“God-awful bad wine tasting trip...”
Review of Tarara Winery

Tarara Winery
Ranked #11 of 79 things to do in Leesburg
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Went for an impromptu wine tasting over the Christmas holiday... The wine tasting was progressively worse with each glass... I found them bitter and not at all as described by the proprietor. Although the server gloriously described each new taste, my partner and I politely drank, quietly disagreed and, sadly, won't be back.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

The view is awesome, the music was great, but my husband and I couldn't find one wine we liked enough to sit and listen to the entertainment...very disappointed.

Becky L, Assistant Retail Sales Manager at Tarara Winery, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Hi donna1011,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed Tarara's property and our summer concert series! We have a great line-up this year and look forward to our upcoming concerts. However, it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy our selection of wines. If you would like to give us another try we will happily offer you a personalized tasting experience. We would appreciate the opportunity to truly show you what our wines are about and perhaps find a wine that you might better enjoy.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Went with friends for a tasting. Tried seven wines for $10.50. They have a nice deck with views over the river towards Sugarloaf Mountain. Looks like the winery can host other events.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We really enjoy wine tasting. Last year we vacationed in Napa and sampled some of America's best. Last weekend, we returned to Tarara for the second time and took advantage of the Sunday afternoon invitation for wine club members. Tarara has an ingenious design with the tasting room carved into the side of a hill and the owner's residence built on top of the hill. A stairway connects the tasting room to the residence and on Sunday afternoons wine club members are invited up into the great room of the house to sample an exclusive selection of the best wines on offer. Tarara produces exceptional white wine. The 2010 Honah Lee won the Governor's Cup and the Neveah was also outstanding. Even the remarkably affordable Boneyard blends were on par with the Napa wines that sell for $60/bottle. Tarara is a great example of the potential of Virginia wineries. Unfortunately, most of the nearby Loudon wineries have miles to go before they acheive Tarara's level of quality.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

My cousin and I took our mothers to this winery as part of our Mother's Day weekend adventure in Virginia Wine Country. We chose to end our trip at this winery last because of the excellent reviews it received. I will never take my mother there again, it was embarrassing.

It was the worst winery we went to the entire weekend. The grounds are nice and a good place to picnic, but the tasting room was a disaster. When we entered the tasting room, it smelled like stale, sticky, old alcohol similar to the smells you find in a frat house after a party. The ventilation was terrible, adding to the smell, and giving the employees a sweaty appearance. The tasting room was understaffed which was evident in the low morale exuded by the employees. The wine list described the wine as "edgy" and had rock and roll elements, but included little information about the grapes, sugar content, or aging process. When I asked about these, the employee who was helping us handed me the crumpled "cheat sheet" he had in his pocket that included this information and walked away. It was clear either he did not know the information, or did not care about customer service. The wines were good, but the tastings were very overpoured - we received 3 times the amount of wine in our glass as a normal tasting - which was a lot of wine for my mother and my aunt. Most of it went to waste.

The whole experience was overall disappointing, I will not be returning. Someone in charge needs to take a long look around at Tarara's overall presentation.

2  Thank Erin S