“Not what it used to be”

Cuisines: Thai
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I have been eating here since they opened. Our most recent visit failed to meet our expectations. I don’t know if they have changed ownership or what is going on, but the quality of the food and the service have all gone downhill. It’s almost like they should be takeout only–the evening had a whole rushed feeling. We had a flavorless calamari for our appetizer, which was brought out at the same time as the entree. The entrees were edible but way overpriced for what we were getting. Very disappointed.

• Visited March 2014

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We started visiting Burapa Thai at their former Ashburn location. Now to get our fix we hit this location. The quality has been consistently superb from day 1. It is the only restaurant that I can has never served me a bad meal.

Edmonds, Washington
“A Surprise”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This restaurant is located in what feels like a drive-thru strip mall. Surrounded by other restaurants and stores, it is perhaps not the one with the most curb appeal, but inside there is a wealth of honest Thai food and a helpful and friendly staff. This is an excellent place to go when Joe's is crowded, or when fine Thai food is desired.

• Visited September 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“YUM - reasonable price for nice combo lunch”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have been twice. The first time they were very accommodating to our large group which stayed a long time. However, the restaurant was not busy, our servers were fine, and we tipped well. Everyone enjoyed their food including the mango and sticky rice desserts. The second time it was just two of us. They have a luncheon combo special which allows you to get two dishes with rice for a very reasonable price. The meat and seafood combo is $3 more than the veggie combo, but they are both excellent. This way two people get to share four different dishes – YUM! I like that they offer brown rice for an additional $1 charge. For my taste, brown rice nicely complements the vegetable dishes, while white rice goes better with chicken, pork, beef, and fish. This restaurant has lovely décor as well and parking was not an issue. Burapa Thai is in my top 5 Thai restaurants and I’ve tried quite a few. Very close to five bubbles IMO.

• Visited May 2013
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Disappointed for more than one reason. Portion size, mix of tofu to veggies and shorted order. We love Thai and, depending on what errand we are on, frequent Thai by Thai in Sterling or Aiyara in Leesburg. We usually get the vegetarian Kaprow and Asian Ginger wherever we are. My wife was in Lansdowne so thought she would try take-out from Burapa to give them a try. She ordered our regular plus two brown rice for a one dollar up charge. When we opened things up at home we found no brown rice even though we were charged for it. The white rice was in containers about half the size of the other two restaurants we frequent. The meals themselves were pretty much just tofu stir fried in a sauce. The Asian Ginger menu says that it is with onions, scallions, mushroom and fresh ginger. If there was one whole mushroom and one whole scallion I would be surprised. The Kaprow was supposed to be with chili, garlic and basil leaves. I found one basil leaf, no garlic and part of a chili. The flavors were fine but 95 percent tofu for dinner is not very tasty.

• Visited June 2013