“Dingy but delicious”

The Cajun Experience
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Www.cajunexperience.biz
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

If you can get past the dingy and dated interior (or just sit outside like we did), the food is pretty good! The hush puppies were huge and just right the way they should be: crispy outside, tender inside. There was a nice level of spice to the jambalaya (just one little shrimp in the whole serving though!) and the gumbo had some good heat to it too. The service is slow and the plates are all chipped, but overall, not too bad for NoVA.

There are newer reviews for The Cajun Experience

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have always received great food. Don't go if you have a time constraint as the resteraunt is slow in serving but worth the wait in freshness and authentic tast.

Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

If you like Cajun, or just want to try Cajun, this is the place for you. The food is consistently very good to great. We've tried most of the items on the menu and have enjoyed them all. Serving sizes are big. The only thing I'd change is the chairs. Not sure what it is, but they're really uncomfortable.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We hosted an engagement party for our daughter and her husband-to-be with a New Orleans theme. She and I had lunch here one day to check out the food, we ate outside in the back. I have never been to New Orleans, but my daughter proclaimed it authentic when we walked up the stairs and in the front door, only to retrace our steps and walk around the building to the back. The outside area in the back is nice, trees overhead, nothing fancy. Lunch was very good with delicious beignets after we finished our lunch, so I decided to order some food for the party. Everyone gobbled up the muffalettas, which Cajun Experience cut in half and I cut in half again, they are huge sandwiches. They were a hit. Then I served the bread pudding for dessert. People came back for seconds and a couple of guests, who were born and raised in New Orleans, said it was the best bread pudding they had ever had! Nothing fancy here, don't be put off by the lack of decor, you'll enjoy the food!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Cajun Experience is my kind of place - a joint that serves up a memorable menu. But I really wish their jambalaya and other Cajun offerings were more like what you get in the south - spice it up! The ambiance is nothing to speak off, but overall a good value for the dollar.