“Green Tree is Closed and Old Town Grill is Open”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Green Tree

The Green Tree
Ranked #139 of 212 Restaurants in Leesburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Virginia
“Green Tree is Closed and Old Town Grill is Open”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The Green Tree has closed and Old Town Grill Steak and Seafood was opened in its place by the same owner. The food is contemporary. Mostly steaks, a few chicken dishes, and a few fish dishes (2 fish, 1 shrimp and a crab dish don't make something a seafood restaurant to me, sorry). Based strictly on the food we had, I would give 5 stars, but the service was odd at best. Food first: we had delicious mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat for an appetizer, the bread was delicious, the salad was great and our filet mignon (with to-die-for purple potato mash) was excellent. The following things were odd about the service: We waited a very long time for our entree--everyone else seemed to be getting their food but we kept waiting with not a word (when it came, the waitress forgot to bring steak knives, not the biggest deal, but it went along with the general absentmindedness). We didn't get bread even though everyone else did. I asked for it finally when we got our appetizers and the waitress said they ran out of butter (at 6:15 pm on a Saturday?!), but I asked her to bring the bread anyway (and it was so delicious it didn't need butter). Putting aside the question of why they ran out of butter so early (and why everyone around us magically had it), why would you simply decide to not bring bread to one of the tables while everyone else had it??? Shouldn't you ask if people want bread without the butter? Lastly, when I called to make a reservation at the Green Tree I was told that the restaurant was closed and this opened in its place, with the same ownership. I explicitly asked if the entertainment book coupon was still accepted and was told that it was. When we were paying, we gave our credit card and the Entertainment Book card. The receipt comes back--same price. We asked the waitress why she hadn't applied the discount and she said that she had no clue what the entertainment card was so she just ignored it. (Seriously?! Someone intentionally puts an extra card in there and you just shrug your shoulders and ignore it and don't even ask what it is if you don't know?). Suffice it to say that she called the manager who said that they don't accept the discount for the Green Tree. I reiterated that I had just spoken to someone at the restaurant before I called who said they did (I'm pretty sure she was standing a few feet away but kept mum). The manager, who obviously had a brain, said that if that was the case the would certainly apply the discount. So it ended fine, but really guys, you need to get your act together. Everyone else around, by the way, got their food quickly, so I don't know if we just got a waitress who was out to lunch.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Earth3003

Alexandria, Virginia
“Warm and inviting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I'm surprised at all of the negative reviews for The Green Tree. My wife and I have eaten here several times and have enjoyed every visit. The food is good, the staff is friendly and I like the warm atmosphere. We went there for dinner on New Years Eve and were pleasantly surprised to get a window table without any wait. Considering the holiday, we were expecting chaos, but were treated to a warm, pleasant evening. Definitely not fine dining and I could see how some might consider this place a little kooky - I thought it was rather charming.

• Visited January 2012
Philomont, Virginia
“Same old stuff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is one of a number of downtown Leesburg restaurants that are all owned by the same person ... and the quality of food is the same substandard at all of them. While the menu items may sound great, when the food comes it is uninspired and costs a lot for what you get. I won't be returning here anytime soon when there are so many better choices in town.

2 Thank JRWLPC
Alexandria, Virginia
“NEW LOOK, NEW CHEF, NEW MENU”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Last week i had the privilege to sit with the New CHEF of the Green Tree and see what hes done with the place. The owner has brought this young exciting chef in to help replace the 35+ year old menu into a fresh STEAK HOUSE theme with a TAPAS menu. Working together they have totally redone the dinning room from drab to FAB with new colors and walls. The globally ranked chef has brought with him new staples like smoked bacon wrapped scallops with hollandaise and a goat cheese, basil lemon butter topped in house HAND CUT filets to the plate. As well as inventing some vegetarian items, all from scratch. If you even dinned with them before, as i have, i employ you to come back to a new experience. They will be RE-OPENING early October for all occasions.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank akaknob
Sterling, Virginia
“Peaceful atmosphere, attentive service and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

My husband and I stopped at the The Green Tree for lunch on Saturday and it was a delight. This was our second lunchtime visit. We returned specifically so my husband could order the egg casserole he enjoyed so much on our first visit. He was not disappointed. Both the herb soup and clam chowder soup were delicious. My lunch, although basic in that it was an omelet and roasted potatoes, was nicely prepared and very tasty. Everything was nicely seasoned and arrived piping hot. We enjoyed the low-key and quiet atmosphere-although there was classical music playing softly, there were no TVs anywhere, which was such a lovely change from most restaurants! Our server (Richard) was very friendly and pleasant. He was attentive and checked in with us as we enjoyed our meal We hope to return to enjoy the brunch menu very soon.

• Visited February 2011