WINNER WONDERLAND

The Cajun Experience
Ranked #34 of 211 Restaurants in Leesburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: www.cajunexperience.biz
Leesburg, Virginia
“Great party food--bread pudding was a hit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We hosted an engagement party for our daughter and her husband-to-be with a New Orleans theme. She and I had lunch here one day to check out the food, we ate outside in the back. I have never been to New Orleans, but my daughter proclaimed it authentic when we walked up the stairs and in the front door, only to retrace our steps and walk around the building to the back. The outside area in the back is nice, trees overhead, nothing fancy. Lunch was very good with delicious beignets after we finished our lunch, so I decided to order some food for the party. Everyone gobbled up the muffalettas, which Cajun Experience cut in half and I cut in half again, they are huge sandwiches. They were a hit. Then I served the bread pudding for dessert. People came back for seconds and a couple of guests, who were born and raised in New Orleans, said it was the best bread pudding they had ever had! Nothing fancy here, don't be put off by the lack of decor, you'll enjoy the food!

• Visited July 2012

Leesburg, Virginia
“Spice it up!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Cajun Experience is my kind of place - a joint that serves up a memorable menu. But I really wish their jambalaya and other Cajun offerings were more like what you get in the south - spice it up! The ambiance is nothing to speak off, but overall a good value for the dollar.

Visited February 2012
Northern Virginia
“Don't Waste Your Time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We had meant to try this restaurant months ago, but it is just far away enough from our home that the logistics never quite seemed to work out. Then we found ourselves out in Leesburg on another matter in early evening, and thought "perfect opportunity". Our first impression on entering the eatery - I can't really call it a restaurant - was, this isn't just "down home", or "basic", this is dirty, grungy and totally unappetizing. But we still persevered. We waited fruitlessly for 8 minutes and decided to seat ourselves. Since only one other table was occupied this was not a challenge. We waited a few more minutes and I went to the kitchen door and called out. A harassed and, sorry, none too clean individual (actual job description unknown) told me somebody "would be right with you". We waited a final five minutes (and yes, I am a "time freak" and made these timings ruthlessly and accurately) and left. During that whole time nobody had seen to the one other occupied table either; I somehow doubt that they ever ate. We love N'orleans cuisine but sorry, help yourself and give this place a miss. And by the way we have now officially given up on finding quality New Orleans style cooking outside of New Orleans.

• Visited July 2012
Aldie, Virginia
“If you leave hungry, it's your own fault!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Cajun Experience is delicious AND a bargain. (We came to this conclusion even before seeing that it was a Washingtonian Cheap Eats winner.) We had the chicken and sausage gumbo (sooo good), a fried shrimp po boy with house-made chips (even better), a grilled shrimp salad (a tasty option if you don't like fried things), two huge beignets, a beer and an iced tea--all for $33! Everything tasted fresh and came out of the kitchen piping hot. Service was friendly and fast. The decor isn't winning any awards, but aren't hole-in-the-wall places the best places? We're so glad we found this place.

• Visited June 2012
Washington, DC
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed the Cajun Experience. We dined outside and there was two men playing music which added to the experience. It was a very pleasant evening. We ordered the hush puppies for appetizer and I got the shrimp po boy and my husband got the seafood gumbo. They were both delicious. We enjoyed the food and the outdoor atmosphere. It is a small place, so if you are going, make reservations and if it is warm, ask to sit outside. The service was good, but the kitchen got backed up due to being busy and when we ordered dessert, after waiting about 30 minutes, we cancelled and just got check. Besides this, it was a great place to eat with good food. If you sit out back there is a nice place for kids to run around so you can sit and enjoy.

• Visited June 2012