“Spice it up!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Cajun Experience

The Cajun Experience
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cajun Experience is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 210 Restaurants in Leesburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: www.cajunexperience.biz
Leesburg, Virginia
“Spice it up!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Cajun Experience is my kind of place - a joint that serves up a memorable menu. But I really wish their jambalaya and other Cajun offerings were more like what you get in the south - spice it up! The ambiance is nothing to speak off, but overall a good value for the dollar.

Visited February 2012

Northern Virginia
“Don't Waste Your Time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We had meant to try this restaurant months ago, but it is just far away enough from our home that the logistics never quite seemed to work out. Then we found ourselves out in Leesburg on another matter in early evening, and thought "perfect opportunity". Our first impression on entering the eatery - I can't really call it a restaurant - was, this isn't just "down home", or "basic", this is dirty, grungy and totally unappetizing. But we still persevered. We waited fruitlessly for 8 minutes and decided to seat ourselves. Since only one other table was occupied this was not a challenge. We waited a few more minutes and I went to the kitchen door and called out. A harassed and, sorry, none too clean individual (actual job description unknown) told me somebody "would be right with you". We waited a final five minutes (and yes, I am a "time freak" and made these timings ruthlessly and accurately) and left. During that whole time nobody had seen to the one other occupied table either; I somehow doubt that they ever ate. We love N'orleans cuisine but sorry, help yourself and give this place a miss. And by the way we have now officially given up on finding quality New Orleans style cooking outside of New Orleans.

• Visited July 2012
Aldie, Virginia
“If you leave hungry, it's your own fault!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Cajun Experience is delicious AND a bargain. (We came to this conclusion even before seeing that it was a Washingtonian Cheap Eats winner.) We had the chicken and sausage gumbo (sooo good), a fried shrimp po boy with house-made chips (even better), a grilled shrimp salad (a tasty option if you don't like fried things), two huge beignets, a beer and an iced tea--all for $33! Everything tasted fresh and came out of the kitchen piping hot. Service was friendly and fast. The decor isn't winning any awards, but aren't hole-in-the-wall places the best places? We're so glad we found this place.

• Visited June 2012
Washington, DC
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed the Cajun Experience. We dined outside and there was two men playing music which added to the experience. It was a very pleasant evening. We ordered the hush puppies for appetizer and I got the shrimp po boy and my husband got the seafood gumbo. They were both delicious. We enjoyed the food and the outdoor atmosphere. It is a small place, so if you are going, make reservations and if it is warm, ask to sit outside. The service was good, but the kitchen got backed up due to being busy and when we ordered dessert, after waiting about 30 minutes, we cancelled and just got check. Besides this, it was a great place to eat with good food. If you sit out back there is a nice place for kids to run around so you can sit and enjoy.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Kudos from a real live Cajun & his wife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband is a Cajun from Cecilia, LA (near Lafayette, home of the owners from what I understand). And he and I have had quite a number of disappointing experiences with "Cajun" food in the past. Not this time! We each had a cup (a generous cup) of the seafood gumbo which tasted authentic and delicious, as if it was made using a real roux, although it could have used a little less salt (our ONLY complaint!). Then we each had a fried shrimp po-boy - delicious with obviously fresh fried shrimp and the right amount of sauce in a delicious roll. And of course we had to finish with the biegnets (not actually Cajun - more Creole from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans) but still wonderful! The food was excellent and reasonably priced for the luncheon special. I had a glass of house cabernet that was a generous pour and also reasonably priced. We will definitely be back - our server was lovely and the meal a very nice true Cajun experience.

• Visited May 2012