Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg(Leesburg)(Great Value!)
$142
$144
Homewood
$89
Red Roof
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North(Ashburn)(Great Value!)
$193
$259
Homewood
$159
Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center(Dulles)(Great Value!)
$164
Courtyard
2,165 results
All reviewsgolf courseriverside hearthgolf clubpotomac rivergirls weekendbreakfast buffetbusiness meetingbeautiful propertyfire pitfitness centerindoor pooldc areadulles airportweddingryecotonclubhouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I won a Jazz on the Potomac Package at Lansdowne and stayed there with my wife August 17-18, 2007. We had reviewed the many comments about the resort on this site, including the many problems guests have encountered, but were willing to give the hotel a fresh start and provide the "inside scoop" for potential future guests.

When we pulled up to the entrance to the reosrt, the staff quickly unloaded our luggage and offered to valet park our car, which we accepted. They didn't mention the $15 charge for this, however, which I didn't find out about until a bill was slid under our room door at 2 AM. Our luggage arrived in our room right behind us.

Check-in was quick and the staff was accomodating and polite. I had to go back to the front desk to get some food coupons for the Jazz Package that they had forgotten to give me. Luckily, I had brought a copy of the email confirmation of my reservation that mentioned this, and they gave me the food tickets with no problem.

My wife has difficulty walking due to persistant knee and foot problems, so we reserved a handicapped room. It was set up fairly well for this purpose, but the adjustable shower head was a bit loose from wear. It was certainly not a luxury room by any means. It more closely resembled an average decent motel room. The TV was an older model, but they did have WiFi and internet access. I'm sure there are better rooms for guests that spend more and stay longer. Some of the furnishings looked a bit dated. This was surprising since they recently completed a multimillion dollar renovation.

We were placed at a shared VIP table with cocktail service for the jazz performance, which took place outside near the Lansdowne Grille. It was difficult for my wife to get to the spot as the closest elevator was quite a distance from the site. This was a problem getting to the Riverside Hearth for breakfast the next morning also.

The food selection was meager and pricey. Entrees were 2 tickets ($10) and included a wrap, shrmip, cheese and a salad. Drinks were 1 ticket ($5). We got two orders of shrimp and shared a salad. There were a good amount of shrimp included, and the salad was decent. Service was very good and the server went out of her way to get me a drink that was not on the menu. The music performance was also very nice.

Our room was a bit noisy. We could clearly hear water running from the neighboring bathroom, and any noise in the hallway. The thermostat also made a loud clicking sound every time it came on. Fortuneately, things quited down later in the evening so we could get some rest.

Breakfast the next morning was included at the Riverside Hearth. As I mentioned, it was difficult to get to as there is no elevator close by. They had a great selection of just about anything you could want served kiosk style, and the service and food quality were excellent. There was always a line at the grill for waffles, omlettes and pancakes, but it went quickly. My wife loved the fresh squeezed orange juice.

We looked for a closer way back to our room, but didn't find one. We did pass some worn carpet on the way back, and the area around the conference rooms could have been a bit cleaner.

Checkout was quick and easy, and someone immediately came to get our bags and bring them down and load them into our waiting car.

Overall, our experience was a mixed bag, but for an essentually free stay it wasn't too bad. The place could certainly use more renovation and updating and easier access to places people are likely to go, such as the restaurants. It is certainly not a four-star resort, but it does have its good points. The grounds, pools, and golf course looked very nice from what I saw, and the food was quite good. Our service was great all the way, but they do heavilly depend on college students in the summer, which may explain some of the service problem faced by others. Some just may not care as much since it's not a full-time job for them. One told us that the resort is usually understaffed after they go back to school, which may cause a bit of stress for the full-timers. If you're a golfer or otherwise plan to spend a lot of time outside your room, you'll probabbly be OK. Otherwise, I'd search for better, cheaper accomodations.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank daveb456
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We stayed here for a family function that included family members from 2 to 82. It is hard to find a hotel or resort that can meet the needs of a big, diverse group. We stayed in a suite with two adjoining rooms. Our teenage daughters shared another room, closeby.
On the plus side: the $169/ night group rate was affordable. The golf
and tennis facilities were great. The many pools and workout room were clean and well supervised. The hotel offers both wired and wireless internet service and both worked fine. Now for the not-so-good: As soon as we got off the elevator, we were greeted by a horrible smell. I can only describe the smell as a mix of industrial cleaners, pesticides and rotting food. The hallways are dimly lit and
the carpet is old and gross. Room service trays with dirty plates and
half eaten food sat on the floor outside several rooms. The rooms also smelled but not as badly as the hallways. The beds and bathrooms
were serviceable, just old and way outdated. If we had not been there
for the family function, we would have turned around and found another hotel. During our 3 day stay, we tried to spend as much time as possible out of the rooms. Service from housekeeping and at the front desk was adequate (if uninspired). All in all, I am just mystified as to why the hotel doesn't rip the interior down to the studs and renovate the rooms. Given the nice facilities outside, why do they ask people to stay in these old, smelly rooms? Hard to understand.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family