“Had a great weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 21 Lexington B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“Had a great weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed there for a weekend with friends who also had young children. We were the only ones in the main house, which is a step back in time. Despite reading other reviews that portrayed this place negatively, we had a great time at a place that reminded me of staying over at my grandmother's house (all the warm fuzzies included). It was quite nostalgic and it was great to sit out on the front porch or balcony with some wine and good friends!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
      Location
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank mamaluvs2travel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Dead flies in the bath, musty, damp and right beside the main road...not how it's portrayed by the website. Service was polite and good however.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
3 Thank Binky1390
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My only criticisms of this hotel are that there is no safe in the room and there is no Wi-Fi. I left my laptop and valuables on a table in my room and nothing was stolen. It is that kind of hotel. Quiet, secure, and with friendly service. The rooms I saw were spotless, and the furniture was Victorian-style but in excellent shape. The art work was Victorian, and there were ceramic logs in the in-room gas fireplace. The floor was shiny, random-width wood plank (probably the original), set off by attractive area rugs. US highway 11 was visible from my window but I never heard a sound from it. The continental breakfast was ample with yogurt, juice, cereal, milk, coffee, fruit, bagels, jams, and various rolls and sweet breads.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank Upsilon6
Glenville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We had a reservation for two nights, and left after the first night. In spite of what their website says, there is NO resturant, and no lounge. The room in which we stayed had not been maintained well. There was pleanty of room, but it was just not functional. The A/C made noise all night sounding like a dish washer (my wife's description). My wife said that the room was not cleaned well enough. Security was lacking, since the front desk was vacant from 8 PM until the next morning about 7 AM.
Sorry, we'll not return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank JRWJR
Rockville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

In spite of the other negative reviews, I loved this place! Was only able to stay one night, but I want to go back soon and stay several nights. True, it's next to the noisy Route 81, but I pretended it was the roar of Civil War guns (I know, it's a stretch). Still my room was very charming with a big bed. Yes, the bath was small, but I didn't need anything large and fancy. I didn't care about having a remote for the TV - I was there to step back into the past, not watch TV. I did not eat any of the food, so I can't say whether it was good or not. The pool could have stood some cleaning, but I just sat on the side and dangled my feet in the water. What made up for any drawbacks were the beautiful rolling hills all around and other breathtaking scenery. The house seems to be in a state of arrested deterioration, but by no means is it a dump. Nor was it pristine perfect. But it was just right for me.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

It's true that what looks lovely on the web is a little deceiving - Maple Hall is right next to a freeway and a busy highway. However, once you're in your room, the noise isn't a problem - although it is disappointing not to be able to relax outside. The real problem I had with Maple Hall is that it needs a deep cleaning!! Linens and carpets are OK - but good grief, the breakfast chairs are full of cobwebs, the bathroom door looked like it had never been cleaned and the front porch - the entry way! - hadn't been swept or mopped for weeks!! Maple Hall feels like it is on its last legs. Wouldn't recommend it (although the care taker was quite pleasant and helpful.)

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank MickeySeattle
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

My husband and I reserved a room for one night at Maple Hall expecting a "grand" country inn, instead we found a dilapidated and noisy old home with very little charm. The hotel is right off interstate 81 and route 11, so it was very noisy all day and night. There is not much at all to the rooms, other than that they are quite large. The televisions have no remote, no cable. The bathrooms are very cramped even for 2 people. The grounds were unkempt. At the time we stayed, the room had bugs in it. When we complained to the staff and asked to be transferred to one of the more modern buildings, they refused an upgrade (despite the fact that we were the only guests in the hotel that night!). Unwilling to pay any more money at the facility, we hastily left early. This hotel is appropriate for history buffs who only require something "historic." The size of the building is impressive, but that's about it. If you are looking for a cozy, pampered B&B feel, look elsewhere. We truly regret having stayed here.

• Stayed April 2002
35 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Hampton Inn Lexington - Historic District
502 South Main
502 South Main
#1 of 21 in Lexington
5.0 of 5 stars 230 reviews

Been to Maple Hall Inn? Share your experiences!