New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Lansdowne Resort and Spa

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Easton, Pennsylvania, USA
“Very Clean. A bit expensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights at a business conference. The rooms were clean, I liked the flatter pillows and the food was good. Had I been paying myself, seemed a bit expensive. Tv was nice, Internet was free. It would have been nice to golf. But I didn't have time.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Bruce G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was at this resort for a family event in October. The resort is off Route 7, but it is not easy to get to, since there are not good direction signs (I am glad we printed out the map prior to going). The property is very nice, and we had a room on the 9th floor with a nice view of the golf course.

We got there early (around 2 PM), and we found parking in the self-parking lot that was pretty close to the lobby area. The staff was very nice and checked us in early. My wife had a nice time at the spa, and I went to the very well equipped fitness center, with good cardio, machine, and free weight choices.

The room was clean and well furnished. A couple of minor bad points: The warm air was kind of dry for some reason (of course, we were at a wedding, so the drinks we had may have had some impact). Also, the shower water pressure was not the best. The water got to a good temperature quickly, but both showerhead settings did not provide good water pressure.

The ballrooms for the wedding and reception were very nice, and the food was really good. We had a good time.

Room Tip: Higher floors are likely to have better views of the golf course or surrounding area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve R
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was put up in this hotel by United, who cancelled my flight home and stranded me in the DC area. After a long day of travel, my fiance picked us up two beers at the bar with her credit card. We used my card on our vacation, and she used her credit card at the Lansdowne bar. Big mistake. When we arrived home the next day the credit card company called and said that the card had been used three times at establishments around the area. This card hadn't been used for weeks and certainly not around the DC area except for at this one bar.
The management seemed somewhat interested in the fact that someone working there was stealing credit card info but I never heard back on any action taken to find out what happened. To my knowledge the person who stole our info is still employed there.

In summary, nice hotel (hence the two stars) but use CASH at the bar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Harveylaw,
Thanks for your concern, and for the record, we can publicly state that our accounting office conducted a full and thorough investigation into the allegations. We also communicated with you via email numerous times, yet our numerous attempts to contact you via phone to resolve the issue were not returned, although we left several messages. However, we were able to complete the investigation with the data you did provide and we trust this has been resolved to your satisfaction. Despite this being a very unfortunate occurrance and one I cannot recall having happened before during my time at the resort, I can report that our employees working that night are in excellent standing with us and are exceptionally trustworthy employees. Once again, we trust this issue has been resolved and we regret this isolated incident impacted your stay.

James J. Horsman
Managing Director
Richmond, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Lansdowne demands and enforces cancellation notice 72 hours ahead of check in time, so be sure that your life will not change within the window. This is one of the longest cancellation notice requirements that I have ever seen. I can say from personal experience that 48 hours will not do for Lansdowne, and that you will be charged for one night's stay.

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. The rooms are always attractive and clean. Some of the rooms have very nice golf course views. I miss On the Potomac, the fine dining restaurant that is now closed. The other dining options are OK, but On the Potomac felt more special.

This is a golf resort, and the golf is very nice. As a golf resort it competes in my mind with similar resorts in Florida, Arizona, and Nevada and is a firm middle of the pack choice.

I calculate the value at poor because I averaged the cost of the stay that I was able to complete with the cost of the stay that I was unable to complete, canceled within 48 hours, and was charged for. In the event that I return to Lansdowne, I will average that cost in, and see if the value then rises to average.

Room Tip: Always ask for a golf course view. The other views are uninspiring.
1 Thank Steve B
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was here for a small meeting and have been here several times. On the plus side the property is lovely and the meeting spaces and restaurants are excellent. The food is wonderful and ranges from the standard stuff to new or unusual foods to try (dried kiwi on the coffee bar, breakfast roll with eggs and meats, etc.).Room amenities are nice with large bottles of soap, shampoo, etc in the shower with pumps, good tv, nice chair with footstool. Great fitness center. The downsides: only two accessible plugs in your room, desk chair height does not match the desk height (chin on the desk!), disability access to the dining room is far from the main entrance, and AC in my room was not working well. Finally, the signage for the resort makes it very difficult to find even with GPS. The rooms are quite dark, as well. Overall, a lovely place which needs a bit more attention to detail to get a 5 start rating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marsha M
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Overall, the resort is beautifully maintained and has a number of very fine amenities for their guests. The staff was, in most instances, very courteous and helpful. But my wife and I went there to escape our normal realities and, even though we were not far from home, leave behind the world for a time. But unfortunately, the little things can matter a great deal in those situations. Little things like the menu at Pub 46 being changed, even though the website has not been (my wife wanted to go there for a specific dish). Or the "On the Potomac" restaurant being closed, even though all of the room materials state otherwise. That the phone did not work properly. That we had to call multiple times for several items to be brought up. That the bed required all of the extra pillows in the room, and an extra blanket, to provide sufficient comfort for sleeping. That, at Stonewall's Tavern, I ordered a rather expensive steak and was not offered a steak knife or steak sauce until my steak was nearly completed.

I could go on, but you get the idea. My point is that while I am sure, to some, this will appear to be a series of minor complaints, each one gnaws at the relaxed illusion that vacationers and those looking to rest (particularly parents who get a weekend away from their kids) are looking to create until they add up to something that forces you to face the reality of the situation and remember that all of the imperfections of your normal life are never that far behind you.

Room Tip: I'm not sure the corner room really added anything. If you can get a room on a higher floor, go...
4 Thank John K
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear John K,
Thanks so much for submitting your review and with such helpful detail. I completely understand your perspective and agree that many times it is the little things that can make or break a great guest experience. Obviously, we strive to dot all the i's and cross all the t's and there is certainly no excuse for one of these occurrances to happen, much less mutliple times. Please understand that we are working on increasing the service levels and the overall guest experience. I arrived at the resort four months ago and while we have made great strides in many areas, we still have some work to do. I appreciate your constructive feedback and trust a future visit to our resort will result in a much different outcome.

James J. Horsman
Managing Director
Dennis, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

This has been the second time we had the pleasure of staying at Lansdowne.it is a magical place. The views are spectacular- we experienced them from 2 of the golf courses,our room,& all the buildings.Service is impeccable- sometimes too attentive-as we experienced with the dining room manager in The Crooked Billet-who stopped by our table at least 6x's. What a pest! The food served in all the restaurants was creative using local game,farm and seasonal bounty-we just loved the beautiful food. The rooms are immaculate as well as the public areas. This is my kind of place! We are golfers - so Lansdowne offers 45 holes of unbelievable golf-o yeah!

Room Tip: This visit we used a travel website to get a better price-but of course our room location for the vi...
Green Features: very aware of the surrounding environment - preserve the forest & river valley which is evident by all the wildlife you can see on the grounds. You do not see disruption of natural landscape.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
#3 of 7 in Leesburg
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Courtyard Dulles Town Center

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!