“Wines are Pretty Good”

Willowcroft Farm Vineyards
Ranked #23 of 79 things to do in Leesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A winery where people can do wine-tasting and even volunteer with the harvest - a real hands-on learning experience.
Reston, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wines are Pretty Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The wines are good. The staff was overwhelmed and it wasn't that busy. No one was waiting behind us, and there were only 2-4 people per staff, but they were running around like the bar was completely disorganized or they were new. It was not a good experience becasue we stood around for 45 minutes just trying to get through our tasting. The barn itself is rustic and interesting, though the tasting room is small. I wasn't impressed by the grounds...not some place I'd like to relax with a bottle necessarily. I would go here again, but not on a day when it is likely to be busy.

Visited July 2012

DC
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Wonderful Wines, Great View, & Beautiful Tasting Areas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

While the drive to get to Willowcroft was interesting to say the least (tiny, paved, tree-lined roads for miles & miles), the wines were worth the drive. My husband and I had a tasting, cheese & crackers, and ended up purchasing three bottles (they have deals if you purchase multiple bottles). While there are other wineries in the area you could visit, this one had the best wines of the Harmony Wine Trail. The owner travels to France regulary and has a wine selection of wines to please any palate; he really understands how to make the grapes taste their best. Every year changes, so make sure to look up their current offerings. The service was amazing; all of their employees are super sweet and jovial.
The winery sits on top of mountains, and the view into the valley is gorgeous. You can picnic outside at the many tables available on the property. There is a barn on the property that serves as the tasting room. The barn is hundreds of years old, and kept in great condition. With the wine, the view, and the beautiful tasting area Willowcroft is one of our favorite Virginia wineries.
The drive from D.C. is about 1 hour and 20 minutes with normal traffic. The drive from the Leesburg Outlets (check those out while you're in the area!) is about 20 minutes.

Visited June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Knowledgeable staff, wine good enough to change my mind about Virginia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I saw a deal online, maybe through Travelzoo or Living Social- and got two tastings, a cheese and cracker tray, and a bottle to take home for $20. Not a bad deal. I figured at least it would be a nice way to spend the day, even if I wouldn't enjoy the wine. I was pleasantly surprised. The Riesling Vidal Blanc tastes like crisp green apples and I was happy to bring it home with me. Same with Claire, a dessert wine that screams of peaches (and would be amazing with a summer cobbler). The place is rustic and a little off the beaten-path, but there are paved roads (if you go the right way). The knowledgeable staff also pointed us in the direction of other places we'll love, so now we have plans for future summer outings. All in all, a terrific deal, very kind knowledgeable people, and a vineyard that's been around long enough (30 years) to know what's what.

Visited June 2012
richmond, virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Rustic Winery with decent wines”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our visit to Willowcroft. The man pouring our tastings was funny and really knowledgable about the wine. The tasting room is in an old barn...very rustic. The wine was pretty good too...not mind blowing, but some delicious choices. Overall, a nice stop in Northern Virginia.

Visited January 2012
Maryland
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Scenic, rustic but interesting winery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

Willowcroft is quite a way down an unpaved road, so were were glad that we had a nice day to visit. They say it is the oldest winery in Loudoun County. There is a nice expansive view, and the tasting room is in a converted barn. The barn is authentic, with the restrooms situated in stalls across the hallway from the tasting room. We had a coupon offer through Capitol Deals that covered two tastings, a cheese and cracker platter, and had enough credit left to cover a bottle of wine (all for $20). The young woman who served us was quite knowledgeable and she explained about how they harvest the grapes and so forth. The tasting room is small, but there appears to be more space upstairs. There were two whites we enjoyed: 2009 Riesling
Muscat-Ottonelm and a 2009 Traminette, which is described as a Gewurtztraminer hybrid, so we bought a bottle of the latter. It is worth the trip to Willowcroft.

Visited March 2011