“Clean & Comfortable with a great Free breakfast buffett, no problems”

Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilmarnock
Centreville, Virginia
“Clean & Comfortable with a great Free breakfast buffett, no problems”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My expectations initially were not high as this is a rural/small town area. However, from checkin to check out everything was top notch. Clean & comfortable bed with soft linens, NOT scratchy.
Everything you needed in the bathroom including hairdryer & coffeemaker w/coffee & creamer plus toiletries (except toothpaste, but they offered that gratis). Good cable TV reception also.
Upon check out I saw that they had charged me the wrong rate as I was supposed to get an Wedding reception 'event' rate. However the manager on duty...(a lovely person) Lakita took care of that & made the adjustment. I was in this town working at a Wedding reception/event & the Hotel was sold out but it was NOT noisy. I would definitely recommend this Hotel & look forward to choosing a Holiday Inn Express whenever I need a Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the (2) side entrances & elevator are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I spent one night at this hotel and stupidly left my coat with keys and glasses in the closet. I was being "chauffeured" so didn't notice my mistake until later in the day. I called them and fortunately nobody had moved into the room. Unfortunately, I found it difficult to persuade the desk to check my room but when they did, the coat had gone. The housekeeping manager wasn’t very helpful and told me to call back next day since the “lost property was locked up.” Really? Nobody can check? Next day nothing was found. The hotel “could not contact the maid” so I had to wait another day. Tried to speak with the hotel general manager but she only worked mornings and never called me back despite promises to do so, I eventually had to complain to corporate but that also was a failure with no call back despite a promise to get back within 48 hours. The moral – don’t trust the staff in this hotel to be honest and check your possessions carefully before leaving. Personally I will never stay there or at any Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel chain
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GMHIE98, General Manager at Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
While the Holiday Inn Express appreciates our guests taking time to review our hotel and service, we typically like more pleasent reviews.
In regards to this particular guests issues, plain and simple, the hotel did not locate the item that was claimed to have been left. Unfortunately at that point, there is nothing the hotel can do. I, the General Manager, spoke with the guest following his departurem alerting him that nothing had been logged by housekeeping but I could double check with the executive housekeeper when he arrived to work that morning. When he arrived, he checked the room again and checked with the room attendent that had cleaned the room on the day of the guest departure. Nothing was found or turned in. Before my executive housekeeper could return the call to the guest, he had called back. At that point the guest was told nothing had been found. Following that, the guests wife called the hotel, Holiday Inn Corporate and back to the hotel. The phone calls to my staff anyd our corporate office were done in such a manner that NO ONE was able to have a professional conversation with her. And before anyone could say anything she would hang up. I had the same experience when I spoke with her.
By no means did the hotel or corporate mean to come across as unprofessional or nonresponsive. We did try to locate the item for the guest. I mail hundreds of left items out each year to guests and never have I had an issue like this.
On behalf of the Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn Corporate and myself, we apologize for any inconvenience and hope that the lost item turns up for this guest.

Travelers are raving about these Kilmarnock hotels

Chesterfield, VA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

First room - the safe didn't work, nor did the lights above it. One would think that the cleaning staff would have a checklist and be sure everything worked before leaving the room. This was a minor irritant. What really set me off was the paper thin walls! After hearing the footsteps of the person in the room beside me at the crack of dawn, I asked to be moved. The staff was courteous enough. However, after being moved to a new room and settling in for the night, I finally fell asleep at about 11, some men were running outside my room being very loud. They finally went into their room which, unfortunately for me, was next to mine (why after complaining about noise they decided to put them beside me I do not know). The men had deep voices and talked until about 12:30 a.m. It sounded as if they were in my room! What made it worse was the a/c which was loud and blew cold air directly on you. I had the tv on to try to drown the voices and noise but the a/c was so loud. When it was on I would be freezing and under the covers and have the tv louder, then it would go off and I would be hot and the tv would be too loud. The breakfast wasn't hitting on much either, in my opinion, and God knows I needed decent coffee since I could never get to sleep before 12:30 - 2 a.m. I understand that there was a construction crew staying there and I guess I ended up beside them every time. The day before my last night I talked to the mgr. and she moved me where no one was. It was cool enought to turn the a/c off and I FINALLY got some sleep! I think the Express hotels are a kit so there is no way I will ever stay in another, due to the noise. I was supposed to be training for a new job all week and I hated being so exhausted. Respect the sleep - it's important!!!

Room Tip: one where no one is around you!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This was a nice hotel. The breakfast was incredible, so many options. It was very clean and neat and the room we had was roomy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while visiting friends and family in the area. We were greeted by the general manager and another employee in such a welcoming way I could have sworn that we had known them forever! This was the general experience throughout our stay. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was amazing, and the room was very comfortable! My wife was almost sad to leave!

This will definitely be the only hotel I stay at when visiting the Northern Neck! I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends needing a warm and friendly place to stay while away from home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I would like to express my concern about the physical condition of the Holiday Inn Express in Kilmarnock, Virginia. My wife and I stayed here on the evening of June 18th, 2011, and were sorely disappointed with the condition of the hotel. Specifically:
The outside of hotel had trash in the parking lots that appeared to have been there for days or weeks, cigarette buts littered the areas around the exterior doors. The parking lots and sidewalks had weeds growing in all of the many cracks. The grass appeared to have never been fertilized or watered, and was simply a jumble of weeds. These weeds protruded onto the sidewalks and parking lots, as their appeared to have been no edging or trimming done. The pool areas were also overgrown with weeds, and the pool appeared to have not been vacuumed or skimmed in quite a while. It was evident that nobody from the hotel staff had the responsibility of cleaning the pool, or the pool area. Towels and trash that was there when we checked in the early afternoon, was still there when we checked out the next morning, untouched. The ladder leading into the pool was broken and pulling out of the concrete, a definite safety hazard. Inside the hotel, the lobby and elevators were dirty. Our room was basically clean; however the plumbing fixtures were poorly installed. For example the caulking around the sink and tub was substandard, really just smeared on. All in all, the poor condition left me reluctant to stay at another Holiday Inn Express, unless I stayed there before, or had talked to someone who had stayed there before. I will most likely stay elsewhere. I have photographs of the conditions that I have described, if anyone at Holiday Inn Express is concerned about remedying this atrocious situation.

It definitely shows that there is no pride or ownership taken by the employees or management at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doug C
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We were charged $1,010 dollars for a two night stay! My fiance made a reservation to this place about a month back to reserve the room at least for the first night just like you usually would knowing that it was going to be a busy weekend...labor day for us. We were up there a friends wedding and there was one other place to stay in Kilmarnock that was all booked up be we we're thing ahh...it a holiday inn exp, can't be that bad right? I'll let you decide...so we decided that we were going to split the room: i pay the first night, she pays the second, or viceversa. So they wanted both of our cards and after asking him the third time, this isn't going to be a pending charge to where i am not going to be able to have access to my money is it...he responded "no, we don't charge anything until you check out." I understand pending charges and it's not charged, but if it is pending in your checking/credit card, you cannot gain access to that money. So I give him my card and she gave him her card. So we started thinking I bet you he charged the $355, which was supposed to be $310 to begin with, pending charge anyway on either yours or my card and didn't really think twice about it because he would take the $155 out of the $355 and i would have to wait a day or two for the pending charge to go away. This idiot not only charge the $355 pending charge on my card, but also my fiance's card and then on top of that charge the $155 on both our cards! So we pull over at this gas station off 95 on the NC/SC boarder to find out both of our cards were declining to get gas...We were both both baffled but checked our banking statements in which mine was way bellow zero and her's was as well. We had no cash and stuck at some random gas station of 95 basically screwed. So after waiting for about 45 minutes going back and forth with the guy at the hotel he basically told me he knew what it was like and apologized..."really buddy, you know what it's like to be stranded at some random gas station 250 miles away from home with no money because your holiday in charged us $1,010 instead of $152 each...doubt it" i ended up selling the only possession i own that means anything (Taylor acoustic guitar) for $150.00 to some random trucker in order to get us home...one of the saddest days of my life. I'm writing this right now while it is still fresh on my mind. I BEG you to not even pull into their parking lot because they may charge you a $400 u-turn fee! the breakfast lady is one of the rudest people to walk the planet as well as most of the staff except for one guy that worked two 11-7 graveyard shifts when he was supposed to be in miami. you would be more comfortable sleeping in your car n the side of the road then staying in that MILDEW INFESTED SMOKE PIT THEY CALL ROOMS!

Room Tip: what rooms?
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ptrak_orourke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
Quality Inn Gloucester
#1 of 1 in Irvington
The Gables
The Gables
#2 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel? Share your experiences!