“Much Better Stay this Time - but still some quirks..”

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband, toddler son and I just visited the Landsdowne Resort for our second time after a not so enjoyable stay last year. 2 nights of our stay were complimentary of the hotel management. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived in our room, there was a note from hotel management and a tray with chocolate covered strawberries, chocolates and spring water. It was a nice personal touch and we greatly appreciated it. We were only on the 2nd floor so when we opened our window it was literally paralell with a roof so it was not so pleasant. Our corner king room upgrade was just a pane of glass away from the roof covered in stones and a satellite dish. Our first visit we were dissatisfied with the noise from other rooms, the extremely uncomfy beds, the worn out chairs in the Riverside Hearth, the smell in our room, and the staff in the pool/gym area leaving a pair of dirty underwear in the walkway and not addressing it. Getting a corner king room this time definitely helped with the noise level however, the walls are still thin so we did hear our neighbors next door. The smell in the room this time was not smokey or musty and there was a nice scent throughout the hotel - it smelled like pina colada. The Riverside Hearth was completely redecorated and looks wonderful, no more worn down cracked leather chairs. Nice job! The breakfast buffet there is outstanding. The beds are still "springy" and not very comfortable. The room decor is fine but the lighting is still dim. The corner king room did help with more natural light into the room. The bathroom is nice with slate and tile. We did have a few issues at the pool - we waited over an hour and half for lunch that we ordered and kept asking the staff to check on it and it never arrived. I eventually went up myself and found that they just never brought the order out to us. The manager made us another meal and did not charge us for it and also gave us free lunch the next day. That was very nice. One of the days my husband and I noticed a trail of blood on the stones and into the men's room. It was a lot of blood...someone must have cut their foot. We reported it right away. The staff just really didn't seem to concerned.... Unfortunately, after over an hour - the blood was still there. I cringed watching people walk around in their bare feet all over it. I eventually after some time went and reported it again. The reaction was the same - like it was no big deal... Has to be some kind of hazard, at least put cones out. Finally a staff member came out and cleaned the stones but no one ever cleaned the bathroom where the blood was leading to - this should have been addressed right away - someone else with a open or broken skin on the feet could be stepping in someone else's blood- quite gross. Other than that - we enjoyed our stay. It is a nice resort and in a great location, there are tons of amenities and activities at the pool. We will most likely return again. I just think that the staff needs to pay a little more attention to detail. Maybe because I am an office manager, I expect things to be addressed immediately, but in my opinion - they should be. The staff in the pool and gym area are young and I believe this is the problem with laxed attitude. Some coaching is definitely needed. I deal with complaints all day and no matter how minor you think it is or you just don't feel like doing it - YOU HAVE TO. A manager should be walking the pool area every hour or so to check to see if anything needs addressed. I never saw anyone. The mattresses should be replaced and something should be done with the party walls between rooms to help the noise level.

Room Tip: Corner King Room on High Floor
1  Thank Felicia N
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Felicia N,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Lansdowne Resort and the amenity that was selected just for you. I’m glad you noticed the renovation of the Riverside Hearth, we are thrilled with the outcome. On the other hand I am terribly disappointed about the issue you encountered at the pool, which I will address with our Health Club Manager. I am not certain how this could have happened, but the staff at the pool should have immediately taken care of the problem. We appreciate your honesty and hope that you will join us again in the future as we are committed to making your stay exceptional.

There are newer reviews for Lansdowne Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved our stay at Lansdowne Resort! That said, while the resort and pools are gorgeous the rooms and food options need some improvements. Our kids loved the three large outdoor pools and the water slide. We loved the beautiful grounds and view to look around. There were very few food options. For example, the only breakfast offering was fine dining with the buffet price at $22/person. There was no café or snack type dining available unless you got in your car to drive out to Panera or Starbucks. They did however have free coffee available at the entry to the dining room. The beds in the room were some of the least comfortable I've been in for a long time. They sagged at the side and the doubles were way too small for a couple. We were there for July 4th and the festivities, music and fireworks was a very nice event! Overall we enjoyed our stay, just not the room. (we did try to upgrade to a suite but they were all booked) Lastly, our check in was not available until 4:30. Awkward but not a show stopper.

Room Tip: Avoid the double beds - they are too small for two people.
1  Thank mgc555

Dear mgc555,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay at Lansdowne Resort. While we are certainly pleased to read that you enjoyed a great stay, we are disappointed to read that the food options and rooms need improvement. Please accept our apologies if your accommodations were amiss in anyway. We greatly appreciate your kind understanding and are thankful to learn it did not detract from your overall experience. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it is our hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have visited Landsdowne twice a year for the last five years, with our teens and as a quick romantic getaway alone. It has slowly gone down hill each year. The place is now looking worn, and aged with dingy stained carpets and the rooms are worn out looking with old TV, etc. Our room had a strong odor to it, which the front desk told us was the cleaning agents. The pool was so packed we could not find two lounge chairs together, because the pool is open to the golf club members, so basically the public. There used to be a designated adult pool, but that is now gone, so we had kids splashing all around us. I don't believe in charging resort fees if you can't enjoy the resort. I have twins and I used to be the parent bringing them to the pool all day, but its just too much there now. This was fourth of July weekend and there was a fireworks show on Saturday night, which we did not know about, it was open to the public, so it was a zoo trying to get back to the hotel and try and find parking. They placed our room next to the crew that put on the show, with comped rooms I assume. We finally had to call security at 1:00 am in the morning they were so loud and inconsiderate, going from room to room and slamming their doors. then they woke at 7:00 am and were even louder this went on the whole weekend. I believe when you pay for your room, maybe you are more respectful of others and their experience as well as your own. This is a group, convention, wedding, family, event destination and should not be marketed as a romantic getaway, because there is nothing romantic about it now, as a couple we simply don't bring in the big bucks they want. The spa was nice and not crowded, but its over priced and it is not worthy of a splurge. I won't get a massage there any more because last summer when I got one, the table was moving a lot and I kept thinking it was going to collapse with me on it, so I was unable to relax. I told the masseuse about this and he said all the tables were in use and that he was sorry. I felt I should have gotten a free massage it was so bad. We are military and savor our weekends away, we like to relax and splurge a little, but we honestly could not wait to leave. we have been there on less busy weekends and it was better but it has changed from when we first began going. The food...overpriced and not great. we have given up ordering room service it was so bad, and cold and the café/bar is bad too. The breakfast buffet is about the only nice thing and no one really goes into the gym if you want to workout. The live music and concerts are fun but we are done with Landsdowne and moving on to new resorts...sad, it used to be a great place for us..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ktarman

Dear Ktarman,

Thank you for being loyal guests of Lansdowne. I would like extend my sincerest apologies on behalf of my staff for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced. I am deeply disheartened to read that your stay with us would not inspire a return visit and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. I regret if any noise disturbed you during your time with us. We want our guests to experience a quiet and restful sleep during their stay. Your valued feedback will be shared with our management team to ensure we continue to put our guests first. We hope you'll reconsider giving us another chance in the future so that we may change your impression. Again, thank you for your honesty.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

If we had traveled as a family, this would have been just fine. Who cares that the pool (all of them, including the "relaxation" pool) is swarming with children, if some of them are yours? Who cares that the rooms are a bit threadbare and dated, if your kids are going to be jumping around? Who cares that the place is way too crowded for the number of staff, as long as there's plenty of activities to keep the kids busy?

We are a thirty-something couple who just wanted a weekend away from the city in close proximity to the wineries so we could get some pampering and quiet time. We had a nice trip, but it was in spite of the hotel, not because of it. The room was dated, dark, and not well-designed. If I listed all the little things that made it less-than-stellar, it would seem petty (...so there are no light fixtures in the hallway of the room, making it impossible to use the closet...okay, there are no towel racks in the bathroom, whatever...hmm, it would have been nice if there was a nightstand on both sides of the bed, no biggie...) If this had been a $100 room, then whatever, but at $250+ a night, I expect a minimum of comfort. The bed was rock hard, the pillows were teeny-tiny and limited in number, and the comforter was just a thin blanket sandwiched between two scratchy flat sheets. We woke up every morning to the screams of the toddlers next door -- and we could hear every word they said with sparkling clarity. We also heard a number of other "conversations" from the adjoining rooms with disturbing clarity as well.

We ventured to the pool twice, and spent our time trying to keep our books out of the splash zone of the OVERWHELMING number of people (mainly kids). We tried On the Potomac (their nicer restaurant?), but were turned off by the poor service, horrible fish-market smell, and lackluster ambience. We left before we ordered -- it was that bad.

Just keep in mind that this resort doubles as a country club and hosts numerous summer camps for kids in the community, so hotel guests are not a priority. We came back from dinner out one night and COULDN'T EVEN GET ONTO THE PROPERTY. They were hosting a fireworks show, and the place was mobbed. They host this event every summer -- they couldn't have tipped us off with a letter in the morning to keep our car on property or allow extra time to get back? Or provided more staff to do valet? Or reserved parking for hotel guests only? I completely resented having to walk A MILE from our car to the hotel. What the heck am I paying for? The fireworks show was nice, and we enjoyed being able to watch it from the balcony of our room, overlooking the driving range, but our enjoyment was tempered by the frantic rush to try to make it back in time after searching for parking for twenty minutes (we ended up at an office building down the road).

The only bright spot was the spa, which was comfortable and well appointed. The services were luxurious and the staff was friendly, unobtrusive, and very good at their work. But overall, we'll be looking elsewhere the next time we're in the area. It's too bad there aren't more nice, luxury-level hotels in this area -- for those of us who aren't into the B&B thing, there are really limited options in the Leesburg area.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlooking the driving range are great if you're there for the fireworks. The ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IzziGirlAbroad

Dear IzziGirlAbroad,

Thank you for taking the time out to comment on your recent stay with us. I would like extend my sincerest apologies on behalf of my staff for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced.
I’d like to start off by saying that I am glad that you had a positive experience in Spa Minérale. That being said, it disappoints me to hear about your experience with our July 6th fireworks celebration. You should have been informed of all aspects of the celebration including parking. I regret that you had to park at an office building down the street. I will be sure to speak with our Rooms director to avoid a similar situation from happening next year. It is our intention to provide each and every guest the best experience possible. Please be assured that your review will be shared with our management team to ensure that we continue to put our guests first.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

When we arrived, the air conditioning was broken. Kristin discounted our first night's stay 50% and offered us a free night in the future. Our stay was very relaxing, and we will return in August. My husband would love a small in and out kiosk in the lobby where you could grab a fast breakfast of coffee and Danish in the morning and ice cream or snacks in the afternoon, also maybe grab and go snacks.

Room Tip: We usually book 2 adjoining rooms, which have two full beds in one room and a king in the other. Thi...
1  Thank Walter B

Dear Walter B,
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found it very relaxing. Thank you for sharing your comments. Please accept my apologies for the problems we were having with the air conditioning; I am glad we were able to resolve the issue quickly. Thank you so much for choosing us and for your recommendation of a kiosk in the lobby. I will certainly take your recommendation into consideration. We look forward to your return visit soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Spent July 4th weekend there as a couple. Enjoyed the stay. The bar has live music on Friday nights, so we really enjoyed a Friday night bar/music/pool tables all smoke-free and an elevator ride away from our room! It got more crowded Sat night because of a July 4th event there. King bed room was nice, yes, decor is dark but I like that modern style. Bathroom was well decorated and modern. Room lighting is not that great-good task lighting but no lamp really lit up the room well. Some tips: bring a sleep noise machine or other white noise fan- the building has some kind of wall or acoustics issue that you hear everyone's conversations. But once we turned on the noise fan we slept just fine. Also, watch the wedding schedule (you can see it on your TV) and don't try to hit the bar within an hour after a wedding or in between a ceremony and reception- the bar gets mobbed for a bit. The rest of the time it's fine. If with kids, I noticed all kids had to leave the bar at 10pm on Fri night so they can't stay for the music much (it started at 9).

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MDBeachLoverAlso

Dear MDBeachLoverAlso,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your comments. It was our pleasure to have you at Lansdowne Resort. Thank you for mentioning that you enjoyed Stonewalls Tavern and that you were pleased with the rooms. We greatly appreciate your patronage and look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice facility with a lot of options for leisure/entertainment. But if I'd known in advance how horribly overcrowded the resort management has allowed this to become, I *never* would've come here. Despite 5 nice swimming pools, they were out of towels, out of chairs, the pools themselves were packed wall to wall and the deck and snack areas were dirty disaster zones. Seriously, this is a management issue - limit the memberships, or build an additional facility! We didn't feel like resort guests at all, rather more like straws on the camel's back. So disappointed that we spent time and money in this, totally not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank TT476

Dear TT476,

We are deeply disappointed to read that your recent stay did not impress you in every way. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your visit. We will share your comments with our entire team to make certain we continue to provide top-notch service and well-appointed accommodations to our valued customers. Thank you for your feedback, it is our hope that you will reconsider a future stay with us.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#1 of 14 in Tysons Corner
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!