“Excellent Girls Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Montgomery Village, Maryland
“Excellent Girls Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My two oldest friends and I spent a quick overnight at Lansdowne this past weekend, and it was absolutely fabulous from beginning to end. It was a perfect place to unwind and escape our lives for a few hours. The staff was top notch, and every single one that we encountered was delightful and accommodating. The pools were lovely (as were the hot tubs), and the pool areas were clean. Everywhere we went inside the hotel smelled wonderful - like a spa. We were constantly marveling how it could smell so great EVERYWHERE we went, even the elevators. Didn't use the spa, and only ordered room service so I can't comment on the restaurant, but the food from room service was DELICIOUS. Fabulous trip - we will be back!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Hello auntbitsy,
Thanks so much for your 5-star review on Tripadvisor. Sounds like your Girls Getaway was a lot of fun. I read that you did not have a chance to visit Spa Minérale, but please allow me to recommend it on your next visit. Our spa is perfect for the girlfriend getaway; plus, we just started a brand new day spa program and a spa rewards program, so we are making Spa Minérale more accessible and an amazing experience for not just our overnight guests, but for our daily visitors as well. Fall is a great time for winery tours, too, so please keep us in mind for that next great getaway with the girls! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

James J. Horsman
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed four days. My grandchildren thoroughly enjoyed the pool and slide and making smores at the fire pit!

The staff members are exceptional people, they are extremely professional and congenial!

The resort is conveniently located near the shopping outlets and several good restaurants for family dining.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here on a corporate retreat, and the agreement was pretty clear amongst the 50 or so professionals on my team staying here that for the price we paid we should have rec'd better treatment than our last meeting at the Holiday Inn Express.
The rooms are clean but small and have no amenenties outside the ordinary. At two separarate dinners over two nights servers did not bring food or drinks but still managed to charge for such. And made us feel like garbage when requesting cheese for a pasta dish ("well I don't know, I guess I can check the back if you really want")
The final blow was the fact that if you wish to have a mini fridge in your room yo will be charged $25 a night and if you request a shuttle to take you and 5 friends to downtown Leesburg one way (a 5 min drive) get ready to fork over $150.
If you read my past dozen or so hotel reviews, all have been positive. I spend around $2, 000-$5, 000 on vacations and have stayed in mcuh more opulent destinations. I have not been treated as poorly as this since staying in a motel for senior week of high school, which was to be fair, was well deserved.

Room Tip: Skip it just avoid staying here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank kathleenobrien416
Dear kathleenobrien416,
Thank you for taking time to submit this review. Obviously, this is not the type of review we are used to reading based on our history on Tripadvisor. However, I want you to know that I take your comments very seriously. We host hundreds of corporate groups and retreats annually - with many returning for multiple years - all centered on our ability to deliver on the promise we make to all of our guests. Rest assured, I will personally investigate your comments, review with our team, and make the necessary adjustments and changes to ensure any future visits by you, or your company meet and exceed your expectations.

James J. Horsman
Managing Director
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It was a great weedend away. The town of leesburg has great shopping and resturants and the hotel was perfect for a quick getaway. The golf was awesome and the spa was very relaxing ( a littel pricey).

Naperville, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

A beautiful property! Stayed 2 nights while attending a wedding. Staff was extremely attentive. Choice of several restaurants. Beautiful views from the rooms. Didn't golf but the courses look wonderful. Choice of several pools, including one just for those over 14.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Spent one overnight for our wedding anniversary. Got a special on the Alcove suite, which was very spacious and fairly well appointed. Bathroom was not on par with price/caliber of room but no big deal for an overnight.
Booking and front desk staff were very nice. Dinner at Crooked Billet on the patio was actually outstanding (both meals and the view). Pool and service at "adult pool" were terrific too, but prices were way out of whack ($10 for non alcoholic Daiquiri).
Complaints about noise are valid- we were kept up by a very loud party next door (music, yelling) and it took a couple of calls to the front desk and a noise machine before we could get to sleep. Also could not use spa as staff is limited mid week therefore appts. are nearly impossible.
I'd say great for a business conference, might go elsewhere for a romantic getaway next time.

1 Thank Pernski
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Every year, my wife's company takes the first or second weekend in August as their company "offsite." Basically, employees and their families get 2 nights paid in a hotel (usually nearish the DC area). That includes the room, an open bar cocktail reception Friday night, a seated banquet with an open bar Saturday night and a per-person stipend to spend around the resort as you please. This is my review of the resort, as someone who got to experience it for free.

My overall impression is that the resort is very nice, if not a bit odd. As in, you find yourself thinking "what is this big resort/golf complex/spa doing in the middle of Leesburg?" It seems out of place, but that doesn't detract from the experience any. From the moment you walk in, the staff is friendly and helpful without being overbearingly so (no one's going to harass you to carry your bags for you, for example).

Room:
The rooms are small and oddly furnished, with a kind of 1960's vibe to them. Obviously decor preferences are very personal, but it's not what I would expect from such a new hotel. The bed is a bed, and the TV's are nice flat-screen Samsungs. Mini fridges would be a nice touch, but were sadly absent. The bathroom is spacious and clean, but again for such a new hotel nothing remarkable. The water pressure in our room was particularly disappointing. On the plus side, the toiletries were both high-quality and plentiful. The hotel also provides free WiFi, which I found serviceable enough (hotel WiFi is notoriously weak, even when you have to pay for it). In general, it's a hotel room that's completely unremarkable in every way. Perfectly fine for sleeping, and comfortable enough for relaxing during the day if that's your prerogative.

Food:
My biggest beef with the dining options is that they were almost too plentiful, as if the hotel wants to create the illusion of choice when there doesn't need to be as much. As a result, a lot of the menu items seemed duplicative, and there was no real indication as to why you should choose one place over another. That said, I'll review the places we visited.

- Riverside Hearth: This is where we had dinner Friday night after the cocktail reception. It's buffet style, and when we placed our reservations early we were quoted a price of $29/person (as I said, we didn't have to "pay" for things, but everything counted against our stipend). Other employees who did not make early reservations claimed to have paid more, something like $40/head. At any price, it wasn't worth it. The menu that night was Italian, and Italian food doesn't do so well in chafing dishes. There was lasagna that was tasty but not actually lasagna, seafood pappardelle that was just noodles and seafood, cold mozzarella sticks, undercooked pizza, and "chicken tenders parmesan" that would have been good if they weren't soggy. The ceasar salad was good. The staff was attentive enough, I guess, though how attentive does a buffet waiter need to be? Come to think of it, we were never offered a refill on our wine, which turned out to be fine because it was $8/glass.

- Stonewalls Tavern: We didn't eat here, but we did come here for drinks and to watch the Nationals game. The staff here was very attentive and accommodating. It's a pretty neat bar, with shuffleboard and Nintendo Wii's set up. Unfortunately (for us), that also made it very kid-friendly, though that abated as the night went on. They had a little live 2-man band playing covers, and they were fine. They took requests, and they even accommodated me going up and singing a song they knew how to play but not sing. Drink prices were all over the map. A Budweiser was only $4.50, but a cocktail could set you back $10+. Like I said we didn't eat, but the menu seemed to be a step or two above standard bar fare, with prices to match. Overall, this was probably our favorite place.

- Crooked Billet/Pub 46 Lounge: This was a case where I'm not even sure which restaurant we were in because there was nothing to distinguish the two. I think we were in the lounge because we were in the bar area, but there was no way to tell. The hostess was perfect, but from there things went downhill. There were approximately 194 servers running around with only a few seated tables, but we sat unattended for 5-10 minutes until the bartender finally came over to take our order. The food, when it finally came, was delicious (get the truffle fries). Portions were gigantic and very reasonably priced for a faux clubhouse at a golf resort, I think $12 for my burger and the same for her comically large club sandwich. Things actually improved when we went outside to spend the rest of the afternoon sipping beers on the lovely porch area. I could pop inside for a couple of refills and receive prompter service than I could at the table, and by this time things were busier than when we arrived. Not a bad experience, per se, but an odd one, and table service was arduously slow given the apparent number of staff on hand.

- Catered Banquet: This isn't something you'd encounter as an average guest, but if you're thinking of having a wedding reception or event here, just know that the banquet food sucks. Bad. To be fair, I've never really expected the food to shine at a 200+ person seated banquet, but this was worse than normal. We both had the chicken dish, which was a flavorless chicken breast wrapped in a flavorless pastry and cooked just enough that it was dry. Others had the steak, which was a fillet served to varying degrees of doneness (not by choice, it was just luck of the draw). Some chose the fish dish and had nothing good to say about it, but that's on them because if you order fish at that kind of event you deserve whatever you get. Dessert was a bland chocolate cake thing with a tasteless whipped topping. The ceasar salad was good, though. Apparently that's something they do well.

Unfortunately it rained on Saturday, so most of our plans were shot and we spent the day just hanging out on the clubhouse porch. Still, I'll review the few things I did experience, along with secondhand accounts from other employees.

- Golf: The resort boasts 45 holes, two championship courses and a little 9-holer. I didn't play, because I was quoted $70 for just nine holes on either of the big courses, which is ridiculous. They also attempted to make a tee-time for a single, which to me is unheard of. I did get to use their practice facility, which was nice because the range balls were free and it's located very close to the main hotel building. All the golf staff I encountered were pleasant, eager to help, and very engaging. The only bummer is that we were hitting off of turf mats, despite there appearing to be three tiers of lush, fully recovered grass. The range is huge, easily 400+ yards, and at the far end I could see golfers hitting balls off of grass. I have no idea how you get down there though, because no one offered an explanation.

- Pool: We didn't bother with the pool but others did, and no one had anything bad to say. There are a ton of them, including a waterfall pool, water slide, kids area, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, etc. There's also a poolside cafe serving drinks and lite fare, and I'm told it was convenient and reasonably priced. If the weather's nice, it's worth checking out.

- Spa: I didn't go to the spa, but I was told by those who did that it was a good experience and not outrageously priced as far as hotel spas go. I just looked, and a spa pedicure is $90, which is double what my wife pays at home. I guess that's to be expected.

- Basketball/Tennis: The resort has basketball and tennis courts on site which, from what I could tell, were free to use and equipment is available. Kind of self explanatory, but I thought it bears mentioning. If you're an active person staying in the Leesburg area, this might be the place for you.

Overall, it was a fine experience, great amenities coupled with at-times wonky service. If you had to stay in the area, I guess I would recommend it, but I'm not going to do backflips over it or anything. It's located close to several of the area's wineries, which is a nice touch and something we took advantage of when we checked out. I think if I had to pay for everything out of pocket, I'd probably knock it down a notch - the value for your money wouldn't be there. Again, that's not to say it's bad, but if I were to pay a premium price, I would expect a premium product.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies overlooking the driving range and have gorgeous views of the valley/foothi...
Green Features: I wasn't aware they had any, beyond the standard optional towel washing that's pretty standard nowadays. They did have their toiletries installed in the shower, which I guess would prevent waste since you can't steal them easily.
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
4.5 of 5 stars 211 reviews
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Courtyard Dulles Town Center

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!