“Architectural Gem of a Library”

Thomas Balch Library
Ranked #26 of 79 things to do in Leesburg
Leesburg, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Architectural Gem of a Library”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Balch Library has an excellent collection of genealogical and historical research materials and is housed in a unique and historic building.

Visited December 2012

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful Genealogy Library”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Library not only has Virginia research material, but also many other states, as well. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. There are many useful databases, including Ancestry and Genealogy Bank. It is well worth your time to visit!

Visited September 2013
centerburg, ohio
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“lots of resources”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

they have so many resources and the staff is there to assist you in your research. Staff is very knowledgeable. It was never too busy so I could get personal attention.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank chippsch
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A Library With Attitude”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I love libraries. Books, quietness... a respite from the outside world. I visited the Balch Library to simply work on a book I'm writing. It's a beautifully-appointed library with a nice selection of reading and reference materials. There are no kids running around in the Balch library because I don't believe that it is allowed to have any shred of noisiness here.

Although the librarian manning the front desk was friendly enough, I had the odd feeling that I was less than welcomed. It's a bit of a pretentious atmosphere.

Although I find a larger, busy library a more difficult place to sit in peace and write or read, I never feel as if I'm not of the proper ilk to walk through the doors.

I appreciate the history and appointments at Balch Library, but for now I'll stick to visiting other local libraries and bookstores.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Funkybrunky
Leesburg, Virginia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Heritage and Art Meet Here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is an amazing library setting, with artwork that depicts major historical milestones of the local area. I coordinated a group program here on geneology for one of my organizations and the staff was very welcoming and instructional. They provided handouts as well as hands on resources for researching one's "roots." I've also gone back to attend their public talks on various aspects of history. A good place to visit!

Visited February 2012