“Enjoyed the resort, will go back”

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
virginia
“Enjoyed the resort, will go back”
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I enjoyed this resort very much. The room we had was elegant and cozy, the spa was great, and the location better than I thought.

Although the resort sits adjacent to shopping centers and neighborhoods, it did feel like we had gotten away. I recommend trying one of the nearby Wineries. We went to Tarara Winery and enjoy wine tasting. Afterwards we enjoyed shopping at the Leesburg Outlets which is literally a few miles away.

The resort rooms were excellent. They were clean, cozy, and the resort allows early check in, you just need to inform them at least the night before. I told the concierge that it was our anniversary and they sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne upon our arrival.

The only con about this resort is probably the restaurants. Although they look nice and classy, we browsed through the menus and peeked at the buffet and did not think it was worth the prices. Instead we visited the local town center and found an excellent seafood and steak restaurant. Can't remember the name but it's a sister restaurant of Sweet Water Tavern. I highly recommend it.

We also went to the spa which was wonderful. The service was great, the massages were great, and the steam room, sauna, and whirl pool were great. Will go back again.

TIP: I purchased my weekend package online when they were having a featured special: about $160 per night + a free $50 gift card to spend at the resort.

• Liked — the room and spa
  • Disliked — the expensive restaurants
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
North Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed November 29, 2007

My wife and I stayed one night for our 10th anniversary. We've stayed at nice resorts before. My wife stated it this way, "It seems like they're trying hard to be a really nice resort, but some things just don't flow." She says that at the spa, it seems like they thought they needed quiet music, so they ordered the quiet musac without a thought to how it sounded, rather than putting together something themselves. The architecture and design seemed kind of cookie-cutter for the price.

Also, we were put 2 doors down from the Presidential Suite. There were signs taped to the wall saying "35th anniversary party - Presidential Suite." This meant there were lots of drunk, loud people in their 60's late at night making noise in the hallway. When we called to complain at midnight, they said they had no idea there was a party on our floor (which seems wrong, since there were signs). They offered to change our room, but we didn't want to pack everything up and get dressed at midnight. We did find they knocked $100 off our room rate the next morning, which was very nice.

I ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to be delivered to our room while we were out at the spa. When we got back, there was a card saying we should call for our amenity when we wanted it delivered since they didn't want to disturb us. This ruined the surprise. The chocolate tasted "soapy" according to my wife.

All in all it is a nice resort, but not quite worth the expensive price tag.

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Value
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Owego, NY
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I've been to Lansdowne several times over the last seven years for corporate conferences. It's always been a great place to stay, and even better since they started remodeling several years ago. LOVE the new decor, and the spa is fantastic. Everywhere you look is someting beautiful, and that includes the views. I will also say that overall, they've always fed us well. While sometimes the banquet food can be a little lacking, the Lansdowne Grill, conference snack stations and butlered appetizers are all fantastic. A co-worker and I made the mistake of ordering a pizza from room service one night this time, though, and that was a mistake. For $30, we go what could best be described as an 8-inch flavorless disc seemingly procured from Wal-Mart. Ugh. The new Clubhouse is gorgeous, and the buffet banquet they did for us there was really nice. The wines this year were particularly good. Another high point is the new spa. I had a fantastic massage therapist who was friendly and made me confortable, and the new relaxation rooms, whirlpool, sauna and steamroom in the locker room were all top drawer. Loved the bathing suit dryer, too! Overall, this place is great, but there are always one or two little ticks that can derail your experience. For instance, why aren't there lights in the shower? It's terribly dark in there, and shaving is trecherous. Little things like that, and the disastrous pizza, can make a big difference in a place that's trying to be as high caliber as Lansdowne is.

• Liked — Decor; spa
  • Disliked — room service; rooms are dark
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed October 1, 2007

Had a girl’s weekend at the resort on the 9-29. Lansdowne was far enough to get away, but close enough to make it home to kids if need be.

We had massages and pedicures at Spa Minerale.

I've had plenty of massages and I can honestly say that this massage was the WORST massage I've ever gotten. There was no flow to my therapist's movements. She was rough (abrupt) and not gentle at all. The massage was spotty. Most of the time, it felt like she was digging vs. working on the muscles. I was so miserable that mid way through, I couldn't wait for the massage to end. Put me out of my misery.

My normal therapist gives me so much more for so much less.

My entire stay at Lansdowne has been disappointing. The plumbing was very loud. You could hear the bathroom flushing all night long. I expected a more luxurious feel to the resort and unfortunately I didn't get it. Wouldn't recommend, wouldn't return. Not worth the money you pay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Spa service, loud bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank gnalay
MD
Reviewed August 26, 2007

If you are a traveler that has high expectations of a resort and expects to get what you pay for, then you may not want to choose this hotel. In general this hotel is very inconsistent.

•I’m not a big fan of the décor although I know that other people liked it. I had a suite and the bathroom (shower & tub section) looked like I was staying in one of those budget hotels – NOT AT ALL WHAT I WOULD EXPECT FROM A SUITE)
•Some staff is very friendly and attentive whereas some others are not. Our wine & antipasto never came to our room and when we mentioned it to the front desk they responded to me as if I were not telling the truth. They were not rude, but I got the feeling they did not believe me. Maybe that is why I still never had it delivered to my room.
•Our first request for a refrigerator went unresolved as it did not arrive until I asked a second time.
•Our tee time for golf was bumped 30 minutes
•The spa appointment was cancelled without notification because an employee called in sick and we were made to wait 30 minutes for a different spa appointment.
•The restaurants had some very nice food but I did have some issues in the Riverside Hearth restaurant. Silverware had to be requested because it was missing on 2 occasions. I had a very dirty coffee cup and when I asked to have it removed, not only did he give me a look like I was being picky, he doubled checked that it was dirty. The server never said sorry, even after he saw how dirty it was. One thing that really annoyed me was I went for the breakfast buffet on the first morning there at 10:20 AM. I was not told that buffet ends at 10:30. Even though they were seating people for the buffet up to 10:30. They came around to my table just after I sat down to tell me that they are breaking down so if you need anything you have to go up now. They were pulling stuff away as I got up there. I never heard of a buffet where they seat you up to 10:30 and then start taking the food away.

If you do not travel often and can deal with all the inconsistencies then this place is ok. Me on the other hand for $420 golf & spa package (small suite) I expected to have commitments honored and things done on time with a smile.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank XHotelMgr
Clarksburg, Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I won a Jazz on the Potomac Package at Lansdowne and stayed there with my wife August 17-18, 2007. We had reviewed the many comments about the resort on this site, including the many problems guests have encountered, but were willing to give the hotel a fresh start and provide the "inside scoop" for potential future guests.

When we pulled up to the entrance to the reosrt, the staff quickly unloaded our luggage and offered to valet park our car, which we accepted. They didn't mention the $15 charge for this, however, which I didn't find out about until a bill was slid under our room door at 2 AM. Our luggage arrived in our room right behind us.

Check-in was quick and the staff was accomodating and polite. I had to go back to the front desk to get some food coupons for the Jazz Package that they had forgotten to give me. Luckily, I had brought a copy of the email confirmation of my reservation that mentioned this, and they gave me the food tickets with no problem.

My wife has difficulty walking due to persistant knee and foot problems, so we reserved a handicapped room. It was set up fairly well for this purpose, but the adjustable shower head was a bit loose from wear. It was certainly not a luxury room by any means. It more closely resembled an average decent motel room. The TV was an older model, but they did have WiFi and internet access. I'm sure there are better rooms for guests that spend more and stay longer. Some of the furnishings looked a bit dated. This was surprising since they recently completed a multimillion dollar renovation.

We were placed at a shared VIP table with cocktail service for the jazz performance, which took place outside near the Lansdowne Grille. It was difficult for my wife to get to the spot as the closest elevator was quite a distance from the site. This was a problem getting to the Riverside Hearth for breakfast the next morning also.

The food selection was meager and pricey. Entrees were 2 tickets ($10) and included a wrap, shrmip, cheese and a salad. Drinks were 1 ticket ($5). We got two orders of shrimp and shared a salad. There were a good amount of shrimp included, and the salad was decent. Service was very good and the server went out of her way to get me a drink that was not on the menu. The music performance was also very nice.

Our room was a bit noisy. We could clearly hear water running from the neighboring bathroom, and any noise in the hallway. The thermostat also made a loud clicking sound every time it came on. Fortuneately, things quited down later in the evening so we could get some rest.

Breakfast the next morning was included at the Riverside Hearth. As I mentioned, it was difficult to get to as there is no elevator close by. They had a great selection of just about anything you could want served kiosk style, and the service and food quality were excellent. There was always a line at the grill for waffles, omlettes and pancakes, but it went quickly. My wife loved the fresh squeezed orange juice.

We looked for a closer way back to our room, but didn't find one. We did pass some worn carpet on the way back, and the area around the conference rooms could have been a bit cleaner.

Checkout was quick and easy, and someone immediately came to get our bags and bring them down and load them into our waiting car.

Overall, our experience was a mixed bag, but for an essentually free stay it wasn't too bad. The place could certainly use more renovation and updating and easier access to places people are likely to go, such as the restaurants. It is certainly not a four-star resort, but it does have its good points. The grounds, pools, and golf course looked very nice from what I saw, and the food was quite good. Our service was great all the way, but they do heavilly depend on college students in the summer, which may explain some of the service problem faced by others. Some just may not care as much since it's not a full-time job for them. One told us that the resort is usually understaffed after they go back to school, which may cause a bit of stress for the full-timers. If you're a golfer or otherwise plan to spend a lot of time outside your room, you'll probabbly be OK. Otherwise, I'd search for better, cheaper accomodations.

• Liked — Service and food were great in our experience.
  • Disliked — Room quality and handicapped accessibility to the restaurants and outside activities. Extras pricey.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank daveb456
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We stayed here for a family function that included family members from 2 to 82. It is hard to find a hotel or resort that can meet the needs of a big, diverse group. We stayed in a suite with two adjoining rooms. Our teenage daughters shared another room, closeby.
On the plus side: the $169/ night group rate was affordable. The golf
and tennis facilities were great. The many pools and workout room were clean and well supervised. The hotel offers both wired and wireless internet service and both worked fine. Now for the not-so-good: As soon as we got off the elevator, we were greeted by a horrible smell. I can only describe the smell as a mix of industrial cleaners, pesticides and rotting food. The hallways are dimly lit and
the carpet is old and gross. Room service trays with dirty plates and
half eaten food sat on the floor outside several rooms. The rooms also smelled but not as badly as the hallways. The beds and bathrooms
were serviceable, just old and way outdated. If we had not been there
for the family function, we would have turned around and found another hotel. During our 3 day stay, we tried to spend as much time as possible out of the rooms. Service from housekeeping and at the front desk was adequate (if uninspired). All in all, I am just mystified as to why the hotel doesn't rip the interior down to the studs and renovate the rooms. Given the nice facilities outside, why do they ask people to stay in these old, smelly rooms? Hard to understand.

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Fargo5306
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
Comfort Suites Leesburg
#3 of 7 in Leesburg
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!