“Great historical fun and a shortcut to Northern Virginia”

Historical White's Ferry
Ranked #1 of 80 things to do in Leesburg
Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great historical fun and a shortcut to Northern Virginia”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We went to Leesburg recently from Silver Spring and made the mistake of taking the Beltway around to the incredibly congested roads in Northern Virginia. Going back, we took White's Ferry into Maryland, and the difference was night and day. While not a great deal shorter time wise, it was a thousand times more pleasant to take the ferry and the country roads than to do battle with Northern Virginia traffic. Plus, it's always an experience, especially on a beautiful day. We'll ride on the General Jubal A. Early yet again this fall.

1 Thank faygokid

• Korean first
United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Convenient and Novel”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Why wouldn't you take this ferry? Quick and easy, and a real time-saver. Short ride, but at night when the moon shines on the river, it's five minutes of charm at a reasonable price.
Made me smile.

Maryland Heights, Missouri
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Going somewhere”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Never been on a ferry? So you can make it out there to go. Sometimes find it closed (mostly in the winter) real people run this thing and they need to sleep too. Open to bikes, vehicles of all kinds and pedestrians. Don't speed through Poolesville getting there or away from there (youll get a ticket!) Its fun to see and is a staple to the community.

Visited September 2013
Orlando, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great place to have a bite to eat on the C&O Canal”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

TripAdvisor doesn't have the White's Ferry Store listed separately, so I'm reviewing here.

We did not take the ferry on a recent trip, but while biking the C&O Canal from D.C. upriver, we arrived at the White's Ferry Store hot and thirsty around 3:30 p.m. Not expecting much, we stopped into the store to stock up on Gatorade and find anything we had to eat.

However, the day's special was a grilled brisket and coleslaw sandwich. It turns out it was one of the best brisket sandwiches I've had in a very long time. My two companions and I all ordered that -- I think we got the last brisket of the day -- and it was absolutely delightful.

Don't expect much by way of table service or ambience. It's still just a little convenience store by the ferry entrance. But the food is surprisingly delightful. I would tend to order whatever the special is; the rest of it looks like it's prefabricated, frozen food.

Also, how cool is it that there's still a working ferry across the Potomac? It's a little hard to believe the next bridge upriver isn't for 15 miles (Point of Rocks), and the last downriver bridge is the American Legion Memorial Bridge on the Beltway.

Well worth the stop. If I'd had a car -- or more time on my bike -- I might've ridden the ferry across, round-trip, just to enjoy it.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Quaint fun”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Even for a fee I'd rather take the ferry than drive around it. Feels like a step back in time to imagine the early ferry days and those without it. A MUST do!

Visited September 2013