“I'd rather shove bamboo shoots in my toenails and fingernail then stay at the holiday inn exp. kilarnock”

Best Western Kilmarnock Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilmarnock
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We were charged $1,010 dollars for a two night stay! My fiance made a reservation to this place about a month back to reserve the room at least for the first night just like you usually would knowing that it was going to be a busy weekend...labor day for us. We were up there a friends wedding and there was one other place to stay in Kilmarnock that was all booked up be we we're thing ahh...it a holiday inn exp, can't be that bad right? I'll let you decide...so we decided that we were going to split the room: i pay the first night, she pays the second, or viceversa. So they wanted both of our cards and after asking him the third time, this isn't going to be a pending charge to where i am not going to be able to have access to my money is it...he responded "no, we don't charge anything until you check out." I understand pending charges and it's not charged, but if it is pending in your checking/credit card, you cannot gain access to that money. So I give him my card and she gave him her card. So we started thinking I bet you he charged the $355, which was supposed to be $310 to begin with, pending charge anyway on either yours or my card and didn't really think twice about it because he would take the $155 out of the $355 and i would have to wait a day or two for the pending charge to go away. This idiot not only charge the $355 pending charge on my card, but also my fiance's card and then on top of that charge the $155 on both our cards! So we pull over at this gas station off 95 on the NC/SC boarder to find out both of our cards were declining to get gas...We were both both baffled but checked our banking statements in which mine was way bellow zero and her's was as well. We had no cash and stuck at some random gas station of 95 basically screwed. So after waiting for about 45 minutes going back and forth with the guy at the hotel he basically told me he knew what it was like and apologized..."really buddy, you know what it's like to be stranded at some random gas station 250 miles away from home with no money because your holiday in charged us $1,010 instead of $152 each...doubt it" i ended up selling the only possession i own that means anything (Taylor acoustic guitar) for $150.00 to some random trucker in order to get us home...one of the saddest days of my life. I'm writing this right now while it is still fresh on my mind. I BEG you to not even pull into their parking lot because they may charge you a $400 u-turn fee! the breakfast lady is one of the rudest people to walk the planet as well as most of the staff except for one guy that worked two 11-7 graveyard shifts when he was supposed to be in miami. you would be more comfortable sleeping in your car n the side of the road then staying in that MILDEW INFESTED SMOKE PIT THEY CALL ROOMS!

Room Tip: what rooms?
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ptrak_orourke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kents Store, Virginia
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Facility was older and showed some wear and tear.. The location was not great....But, the manager went way above and beyond the call of duty to arrainge a special touch for my wife when we arrived. T his level of personal service and attention is very rare these days and that makes SARA a "KEEPER", she turned an average facility into a memorable stay and I am gratefull for her dedication to customer service !

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties, and this one just doesn't measure up.

In any other location, this property would be, maybe, a Motel 6 or Days Inn.

The phone was dirty. The back of the door was stained with who-knows-what. Ick.

As a former firefighter, I'm sensitive to life-safety issues. The light in the stairwell was burned out in a hotel without an elevator. The desk staff wasn't particularly concerned about it the next morning.

The bedding was up to Holiday Inn Express standards.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Liz B
GMHIE98, Manager at Best Western Kilmarnock Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
I apologize for the light out in the stairwell but the hotel does in fact have an elevator and there is a stairwell on each end of the building. As soon as the staff was aware of the outage it was taken care of.

Travelers are raving about these Kilmarnock hotels

dfw
Reviewed February 23, 2010

This used to be a great place to stay. We stayed here several times each year. Sadly, over time, it has gotten dirty and run-down. The breakfasts are not fresh and the staff acts as if they are being put out whenever you ask them to replenish one of the food items.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cindyDfw
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I'm confused. I read all the reviews and was expecting a really pleasant stay here. What I got was two nights of mediocrity. I like how this is the #1 hotel in Kilmarnock. It is also the only hotel in Kilmarnock. I found the front desk clerk not that helpful when I got there. Though he did give me a decent rec for a restaurant. The rooms are tired and the TV made a really odd buzzing noise that was slightly distracting.

There is no fitness center here, which I thought was kind of odd. I'd never been to a hotel for business that didn't have at least a treadmill in a really small room. There were apparently free passes to the Y, but the front desk guy didn't tell me that. I found out for the second day.

I like this area. It's very pretty. And I will probably stay here again, but I won't be happy about it. I wish they'd open a Hampton closer to this place than Gloucester.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank GCC14173
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Enjoyable night....room was nice and clean. Every staff member we had contact with was extremely friendly. Great breakfast, one of the best of all the places we have stayed in recent months. Only minor drawback would be the 25" TV but I guess we have all gotten spoiled at home by having larger HD TV's but this would not stop us from staying there again the next time we are in Kilmarnock.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Booked two rooms for one night. Hotel smells of cigarette smoke upon entering and throughout the hotel. Our non-smoking rooms were directly across from smoking rooms so was hard to escape the smell. Both rooms had visible mold and mildew on the outside wall from an apparent leak. Drywall was pulling away from the window and was black with mold spots. Room smelled of mildew.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maryd4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
Quality Inn Gloucester
#1 of 5 in Reedville
Chesapeake Bay RV Resort
Chesapeake Bay RV Resort
#1 of 2 in Gloucester

Been to Best Western Kilmarnock Inn? Share your experiences!