“4 Diamonds?? AAA must be lowering their standards...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lansdowne Resort and Spa

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Annapolis, Maryland
“4 Diamonds?? AAA must be lowering their standards...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I came across this resort by accident while trawling the internet for weekend getaway ideas for the V-Day weekend. It looked nice and was ranked the same as The Hotel Hershey (which I have been to) by AAA so I thought I'd give it a chance. When I saw the pictures on their website, the first thing that came to mind was "Eh, a bit dated, but it still looks nice." Well, appearances can be deceiving...

I got the resort's Stupid Cupid package for a 2 night stay which included: accommodations, free bottle of wine, 2 free drinks in the bar, and breakfast for $209/night. After this weekend, I wouldn't pay more than $70/night.

The entrance and lobby were impressive. The staff was really friendly and accommodating though few actually knew anything about the area and its attractions. The tavern had good appetizers, friendly bar staff, and good music. But, that's where the compliments end for this resort.

“Luxury” is not an adjective I would use to describe the Lansdowne Resort. The first clue was its location: in the middle of an industrial park surrounded by cookie-cutter condos and office buildings. Once you get past the lobby and the bar, you see that this resort is nothing more than a gussied up Days Inn:

Public areas: Outside, the sidewalk abruptly stops halfway down the driveway, turns toward the emergency entrance for the pool, goes down 2 steps and leads to the far end of the parking lot. In addition, there isn’t a walkway connecting the corner handicap ramp to the rest of the sidewalk. In the bathrooms, there are no dispensers for the hand towels, wallpaper was poorly done, no frame molding around the stall doors and there’s black mold growing behind the jamb. The common areas have streaks, fingerprints, untidy furniture and visible dust on accent pieces. The elevator bank on the terrace level is found in a workers’ area outside of the room service kitchen. In the elevators they have a baby moon-style mirror that can give you vertigo or trigger an epileptic seizure by looking at it.

Concierge: The woman at the desk is friendly and informative if you know what you’re looking for, but she doesn’t do more than make reservations for inside the resort. And she only has limited brochures available for local attractions.

Doormen/valet: Doormen weren't astute enough to open alternating doors to limit the wind tunnel effect when opening doors for guests. There were no valets to be found inside or out so no assistance with luggage or valet parking.

Public areas of the floors: They had the a/c on high all day, the house phone in the elevator lobby was sloppy, the areas were rather dark, and the ice machine was turned off.

Rooms: Garage sale decor (70s era chairs and accent table, modern headboard and light fixtures, Colonial-style desk and nightstand, casual armoire), outdated TV with barely functioning remote and only 12 channels (no premium movie channel, but 4 sports channels), almost zero storage (3 small drawers in the armoire, 1 small drawer in nightstand, and a closet with 3 hangers), very dark even with all of the lights on, no small refrigerator, no room safe, thermostat was only for show as the temperature never exceeded 68 degrees (had it set for 80), burned out bulbs in the lamps, only 1 small box of tissues, must pay for sugar and cream for the in-room coffeemaker (which also wasted half of the armoire’s usable storage), tacky room rate sign in the closet (we laughed at the quoted price: $419/night for 1-2 people). Bathrooms: paint on the wallpaper, no heat lamp, water pressure was non-existent (4th floor room), hot water was lukewarm at best, a dirty rubber bath mat (too cheap or too lazy for the non-slip epoxy in the tub?), no jacuzzi tub, poor exhaust fan, non-mounted hair dryer had little power, no glasses.

Maid service: Same service you get at Motel 6. Really strange was a Friday night surprise visit from a maid asking if we wanted more towels?

Restaurants: No bathrooms in the restaurants themselves, you must use the bathrooms in the public areas. Only place to get lunch is in the Clubhouse and there are no signs directing you to its lounge. The Hearth’s furniture was not only dated, but also deteriorating. All of the vinyl seat bottoms were scratched, stained or discolored. The buffet food was terrible: I get better breakfasts at The Hampton Inn or the local greasy spoon. Even the coffee tasted funny, Sunday I drove to Dunkin Donuts. I inquired about doing the Harvest brunch instead and was told I had to pay an additional $35 per person. Um...no.

Spa: Though the service and staff were very good, the spa itself wasn't anything more than what you find in a strip mall. Fireplaces in the lounge and reception area were off, the carpet in the Men's locker room needed vacuuming, tap water and trail mix in the lounge, unreasonably expensive (comparable services at The Spa at Hotel Hershey during V-Day weekend is at least 30% cheaper).

In conclusion, if you're expecting 4-star luxury, as I was, you won't find it at the Lansdowne Resort.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SteveY73
Seth_Petersen, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Dear SteveY73,

Thank you for your feedback. Lansdowne Resort is very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Our mission is to exceed guest expectations and we obviously fell short of that goal during your stay. Many of the design issues and amenity items that you mentioned are currently under renovation or will be in 2011.

In regards to the service items, I would like to talk with you to get more specifics so that we can follow up on them.

Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely
David Kohlasch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

wow...went to stay for the weekend b/c sister was available for babysitting. Just happened to be "valentine's weekend", so the place was pretty busy w/ couples coming for a getaway. The hotel was running a great promo and we had heard good things. My husband and I enjoyed a few hours at their wonderful spa and just made it up to our room when my son called to inform us that he and his sister both had fevers!!!! (this after a week of the flu) ARGH...what to do?!?!? We decided we'd be stressed staying and wouldn't enjoy our night away so decided to ask if there was any way possible to cancel our night's reservation. WOW!!!! Lisa (front desk mgr) could not have been nicer and didn't even give me a funny look when I told her the situation. She very kindly refunded our stay and understood the situation. I wish I could have seen more of the resort, but know that I will come back (def'ly for the spa!!!!) and appreciate such accomodating staff. I would def'ly recommend them to a friend, and hope to go back again soon. Thank you!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Seth_Petersen, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear ajohnson,

We appreciate you taking time to write a review for the resort and thank you for your valuable feedback. Lisa is a valued employee who has embraced the hospitality business with high integrity, great attitude and a willingness to listen to our guests and to understand their needs. She has a “can do” attitude and takes pleasure in everything she does. We take pride in our employees and it is simply the team's extraordinary commitment to excellence in customer service and support that motivates them to always go the extra mile. All of us at Lansdowne Resort look forward to your return visit and hope we can provide you a memorable experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a little weekend get away, as it's about an hour away from where we live.

The hotel on the outside looks a bit dated, but the inside is very comfortable and decorated in tasteful, muted autumn tones. Our room, a corner king room, was quite large. Having windows on two walls really let in a lot of natural light. Unfortunately, the windows are not very energy efficient, so we kept the heavy drapes closed most of the time to keep the cold air out! The bathroom was really nice, with a large vanity area and slate tile floor. The bed was insanely comfy (tip: check the closet for firm pillows!). The TV was old (not flat screen), but got a good selection of TV stations. The free Internet was a nice bonus as well.

The resort campus itself is nice. We'd like to come back in the summer to use the outdoor pool facility, but the indoor one was adequate. The gym was very nice and includes a racquetball court and free fitness classes. The locker rooms off the gym were sparse, but they did the job.

We had a couples message at the spa, which was wonderful. The spa locker rooms are great, with a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. We were able to hang out in a "co-ed lounge" together before our massage. It was nice to be able to wait together in a comfortable environment (instead of separately in male/female lounges). The massages were not cheap, but this is the first place we've had a couples massage where they didn't up-charge for the couples part - each massage cost what it would have cost if we had them separately.

We had breakfast both mornings at the breakfast buffet at the Riverside Hearth (did not pay extra for the Sunday brunch). The food was good and there were plenty of healthy options, including custom made egg white omelets. The view of the Blue Ridge Mountains from the breakfast room is a great way to wake up in the morning. Added bonus: the coffee is actually REALLY good. We had lunch and dinner off campus at nearby restaurants both days (definitely try The Wine Kitchen in downtown Leesburg!), but enjoyed some after dinner drinks at the Stonewalls Tavern one evening. They have free billiards and other "bar games" and even have a Wii that you can play for $5 an hour. The drinks were reasonably priced and the service was good.

Overall, a very pleasant stay! Would not hesitate to return here for a weekend get away in the future, but would probably wait until the weather was better so we could use the outdoor amenities.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tuffy0317
Seth_Petersen, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear tuffy0317,

Thank you for all the wonderful comments about our resort and staff. Receiving feedback from our guests is important to us. We value your opinion and appreciate the unique opportunity to see ourselves through the eyes of our customers.

I highly recommend returning in the summer to enjoy our aquatic complex – it is most relaxing! We look forward to your return and providing you with customer service well beyond your expectations.
Prestwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Our airline placed us here after we missed our transfer. Really didn't expect such a lovely place. They had a shuttle bus which was a little difficult to book for very early mornings though.
Very friendly staff in the restaurant, very chilled and looked amazing.
The rooms were great too, very comfy!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Seth_Petersen, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Dear ambervincent,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review and to let you know how much we appreciate your comments about the resort and our staff. All of us at Lansdowne Resort enjoyed having you with us and making your stay a wonderful experience. We look forward to providing you with the highest level of service and hospitality should your travels bring you back to this area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed at the Lansdown resort on our wedding night, and thought it was a beautiful and relaxing hotel to celebrate the big event. The room was nice, and the brunch was extremely tasty. We went with the suite option that included champagne, strawberries, and breakfast which was a pretty good deal. Unfortunately we didn't realize that the included breakfast was different than the brunch buffet, so ended up paying the difference between the two options, which was rather expensive. Overall, it was a nice place to stay for a very special occasion. The prices are quite a bit higher than we're used to paying for a hotel, so we wouldn't think it's a place to stay except for the most special evenings. We did find the staff very friendly and accommodating, and they even gave us priority service in line as we were obviously coming from our wedding.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Seth_Petersen, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
We appreciate you taking time to write a review for the resort and thank you for your valuable feedback. We strive to constantly exceed expectations and feedback from our guests is critical to our success in achieving this goal. We take pride in our employees and it is simply the team's extraordinary commitment to excellence in customer service and support that motivates them to always go the extra mile.

Congratulations to you on your wedding and we wish you all the best. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you back at Lansdowne Resort.
Adelphi, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

After reading many reviews prior to staying at the hotel I was very skeptical but figured it was only for one night. Lansdowne Resort, actually more of a Conference Center, is very nice. The room was your typical hotel room, a nice size with a king sized bed. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows are pretty worthless. That didn't bother me because I took my own pillow.

The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. I booked my reservation with Jennifer, who provided "Outstanding" customer service. I purchased the "For The Love of Food" package which I feel is a really good deal. You get one night stay, $100 toward dining, and a buffet breakfast for two for $279, includes taxes. The "On the Potomac" restaurant is "Gourmet" not particularly my dining taste but the other's wanted to eat there. The food was good, portions were small..gourmet portions, and the waitress was pleasant, especially having to deal with our rowdy crowd. I do not agree with adding 22% gratuity for parties of 8 or more. Normally it's 15% - 18%. I am a good tipper and normally give 20+% depending on the service but to charge 22% upfront does not give the wait staff incentive to provide great service.

The facility is extremely nice but it is not a "Resort" where you would take your family on vacation. The Spa is nice and my husband and I enjoyed our couples massage.

I would go there again and recommend to friends for a little get away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

My better half and I came to stay at the Landsdown Resort over the veterans day weekend as a mini-getaway, neither one of us having been here before. First I want to say that the actual "town" of Landsdown is very nice. It's nestled right between Sterling and Leesburg, and not only has a quaint community (there's a small mini-mall in the neighborhood that has little shops and a Harris Teeter) but is a short drive to Dulles Mall, and a little longer one to the outlets.

But that's not what we were there for. We were there for the "resort" experience. And I must say that this fell completely short. When we arrived we were greeted by a fantastic door staff, and check-in was quick and painless, these were the (only) highlights. Our room though was at best on-par with something you'd see from about 7-8 years ago (decor, design, etc). Shower head was basic, TV was standard definition, bed was marginally comfortable, and the furniture was something you'd see at Haverty's about 10-12 years ago.

The restaurants aren't bad, but nothing to get worked up about to be completely honest. We didn't sample the spa services, but the products that carry the label that they stock your bathroom with left us unimpressed and so we went to the local spa in town. However the prices sure did reflect that of a resort.

Like others have stated (hott24girl,kathy41378) this is an average hotel with a very nice golf course, and at least in the fall gorgeous grounds. It would be a very nice place to get married but cannot be put on the same level of say.....oh Kingsmill Resort down in Willamsburg. Where all of the comforts, luxuries, amenities, and conveniences of a 21st century resort are met and exceeded. For some reason other reviewers don't have these expectations of a hotel, I do. I expect the "resort" i'm paying nearly $500 for a weekend to at the least have high definition tv, and a lounge chair that isn't 15 years old.

Would I stay here again? Not on my own dime. Is this a nice place? Yes. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend or coworker....No, not unless they have a clear understanding of what i've explained here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blp2
Seth_Petersen, Guest Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Dear blp2,

Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously and are addressing your concerns. We are planning, and will begin shortly, a renovation of the bathrooms (expected to be completed by the end of February 2011). In addition, upgrades to our televisions are scheduled for the second quarter of 2011. We strive to constantly exceed expectations and feedback from our guests is critical to our success in achieving this goal. Thank you again for your review. With these improvements, I hope these improvements will encourage you to visit us again.

Warm Regards,
Seth Petersen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
#3 of 7 in Leesburg
4.5 of 5 stars 214 reviews
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!