“If you know what to look for, a sensational winery”
Review of Tarara Winery

Tarara Winery
Ranked #17 of 84 things to do in Leesburg
Reviewed July 16, 2013

There are some negative reviews up about Tarara, and I don't dispute what they say. A number of the wines here aren't up to snuff, and the tasting room is underground, windowless, sparsely decorated, and not terribly personal.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!

The good blows away the bad. Two Tarara wines - Long Bomb 4 and Social Secret - are among my favorites I have tried in Virginia. Whitey's D-9, a dessert wine - is also superb. The winemaker, Jordan, is a dynamic, fun guy who makes some very good wines. He was written up recently in Wine Spectator (I believe - it was one of the big wine magazines) as one of the "top 40 under 40" in the wine business. He's only been with Tarara for a few years, so I know he's still getting a feel for the place and putting his personal stamp on the wines. I expect great things under his stewardship for years to come.

I LOVE the staff here, and have gotten to know a number of them. I imagine any bad experiences mentioned in some reviews come from tasting with new hires or part timers. The regulars here are amazing. There is a real sense of community about Tarara. They invite you in, welcome you to use the grounds, remember your name and face, and always make you feel well cared for.

The grounds at Tarara are the best feature - lovely views, tons of space, great picnic tables by the lake. etc.. The summer concert series ( every Saturday in the summer - check the website for who's playing) is great fun, and they BBQ stand at the concerts - Monks - whips up some very tender, tasty BBQ.

Make Tarara your picnic destination, and grab a bottle of Long Bomb 4 to enjoy with your picnic (until it sells out).

All reviews
"wine club"
in 7 reviews
"live music"
in 9 reviews
"our server was very friendly"
"hill side"
"well worth the visit"
"potomac river"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Visited Tarara for the first time this season. I have probably been to this winery 100 times as it used to be my absolute favorite place to grab a bottle and relax on the deck and then head off to a nice concert. Unfortunately the wine has gone progressively down hill ever since the original owner Whitie Hubert passed in 2008. The setting remains beautiful and the summer concerts are very, very good however the wines are extremely difficult to drink and certainly not worth the price. But, what was extremely alarming from this last trip was the complete lack of product knowledge and mass confusion from the staff serving the tastings. Sometimes, good service can make up for a bad tasting wine...not this time. Sorry...I really don't like writing negative reviews...

3  Thank Foodie20176
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

When we pulled up to this winery I was very impressed. It is a wonderful setting and the people were very nice. I do wish that they would tell you up front what the tasting fee would be. We actually found out when the first person in our party purchased their wine and was charged the tasting fee. I actually looked at the tasting list and all around the room to find out what the price would be. Don't get me wrong, would have paid it anyways but I do like to know up front. The wines were allright, nothing special. They did not live up to the clever descriptions on the tasting list. Now what I like in wine might be totally different from you so I would tell you to go experience it for yourself. I would go back because it might be different the next time, besides going to wineries is fun!

1  Thank trsabin
Reviewed June 8, 2013

It was just beautiful. Child friendly, they have picnic tables, we had lunch in front of the lake. The wines are inexpensive, wine testing was fun. will be back