New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Friendly staff but would not recommend staying here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The National Conference Center

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leesburg
The National Conference Center
You added The National Conference Center to your Saves list
Waco, Texas
“Friendly staff but would not recommend staying here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is mainly for business. I don't know why any individual would choose to pay for this place. I spent almost 4 weeks here on government contract. Rooms are small with only a full bed. No refrigerator or microwave. You are getting room and food therefore you eat in a cafeteria style area. Food is left over and used in the next days items. Many have been sick. You are too far from anything to walk so if you don't travel in with a car, you are spending money on a taxi. Finally, there are only 6 washers and 6 dryers for the entire place and with over 900 people here for 4 weeks, they run 24/7 and you are doing clothes whenever you can get a free machine.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Harleygal2006
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
First, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Our European sized guest rooms are designed to focus on the training experience. Complimentary wired and wireless internet, coffee makers and many other amenities are offered in every room. NCC is committed to our food safety processes to ensure our guests always have the best products and service in the industry. Our guest dining experience is designed to offer every guest options to meet any dietary needs. In addition, we work with local famers to offer the freshest foods available whenever possible and they are never recycled. We would look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Please contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com if you have any additional concerns or questions.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Biggest issue is the lack of any food/drink options if you have to arrive at a time after cafeteria hours. There is nowhere on site where you can get food outside the cafeteria, especially for those arriving over the weekend, except for a few snacks IF the bar is open.

If you have to park your rental car and bring your luggage in, it may be worth paying anyone you can find to drive you from your car to the lobby as it is QUITE a hike, especially if in heels.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank L G
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review NCC. We are very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. I have shared your concerns with our team and we are currently working to address the issues that you mentioned.

We have recently opened a multi-level parking garage that is conveniently located a short distance from our lobby. We are also exploring alternative food options and additional ways to improve the guest experience.

Please feel free to contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com should you have any additional concerns.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a venue where you can have your attendees somewhat secluded then this is a good option. There are meeting faculties and meal packages that can be arranged with the room accommodations - a real convenience when you don't want to loose your crowd de to meal time. The rooms are small dorm style rooms so don't expect a true hotel environment. Even so there are some recreational facilities and a bar on-site for after hours relaxation.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The National Conference Center. Because the overall guest experience is our top priority, we are very happy that NCC was able to provide a distraction-free environment for your meeting.
Please feel free to contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com if you need any additional information about NCC. We hope to see you again soon!

Starkville, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Remote is a good beginning descriptor. When you come here it is to STAY at the meeting! The meeting facilities are good. The rooms, however, are best described as "spartan". Mt room was clean and provided the basic amenities, but that's it. Hotel staff was friendly, but front desk was slow and understaffed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Traveler1959-123
Thank you so much for your review. The National Conference Center is a distraction-free environment to ensure that guests are getting the most out of their training. Because, the overall guest experience is our top priority, we appreciate you making us aware of your issue with the front desk staffing. I have shared your concerns with our team and we are currently working to address this issue.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

The only reason this place continues to exist is the fallout from the GSA conference scandal. Federal agencies are terrified to go to any destination that could even remotely be considered pleasant, hence breathing new life into the concrete monstrosity that is the NCC. Absent the morbid fear of being accused of wasting government money on junkets, this place would die an ignominious death, mourned by none.

How could I begin to enumerate the NCC's shortcomings? Maybe the simplest thing to say is that there is absolutely nothing - no, not one thing - good about this place.

The architecture and interiors are nothing short of a Minotaurian maze (bring bread crumbs to help find your way back from the cavernous bowels of the NCC). Who's ever heard of a three-part room number? Also bring a blindfold, or at least rose-colored glasses to distract you from the prison-like decor. Bring a doggie bag from last night's Applebee's dinner to avoid the overcooked, uniformly mediocre, and briefly served food, as well as your own cocktail shaker in order to bypass the overpriced and depressing bar that smells like old wet industrial carpeting. Amenities? What amenities? Remember to download your own movies onto your laptop, as you will need something to pass the time, and since the WiFi service is barely functional, don't count on any streaming services. I couldn't even watch a 30 second YouTube clip without frequent pauses. The service can charitably be described as - at best - indifferent. Cleanliness? There were long black hairs strewn strategically around my room. The little basket in the bathroom had a razor cover and bottle cap from the last inmate to occupy my cell. Need I go on? Location? Middle of nowhere. No car? You're stuck.

Want examples? Check out the pictures of my cell (the Anasazi cliff dwellers had more spacious living quarters), the new-fangled flat-panel television which tuned many channels (although oddly, even as the channel number changed, the actual channel did not), and the Soviet nursing home public space decor. Service? What service? I asked engineering to look at my very noisy air conditioner. Their response? "Well, yeah, it makes noise, but it cools OK, so we won't do anything about it. Try another room." No other cell-rooms were available. Want breakfast? Better get there before they stop serving at 8:30AM.

Think I'm being too critical of this place? I think I'm not being critical enough. But it you don't believe me, by all means, try it out for yourself. May God be with you.

Room Tip: The best rooms in the house are at the Landsdowne Resort, only a few short minutes away. Last I che...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank Nick C
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience and have shared your feedback with our team.

The National Conference Center is a distraction-free environment to ensure that guests are getting the most out of their training. The overall guest experience is our top priority. We appreciate you making us aware of your issue. Our goal is to provide clean, crisp and comfortable accommodations and we routinely have guest rooms deep cleaned and maintained by a professionally trained team. We will also have our technical support team look into any possible Wi-Fi concerns.

Please feel free to contact us at sales@conferencecenter.com should you have any additional concerns.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was my first, and frankly, my last stay at this facility. As the others have noted it is a large and spread out former business building which has been re-tasked as a meeting center. My room was completely nondescript and extremely small for a five day stay. The food availability may be good for attendees, but if you can't leave the expo hall during the limited hours food is available your only other choice is to drive somewhere else. Room service is not available at all.
On the positive side, the staff were all very friendly and helpful which made the stay more comfortable. Do allow extra time if you are using taxi's to get around since they have to find the place and my average wait for one was 30+ minutes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review The National Conference Center. We are very sorry to hear that your experience was an unpleasant one.

Our European-style rooms are designed to encourage guests to explore common areas and get the most out of their training experience. We are currently exploring alternative food options and ways to improve the guest experience.

Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have been at this conference center for meetings several times before and, although spread out and difficult to navigate, it is a good meeting place.

This was the first time I actually stayed for several nights at the "sleeping part" - often referred to as a hotel, but colleagues have called it "the compound" and now I know why.

If you have ever been in the military or prison, and liked the sleeping arrangements, you will love this place!

Finding your room is a challenge...other reviewers have told the horror stories of the many buildings and maze of halls with confusing signage. Sometimes you have to walk outside, no matter what the weather, other times it seems like you are in an underground bunker, walking stark halls wide enough to drive a golf cart (and you will wish you had one after getting lost).

Once you find what they they call a guest room, if you are claustrophobic or have more than one person in the room, you will run out screaming. I am not even sure what size the bed is, but I am not that big and it just fits me and takes up most of the room.

If your bathroom door is open, you cannot open your room door - that is how small it is. Try to find a place to open the ironing board - good luck! And check you room door - a colleague was able to use the Do Not Disturb hanger to open the door by pushing into the door gap (he reported it).

There is no decor - again it is an army barrack or prison cell, take your pick.

The bathroom has no counter space and a toilet with no lid (which is unsanitary and because there is no counter you will drop things into it like toiletries or towels). The shower ceiling is so low I could reach up slightly and touch the ceiling....anyone over 5'10", good luck.

The worst part, yes there is a worst part, is the dining, or lack thereof. One dining hall with long tables and buffet lines and only specific hours you can eat (again, think prison). I got in at 2pm on a week day and had not eaten since early morning because of travel - there was no food in the entire place and no dinner until evening mealtime.

If you do not have a car, you will not eat (there are places within a mile, but you cannot walk due to construction, so you need a car).

They have a bar, but that doesn't open until 7pm, so if you finish meetings early and want something before the mandated dinner serving time, you cannot have a drink, of anything.

And for all the people that rated this place citing the beautiful grounds - wait until you go back. They sold a lot of the property where a high school is being built, so it is a construction mess.

And I guess the final icing on this mess of a cake is the room rate. If it was $50 to $90, I would understand, you get what you pay for; but our "special rate" of almost $200 a night is insane.

I am sure there is more I am missing, but I think you get the point.

I know I will be back for meetings, but I will stay at a nearby hotel, because the worst hotel would be better than this place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank CinciJeff

Our European style rooms are designed to encourage guests to explore common areas and get the most out of their training experience. We offer our guests detailed mapping upon arrival and are currently considering options for navigating throughout our property. We are also exploring alternative food options and ways to improve the guest experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
#3 of 7 in Leesburg
4.5 of 5 stars 220 reviews
No photo provided

Been to The National Conference Center? Share your experiences!