“Adorable, but overpriced. I'd go here for the experience of eating in an Italian restaurant with a bullet hole in the...”
Review of Bella Luna - CLOSED

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Adorable, but overpriced. I'd go here for the experience of eating in an Italian restaurant with a bullet hole in the window and to have the servers serenade you.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

leesburg
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed February 28, 2008

This was the worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant! I took my grandmother that came to visit from out of town thinking it was a more upscale and tasteful place. I was wrong. The service was lacking. Half my party was served first. My mother and I were served almost 20 mins later (we ordered the same dish). My mother and I got our meals and I could smell that the clams were bad before the waitress laid the dish infront of me. But I still went in for a bite. Once it was in my mouth I had to spit it out as politely as I could. My moms was as spoiled too. After trying to figure out what was wrong with the meal the waitress explained to us that "the chef did not want to be there that night and wasn't aware of the expiration date of the clams that were served to us!" If that wasn't bad enough she somehow managed to say that we could order another entree at no charge but at the time of the check the dishes were still charged. By then we all just wanted to leave! My mother and I didn't eat except for bread and soda and even though we made a case of not having to pay for the entire check they finally only took off the two seafood dishes. I had my 1 year old son with me at the time and he was eating regular food by then. With that lack of attention to such an important factor of running a good restaurant I will never take my son or recommend this restaurant to anybody! In fact I make it a point to steer people away! If we would of eaten the clam dishes we would of been sick by negligence of the chef and manager. What's worse is that the manager did not show any remorse for the situation. The poor waitress was caught in the middle being the messenger between my party and the manager.
I have to say there was nothing wrong that I know of with my grandmothers or husbands dishes but come on!

1 Thank LuvFoodLeesburg
Fairfax
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Italian Restaurant???”
Reviewed February 17, 2008

Last night, Saturday, we had dinner at the Bella Luna. We will never go there again having had a very bad experience as did the previous reviewer. Our party of four arrived at 6 PM and were seated at a very nice table. When we asked about wine, the waiter presented us with two bottles of red wine assuming, I suppose, we were to choose one. Since two in our party wanted white wine and two red, we opted for single glasses. The waiter said that the only white wine they had was Chardonnay. When he returned he had a large bottle of Pinot Grigio in his hand indicating that was the only white wine they had. The Chianti I had was good.

We each ordered salads; three accepted the house dressing and I asked for oil and vinegar. The waiter mumbled, “There’s one in every crowd.” The oil and vinegar was presented, already mixed, in a small white cup. Three in our party ordered fish dishes and I ordered a pork dish. There were no obvious Italian items on the menu.

When we were served, we were all served fish. I told the waiter that I had not ordered fish so he took it back. Another staffer came over and apologized for the error the kitchen made. Since everyone else had already been served, they were urged to begin eating. As they were halfway through their meals, the pork dish arrived and the meat was very tough and not fully cooked. When the waiter asked how it was I told him and he said he would replace it with a fish dish. When that came, the others were nearly finished with their meals.

This restaurant is very over priced with most items on the limited menu in the high $20s and low $30s. The ambiance is good enabling conversation. There was Frank Sinatra recording playing in the background (a nod to trying to be an Italian Restaurant) coming from what appeared to be a single source to the rear of the place.

1 Thank mp10419
Lovettsville
“Nice Atmosphere, but food is lacking”
Reviewed October 21, 2007

My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at this place last evening and will definitely avoid it in the future.

We arrived promptly at 7 PM per our reservation and were seated at a very nice table by the window at the street where we could watch the coming and goings of the pre-halloweeners. The restaurant had a great atmosphere. With candle-lit tables and the tunes of Frank Sinatra softly playing, we anticipated an excellent meal.

That was when the disappointments began.

We promptly placed our orders for meals and appetizers. I ordered that night’s special which was shrimp and red snapper served over a bed of linguini and my wife a pasta carbonarra dish. Fifty minutes later, our appetizers arrived with an apology from the waiter for the time, but with no explanation other than something about the portabella mushrooms had taken a long time. The appetizers were simple and at 7 PM the restaurant was not busy.

A little later, my wife’s meal arrived looking like they had been cooked an hour earlier. My plate didn’t come for another 20 minutes and when it did, my “linguini” looked like wide egg noodles that were dry and stuck together and the fish was cooked with no imagination at all. Any chain restaurant could have prepared a much better meal at a third the price.

I guess the waiter did feel guilty for the amount of time it took and took off the cost of the two glasses of wine without prompting. Thanks.

Overall, the meal was probably the worst of any nice restaurant attended in recent memory and the wait staff could have and should have offered some explanation as to why people seated 45 minutes after us were getting their meals at the same time.

My advice is to go for the atmosphere but don't expect anything special for the food.

Dave C.