“Large Suites, Clean Property, Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The National Conference Center

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leesburg
You added The National Conference Center to your Saves list
Alexandria, Virginia
“Large Suites, Clean Property, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I recently stayed here for a wedding and the place was nice. The suites are large compared to the standard room. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. Having the wedding at West Belmont Place made it easy to go back and forth to the room when needed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The staff was extremely helpful and provided great service in all faucets. Rooms are small, but the "compound" was enormous and definitely built for large functions. Should accommodate any size group, but, I can't tell you how many times I got lost! It is also far from any public transit, so, don't plan on going anywhere if you are here w/o a vehicle.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
NCCmeet, Public Relations Manager at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review NCC. You're right that NCC is a large facility. I'm sorry to hear that you were lost; all certified conference centers are required to have dedicated conference rooms separate from living and leisure areas. However our sales and conference planning managers do try their best to secure meeting space that is convenient for the groups to reach the dining room and their guest rooms.

I hope we can have you back with us and help you plan a fun leisure activity off-site. We have a shuttle service that runs regularly to see the DC monuments, Loudoun County's wine country, the Leesburg outlet mall and the Dulles Town Center (see here: http://www.conferencecenter.com/media/docs/pdf/GetAwayandExplore.pdf). It's more economical than renting a car if you're wanting to get away and explore.

Please let us know next time you'll be back. Thank you again.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I had the pleasure to host a conference earlier this year at NCC and was very pleased with the choice. If you are accustomed to conferences at large hotels or convention centers, the NCC may seem a little less swanky. But it's an affordable conference center location, with enough amenities to help people unwind in the evening yet keep them focused during the day.

The grounds are beautiful and secluded from the distractions of DC. Great walking trails and relaxing outdoor space. Very nice fitness facilities too. The service and support from the staff was also outstanding. I had a maintenance issue in my room and they quickly moved me to another room. The staff even helped gather up and move my luggage and clothes. They were equally attentive to all of our meeting needs. Wi-fi was great and the meeting rooms were very nice. Yes, the complex is a maze and much of the decor is utilitarian. But the sleeping rooms are clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The whole facility is functional but not fancy.

The only thing that keeps me from giving the NCC a five star rating was the food. It's very institutional and offers limited choices. Some of the dinner entree choices I found to be very odd.The food quality, choices and cafeteria design are very much like a college dining hall. If there are multiple conferences, it gets very crowded and noisy. Not a particularly good or relaxing experience. I've stayed in some comparable conference centers with much better food and dining atmosphere. I ended up eating a few of my dinners in the sports bar (which is great, by the way).

All in all, NCC is a good choice if your organization wants an affordable, functional facility. We are giving serious consideration to bringing our conference back next year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Laura,

Thank you so much for reviewing us. Your title "Affordable and professional conference center" is exactly what we strive towards. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the relaxed distraction-free setting, fitness center, meeting and guest rooms.

I am sorry to hear the food options were limited at dinner. If you have a moment, please email me at svining@conferencecenter.com with further feedback so I can share it with our Executive Chef and make the appropriate menu revisions. It is great to hear you were able to eat in Black Olive as well. However, I do want to gather more details to make these changes and accommodate groups in the dining room.

We look forward to hopefully seeing your group again next year. Thank you again!

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

One of my professional duties is to plan large binational conferences at various locations around the country. My federal agency held a seminar at the NCC this past week and we were required to stay at here. The agency scuttlebutt was that it was a horrible place to stay.

So with that expectation, I checked in expecting the worst. The important thing to note is, this isn't a hotel. Its a conference center. The distance from the check in desk to your sleeping room is very distant. Lugging your suitcase and other personal gear from your car to the registration to your sleeping room is quite the physical task. Not to mention that the parking lot for your building (there is a north and south building) is also far away. After you get to your room, you are a little in shock over the very austere accommodations. Again...not a hotel. It does have a flat screen TV but the signal is either being bounced from the cable provider, past Mars, then Saturn and then to the NCC.

The entire sleeping room section is hard a first to comprehend. They use a digital numbering system with State names for hallways and throw in some color combinations to identify sections of the hotel. It takes a good half day to remember how to find your way back to your hotel. Then you start to experiment with alternate paths to find your way. Eventually, you master where everything is and its not an issue. If you have any physical limitations (I have a hard time with steps) ask to be located next to/near an elevator.

The really nice thing about this place is the networking opportunities that it facilitates. Most professional conferences you attend you go to network. This location is perhaps the best place I have ever been to for that purpose. The center has a nice cafeteria with a very wide range of food choices. I am on the Dukan Diet so finding food choices to stay on my diet was very easy. You can have all you want and the food is always well prepared. No its not a four star restaurant, but its good and I never heard anyone complain about it being bad.

The exercise facility was good. If you are a free weight user you will really like it but I just use the treadmill and the ones they had were not the top of the line ones you see at most legacy hotels. They also don't provide towels to use which calls in to question any germs that stay behind on the equipment.

This is a special purpose conference center. It had excellent facilities for large, medium, and small break out rooms. The sleeping rooms are sparse, but I can say very comfortable. The room has a heating/cooling unit that works well....sometimes too well as you get cold...but that is better than one that sounds loud and doesn't work at all.

If you are planning on having a large conference and want to keep your participants focused this is the place. People are reluctant to leave the facility and that increases/maximizes the networking opportunities for your participants.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank daf62757
NCCmeet, Public Relations Manager at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The National Conference Center. It sounds like you fully grasp the concept of a conference center - clear divisions between meeting space and guest rooms, distraction-free environment and all inclusive packages.

I did share the feedback about the cable reception with our executive team; thank you for telling us. We'll look into making the adjustments.

Thank you for sharing such great insight about the fitness center and the front desk member who was able to accommodate your need for a nearby elevator; I hope others will read your review and feel comfortable with making requests as we always try our best to fulfill those special requests.

I'm also happy to hear that the dining room provided you with plentiful food options to stick with your diet. Traveling anywhere can cause someone to easily slip from their healthy eating habits, so I commend you for doing so and taking advantage of the array.

Thank you again for all your great points that sell the conference center for what it is - a purposed built training facility. Please let us know next time you'll be back. We look forward to seeing you then.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The conference center is in an amazing location amongst huge trees and built to be swallowed by nature but the building itself is a maze. getting to your room includes going up and down elevators, walking along endless underground corridors and trying to work out exactly which block, on which floor on which continent your room is.
The Center is used by Government agencies, army personnel and the like. The rooms are tiny tiny and like student dorm rooms. Walls are painted cinder block, concrete everywhere. The dining hall is cavernous with buffet stations and a conveyor belt to take your empty trays.
Do not honey moon here and, if you value your sanity stay in somewhere more homey!!

Room Tip: no such thing
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Archietew
Hi Archie,

Thank you for taking the time to review The National Conference Center. We appreciate your kind words about the retreat-like outdoor setting. We only accept non-transient business and we're a purpose built conference center; fortunately our guests are business travelers such as yourself. We agree, it's not the environment for a honeymoon; it's intended for corporate and organizational training and meetings. In terms of way-finding, I always tell guests not to worry about the street names and just focus on the numbers. For instance, N4.250 is north building > fourth floor > room 250. I hope this helps you during your next stay. Thank you for the high-rating on location; we're happy to hear you value the distraction-free environment near DC.

Thank you again for your feedback, Archie. We hope to have you back again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Staff is great and always a warm smile and hello as you navigate the maze. Spiders all over window in hallway kept me creeped out during stay.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
NCCmeet, Public Relations Manager at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Hi,

Thank you so much for your feedback. It's always great to hear how helpful our staff is; it's said that the architectural layout was structured this way to build camaraderie among colleagues walking to meetings or classes together. Thank you for letting us know about the hallway corridor window. I just put in a work order to have it cleared.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next stay with us.

San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This venue is not only excellent for a conference but the rooms are comfortable, the meals are outstanding. With 2 chefs overseeing the meal preparation, all aspects of the culinary experience while at the NCC are covered very well. The staff is eager to assist any guest. Many of the employees have been working there for many years and are happy there. This is reflected in their attitude and helpfulness.

Room Tip: The suites are a little more spacious than the regular rooms but all are comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades

Been to The National Conference Center? Share your experiences!