“Great beer, food comes up a bit short”

Vintage 50 Restaurant and Brew Lounge
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Market Street
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great beer, food comes up a bit short”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Made my first visit to Vintage 50, after much excitement about hearing many good things. The beer is great....cask based, and very smooth. If you like beer, it's worth the trip alone just for that. The food, falls into this strange area of trying to be fancy, but not hitting the mark. My wife had the rissotto and shrimp. It was good, but one of the shrimp was undercooked. We had wings to start....guess what? one was raw in the middle. My meal was good...but again not great. If I go again, which I probably will, I will stick to the bar food like burgers, onion rings, and beer.

If I want a really good meal, I'd rather go to Tuscarora Mill or Lightfoot...heck...or Fireworks Pizza for 20% of the price.

Recommendation: Try it...but keep expectations in check.

• Visited September 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good, But Not Impressive”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

In fairness, we only went for late night appetizers. Their beer is very good. Nice variety for that. The food was ho-hum. Some dishes came out luke-warm. Generally speaking, nothing there to make me rush back. Based on some of the reviews here, I might give it a second chance.

• Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Food as good as the beer!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

large party of out of towners in Leesburg for a funeral popped into this place for a VERY pleasant surprise! The handcrafted beers were a fabulous (one non-beer drinker ordered a 2nd Honey Chile Beer!) The wine selection good (the red Zin slightly chilled as it should be) and truly delicious food - mussels, fried chicken, gourmet sausage plate all exceeded expectations. The service was prompt and friendly and knowledgeable - and thanks to Happy Hour extending into the restaurant, the prices were very reasonable as well.

• Visited August 2012
Purcellville, Virginia
“2nd experience deserves an updated review”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was not impressed with Vintage 50 the first go around.

I have to say, the 2nd go (had 2 gift cards to use) was so much better.

If nothing strikes you on the dinner menu - ask for the bar or pub menu. I didn't know it existed the first time I ate here but on the 2nd trip I did since I looked on the online menu and didn't see a lot of the items on the online menu once we arrived there.

We got the following appetizers: Hot pretzel, hummus and pierogis. All was YUMMY bordering on excellent.

I got a salad for "dinner" since I pigged out on appetizers. The wedge salad was good, would have been lot's better with just a little more bacon and a little less blue cheese.

My hubby got the fried chicken breast. It was delicious. The mashed potatoes were delicious too.

My son got a burger that he enjoyed and my daughter fish n chips that she gobbled up as well.

A trio twenty-somethings sat down next to us and ordered a few flat bread pizzas. Those looked terrific as well :)

• Visited July 2012
Worldwide
“Decent food, happy service, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Went on a Sunday afternoon for brunch. To start, we ordered the 50/50 sliders: a blend of burger and bacony goodness, topped with cheddar cheese and caramelized onions, served on top of mini brioche buns (mouth is still watering). My friend got the turkey burger topped with pepperjack and coleslaw, and he was happy. Our server was so enthusiastic about the steak and eggs that I just had to order it...and the steak did not disappoint. The steak (ordered medium) was cooked to perfection (though it could have rested a bit more before coming out since the juices had run all over the plate). Nonetheless, it was flavorful and tender. The eggs were "meh", just eggs. The potatoes were not so good, not seasoned well, and overpowered by the red peppers they were cooked with ( I love peppers, but this was just an unpleasantly dominant flavor over the blandness of the unseasoned potatoes). The orange juice I ordered was not orange juice, and I was highly disappointed with that. It's a cool place though, nice bar atmosphere, and despite the above failings, I would go back, though this is not on my list of recommendations to friends.

• Visited June 2012