“High Prices, less than average food quality. . .”
Review of Ironwood Tavern - CLOSED

Ironwood Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 15
Description: The art of cooking with wood enhances the Ironwood Tavern"s experience with bold flavors simply not found with alternative cooking methods. Executive Chef Luis incorporates the seasonal offerings such as beef, pork, poultry, seafood and fresh produce from small local farms and purveyors for our cuisine. Craft beer is our focus and our passion. All of our 24 craft beers on draft reflect a personal vision. Our craft beer list is different, intriguing, and constantly evolving, like the world of craft beer itself. A menu that features styles from all over the world, but is predominantly American and local in focus. Our craft beer experts works with chef Luis to develop the menus, and that the pair sometimes start with the beer and work backwards to the food from there.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My first time here was on Easter for their brunch and it will be my last, unfortunately.

The price per head was $34.95 and you would expect some pretty good food. Upon our arrival to the restaurant, the parking lot was empty. I questioned if the place was even open until we opened the doors.

We were greeted by one of their employees (all their employees were very friendly and professional). We were seated and drinks were ordered. It was us and another party in the restaurant, we must have not received the memo of "do not eat here". Also, the atmosphere reminded me of an upscale biker bar, if one exists, this would be it.

The buffet has a wide variety of food which was perfect for a brunch, however the quality was lacking. The french toast was coated with what seemed like old stale frosted flakes. The ham looked like it was leftovers from last Easter. They tried to be fancy with the butter putting lemon shavings ( I think) mixed in with the butter, it was horrible. I asked for regular butter, which they brought but it was melted. Not asking for the moon here, just want regular butter. No need to fancy it up or read my mind because both failed, regular butter for my biscuit please.

Prior to writing this review, a poster commented on the coffee. I had the regular coffee and it tasted low grade, I think Sheetz has better coffee than these guys and I can't stand their coffee.

Maybe their regular service is better but the prior comments pointed to high prices and average (to less) than quality food. Regardless of what else is written, that really hits the nail on the head. High prices, average (to less than average) quality of food.

Again, the service and the crew were really nice, love it! The food lacked a lot of quality.

Truly,

V---V

Reviewed March 24, 2013

The food quality and amount did not match the prices that they are charging. We went for a Saturday night dinner with the family. The atmosphere is ok the service was very good and the meals arrived quickly. The issue we had was that the food was just average and the prices are high for what you are getting. No one in our party had a bad meal but no one had a great meal. I can't say that I would never go there again but I definitely don't plan to go back.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We didn't even knew this gem of a restaurant existed, especially between Walmart and Burger King, if it weren't for a work function. The bartender, Nicki, was nice, attentive, and efficient. She was knowledgeable about the drink menu and there is an excellent selection of beer. She suggested a smooth red wine that I enjoyed and my husband enjoyed the draft beer. The barstools were about 80% full while we were sitting at the bar. We choose to sit down at a table for dinner. Our server, Tim, was friendly, knowledgeable about the menu, and efficient. He was able to answer our questions about the menu and gave good suggestions. We started off with the crab dip, which was served on a medium-sized oval plate, with freshly fried tortilla chips, and a smaller, shallow oval ramekin with hot crab dip. It was a good portion for two people. My husband ordered the lamb chop special that came on a triangular plate with a portion of lamb at each corner, served with wild rice, and three grilled carrot spears. It was well seasoned and he enjoyed it. I ordered the Corvina, a mild fish, entree, which came with a scoop of garlic mashed potatoes, a generous portion of corvina, and three grilled asparagus spears on top. For dessert, we originally wanted to order the chocolate cake advertised on the "Specials" sheet, but it was sold it, so we settled for the white chocolate cheesecake, which was served on top of a swirl of raspberry puree, and a dollop of whipped cream. The server also informed us that they make their own iced tea and sweetened iced tea. He suggested that I try it with half unsweetened and half sweetened tea -- which was just right. Overall, this was an excellent visit. I would suggest either better signage or lighting so that it can be seen from Edwards Ferry Rd like the uplighting of Blue Ridge Grill. The "Tavern" part of the Ironwood Tavern Sign facing the service road that goes to the traffic light was not lit. The glass of wine and beer cost about $16; the meal portion cost about $66.

1  Thank annapolissailing
Reviewed March 14, 2013

While I think it's still the best of leesburg, price, food...I have noticed a few things, first you now get mini corn rolls, which are good, not so much the BBQ butter, I would offer good real butter or cinnamon butter, no simple side salads offered, like a house salad, should be on menu as a choice. The steaks are very good, especially with the Myers mustard sauce I requested with my last filet, that's a winner, should offer a sirloin steak as well, rib eye can be too fatty, ground sirloin would be smart as well, their ice cream brownie sundae has gotten less syrup, more cake like, but being a diabetic, and I shouldn't have to begin with, is a plus for me, some might be a bit disappointed . Wine list is ultra cheap, meaning for the price, the offerings are pretty bad, especially with leesburg vintner in town, mike the owner could improve there offerings, but it's mostly a beers from all over which is their specialty. If I owed the place, I would add a few more options, such as catfish, the sirloin, some wheat rolls, house salad. A lot of the bigger tables for families with kids are too high for high chairs, this should be remedied. But over all, this is a great addition to the burg. Just need to expand a bit. Burgers are excellent, service is good, atmosphere pretty low, but it doesn't bother me, great bar, great beers, great bargain.

1  Thank ndirish55
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We were there yesterday for dinner. Ordered salmon salad, chicken burger and wings, all cooked perfectly and delicious.
Also ordered sample beer flight and enjoyed drinks. We will go back.