“Absolutley Awesome!!!”

yahoo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Absolutley Awesome!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

My child is a "Rat" here. And I still remember the day that we drove up Letcher Ave. to visit the campus. It took my breath away. You feel like you are stepping back into another time. A time of castles, princesses and knights in shiny armor. The scenery is breathtaking, the museum is unbelievable. And every time that I visit, I am still in awe.

Visited October 2011

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“DO NOT MISS THE CADETS REVIEW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

Just got back from weekend in Lexington and happen to be there on Friday at 4:30 when the cadets marched in their review. Do not miss it. It was one of the best things of the weekend. My wife had to go and buy a CD of the band after seeing it. she decide at that time that our 4 month grandson should go to school there.

Visited November 2011
Nashville, Tennessee
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A "Must Visit" when in Lexington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I resigned myself to the VMI visit as my husband's father is a graduate, and my husband very much wanted to tour the post.
At the end of our three days in Lexington, I would rate this as the Number One site we visited. The grounds are beautiful, and we enjoyed our visit to the museum and it's impressive collection. We were fortunate to catch the noon tour led by one of the VMI cadets. The tour lasts approximately one hour. Our guide was a very personable fourth year cadet who was able to convey the rich history of VMI with enthusiasm and a great deal of humor. I walked away with renewed respect for the young men and women who attend VMI and survive the first year (as a "rat") to complete the program. I would encourage anyone visiting the Lexington area to make the VMI tour a top priority.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank TnTraveler508
Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Drove into Lexington just as the VMI cadets were marching to the stadium for a football game. Quite a sight. Campus very interesting including the VMI museum. Adjoins Washington and Lee U which is also worth a tour.

Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Don't Miss This One! Educational and Historic.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We can't say enough good about our visit to VMI. Founded in 1839, VMI is a 4-year undergraduate college and is the nation's first state-supported military college. VMI ranks high in military colleges throughout the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report, ranking third in the country (West Point & Annapolis ranking 1st & 2nd).

Most famous to graduate from VMI is World War II Five-Star General, George C. Marshall. Be sure to visit the large George Marshall Museum on post which hosts a vast library and archives. For you history buffs, Marshall served as Army Chief-Of-Staff, General of the Army, Emissary to China, U.S. Secretary of State, U.S. Secretary of Defense, President of Red Cross & Nobel Peace Prize Laureate.

Civil War General Stonewall Jackson taught at VMI, and his stuffed horse, Little Sorrel, can be seen at the VMI Museum. near the raincoat that Stonewall Jackson was wearing when he was mortally wounded. The coat is displayed so that visitors can see the bullet hole.

The lovely parade grounds is bordered and encircled by the VMI library, classrooms, the stately barracks, the administration buildings and the officers' quarters. There's a small but nicely-done PX where you can grab a sandwich, salad or snacks, open to the public most days while school is in session.

Don't miss the opportunity to visit this most historic site, and stop for a conversation with one of the cadets. You won't be sorry.

Visited May 2011