoking or if someone had taken liberties in the room; there was a slight hint of tobacco left in the room, even though it was clearly cleaned. The shower had a nice spray head but the pipes squealed during the entire time the water was on. The indoor pool was very nice as was the jacuzzi; the pool area was clean and the water temp was perfect.

Room Tip: I noted that the management said the hotel was undergoing renovations this year so if you choose thi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stopped here for the night while traveling cross country. It was one of the more reasonably priced places in the area we were looking to stay. Check in was easy and room was clean and comfortable. Decor is a bit dated and hotel is starting to show some minor aging. All in all very nice and on par with its pricing. Breakfast was ok, but all the coffee was terrible. After the breakfast coffee was undrinkable, I went to my room and made a cup. It was worse. Abandoned ship and went to a gas station to get my morning cup. Staff was very friendly and location to the interstate is perfect. We would stay again no problem.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Latham, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed here on a road trip through the Shenandoah valley. The room was large honey and CLEAN. The cost for a king bed on the top floor(4th) ranges from 99-116. We would definetly stay stay again! The staff was warm friendly helpful and inviting. Breakfast was fast hot and plentiful. There is a fitness vented pool and hot tub all open from 10a-10p.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple