“couldn't have been better”

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Reviewed October 1, 2009

we recently selected Lansdowne as the site of our daughter's wedding and reception. We couldn't have been more pleased. We found everyone helpful and polite. The wedding was held outside, overlooking out toward the Potomac River. The view couldn't have been better. The reception site was just what we wanted. The staff was pleasant and attentive to our needs. There were also no complaints about the food which was wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,113)

Reviewed September 29, 2009

I think that this copy of a letter I wrote to the property says it all...

I recently stayed at your property while attending a wedding nearby. I am a frequent guest at many hotels both domestic and international. I also hold preferred status with many of them due to my amount of stays. I must comment that this stay was one of the WORST hotel stays that I have EVER experienced. Beginning with the UN-helpful doormen to the front desk clerk with the pretentious attitude that seemed to be unwilling to help anyone. If it were not for the fact that it was a terrible rainstorm and that I had a wedding to attend I would surely have left early. Not only did they not have the room type that I reserved, but at checkout I was overcharged. I had a confirmation email with the correct rate and the front desk clerk still did not want to change it stating that I was wrong even though I showed him the confirmation email! In fact the same clerk helped me when I checked in and was equally unhelpful! I asked for a room with a view if possible since it was my first time at the property and wanted to see the view. He refused and said that in order to get that I need to request it "earlier", whatever that means. And to top it off , watching my wife carry her own bags to and from our car made it just a disgrace to even be at this property. By the way, there were bellmen watching this as well! Overall, a TERRIBLE stay! I fully intend to let all of my colleagues know to stay away from this hotel!

Just a quick p.s.... the place does look nice and is decently furnished. The bathroom shower had bad pressure and was slightly moldy.

Stay away if you can...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Seth_Petersen, Director of Marketing at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2009

I just noticed your comments this morning. I have personally spoken to several department heads regarding each performance issue and, I can assure you, we take your comments seriously and are responding to each one. Regarding your room request and a room with a view, often rooms are assigned based on what rooms are available at check-in and we do make every effort to give guests their first requests. The rate confusion stems from a lack of internal communication that has been corrected. We could have handled this all in a friendlier manner and for that we apologize.

Please also note that we are currently renovating bathrooms, in a plan that will take us into 2010. Thank you for making us aware of your particular room; it’s now on our list to be renovated sooner rather than later.

Again, we appreciate your comments. Often we get high marks for our customer service, but if we’ve failed recently, we need to know. Your feedback is helpful as we continue to make improvements to best serve our customers. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Denise Benoit
703-729-4129

Reviewed September 21, 2009

We could not have picked a better location for our girls weekend away. The staff at Lansdowne was warm, welcoming, and over the top helpful. Lansdowne was a great choice because we got the feeling of being far from home, without having to travel far. We will definitely be returning in the future!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2009

This is a hotel on steroids, it is not a resort – a golf course and pool do not make a resort, at least not any resort that I have ever stayed. This place might as well slap a blinking “vacancy” light in the window and call itself a motel – because that is the level of service we received from the staff.

The staff’s complete incompetence and unique gift for sloppy work, a blasé attitude and utter disregard for the comfort of its guests was monumental. They just didn’t care! They were clearly very busy, but instead of being polite and moving things along, they were at times combative and disrespectful.

There was no hot water in our room, the AC didn’t work properly and despite the fact that we were there solely for a wedding, we were charged a “resort fee” when we weren’t using any aspect of their resort (we got there at 4pm for a 4pm wedding, and left at 6am).

When the front desk gave us a room with 2 small beds, rather than the king that we had booked and paid for 4 months in advance, they informed us that when you book a room at their “resort,” the king booking is just a request and that is not guaranteed. I asked if the same applied to a smoking/non-smoking room, and they said yes. I asked what if I requested a handicap room, and they said they would “try to accommodate” me, then I asked would happen if we were a family of 5 that requested two double beds and they said “we would have offered you a sleeping cart or two.”

So needless to say, every question or issue we had, they cut to pieces with the corporate lingo – resorts make accommodations and attend problems, this place made excuses.

So, yes, I argue their status as a resort. At least Norman Bates with his blinking vacancy light was polite at check in – he even offered up a snack before he cut you to pieces.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pital16
Seth_Petersen, Marketing Director at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2009

I personally just read your review and thank you for taking the time to help us improve. Your mistreatment by our staff, I assure you, makes me just as upset as you are. Since reading your comments, I’ve chatted with several department heads (I know that sounds “corporate”, but I needed to know if your comments have been previous issues and/or if solutions were in development) before I responded.

Your request for a king bed in advance, and subsequently not getting your request upon check-in, is has been an ongoing issue, especially with large groups such as weddings. So, I’m glad you brought this to our attention. We have been working on a solution and are now able to book rooms for our groups in advance by room type. This solution will allow us to accurately review our room inventory even for wedding groups booking online. While, we still can’t Guarantee a room type in advance, we’re getting closer to meeting that goal.

There is no excuse for our staff’s rudeness or unfriendliness to you and your family. Period. In general, we get high marks for our friendly staff. While we know we are not perfect in this regard, it’s good to hear when we’ve not living up to our reputation.

Again, thank you for your comments; they are helpful as we always try to do our best to please our customers. If you would further like to discuss your concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Denise Benoit
(703) 729-4129

Reviewed September 15, 2009

We had a reception at the Golf Club at the Lansdowne Resort. We worked with Leslie who is the catering manager. She was extremely helpful, professional and accommodating. The service was superb and the food was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My trip to Landsdowne was great. We had a meeting in the conference center, which is quite a good setup especially for a resort. The meeting space was great and the AV was perfect. But, the best part was that I got to get away for some golf on their Norman course, which is outstanding. A great risk/reward layout. Overall the resort is very clean and beautiful. The brunch spread on Sunday is unbelievable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I stayed at this resort in the hot summer month of August. I picked this resort because of the aquatic area they so much advertise. Well I was there 5 days and only one pool was opened the whole 5 days. One day the pool was closed due to weather but it was hot and sunny outside. I would not stay here again because they definitely do not offer what they advertise. They should redo their advertisements and state the truth, it would have saved me the disappointment my child had!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
4 mi away
#4 of 7 in Leesburg
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
6 mi away
Aloft Dulles Airport North

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!