“Lively Tour....”

Oatlands Historic House & Garden
Ranked #3 of 79 things to do in Leesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A historic garden property administered by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

It was a cold and dreary day when I made my way out to Oatlands. It is in the middle of Hunt Country and there are only large farms in the vicinity. However I happily found it without too much trouble and lucked out on arriving about 15 minutes before the next tour. Upon arriving at the house after a short walk from the old barn (now cafe, shop and visitors center), my soon to be guide, let me in the house out of the cold. The other members of my tour soon arrived from wandering the grounds. The guide was delightful and had so much information to share about this lovely 200+ year old home/plantation. The tour is guided for throughout the first floor and then your are given free rein to visit the second floor where there are signs posted with information. Following the visit to the house, I took a brief walk in the garden, but as it was November when I visited, there wasn't much to see. Another big draw to Oatlands is their Afternoon Tea which is normally at 1pm of certain days (schedule on their website), but you have to have a reservation so they can plan for enough food (no walk ins, as I learned).

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is not Mt Vernon but it does have an amazing look into the early world of virginia. The tours are a little patronizing but its OK they have tea here on occaisions but I dont think its meant to be fancy.

1  Thank margaret f
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had our wedding there in Aug '12. Had a fantastic time there: both ceremony and reception. The key to this all though was the staff, who were always available to the wife or I to answer questions or provide guidance. We've already said we'll be sure to have our next wedding there as well (tongue firmly in cheek).

If this is a site you're considering for your event, a brief call to the staff will cement the site's selection for you!

(Just stay away from the Holiday Inn in Leesburg. <shudder>)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Being guided through the plantation decorated for Christmas and in candlelight was a lasting memory.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We happened to visit when they were setting up for a tea in the building that houses the gift shop. The atmosphere was wonderful with a violinist and pianist providing soft music while we browsed the gift shop, waiting for our tour of the house to begin. We enjoyed the tour of the historic home and the Christmas decorations were really very nice.