“An Excellent Weekend Getaway”
Review of Kilmarnock Inn

Kilmarnock Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Kilmarnock B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a gift certificate from colleagues for a weekend getaway with Sunday brunch. The staff was very accommodating with our requests and assisted us in getting the perfect suite - The George. We checked in and were greeted by Susan who walked us to our room and then gave us a detailed orientation to the room while she double checked to make sure everything was in order and to our liking. The inn consists of a main building with a bar, restaurant, and guest rooms. The suites are detached from the main building and joined by a lovely courtyard. There is also a common room off the courtyard for relaxing, etc. The staff were all exceptional as was the brunch. Don't forget to order a Blood Mary - touted as the bloody mary meal. It was amazing! Our suite, the George was very spacious, clean, and well-appointed. We loved that it was on the second floor and had a private outdoor deck with table and chairs for 4. We met some lovely people who were also staying at the Inn who joined us for wine on the deck in the evening - it was perfect. The Inn is downtown and easy walking distance to small shops and stores. We visited a winery and enjoyed dinner at Nate's Tricky Dog in nearby Irvington. Overall, this was an amazing trip and we will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Be sure to look at the rooms online before making your request and call the Inn if you have question...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jndcen73

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My partner and I cannot say enough good things about the Kilmarnock Inn. The room rates are incredibly reasonable and include a decadent breakfast with some of the best scones we have ever had. Shawn is a perfect host. Our room was clean, well decorated, and comfortable. The staff prepared a picnic for us to take along on our sailing trip and made sure every detail was taken care of for our entire stay. Did I mention the scones?

We will go back time and again to this hidden jewel just a couple of hours from the hubbub of our normal life in DC.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a great view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zeke S
Reviewed May 31, 2014

While visiting the Northern Neck my husband and I stayed overnight in the Red Fox room (Jefferson Cottage).

The Good: We were quickly greeted by friendly staff and taken to our room. It was spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. We particularly liked the semi-private balcony.

The onsite restaurant is perfect for dinner. The dining room is quaint and attractive. The servers are pleasant and the food is good. My husband had the ribeye and I enjoyed the flat iron steak. Both cuts of meat were tender and prepared to our specifications. Sandy's homemade ice cream is a must-have for dessert.

The Not so Good: There was little to no sound barrier between our room, the one next door, and the Gathering Room downstairs. We could clearly hear neighboring guests' conversations, laughter and footsteps.

The breakfast buffet was okay. In hindsight we would have opted to order from the brunch menu.

All in all we enjoyed our stay. The Kilmarnock Inn is quaint and the staff is friendly and attentive. I see a return trip in our future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Swearingins
Reviewed May 13, 2014

After a very busy week at work I needed to get away for some rest and quiet. I wanted to take my dog since I had been away from home for 9 days. I found the Kilmarnock Inn on line and made reservations for 2 days of R& R at this pet friendly Inn.
I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the Inn is and how friendly everyone was during my visit. When I left I felt like I was leaving friends.
I had one of their 3 pet friendly rooms which was like a little cabin with a front porch that overlooked the courtyard. The room had nice amenities and was a good size with a queen size bed, desk, and lounge chair. Nice spacious bathroom with wonderful almond toiletries.
I was able to eat on the main house deck with my dog at my feet. Of course they served her water and a special treat. The meals were very good - I had the complimentary breakfasts and ate dinner there one night. The coffee, made from fresh ground Italian beans, was the best I had in years - I drank too much but it was so good. Did I mention the fresh eggs that came right from the owners chickens - OMG!
The Inn is just around the block from some wonderful stores on Main Street. Easy walking. Several interesting wineries are within a short drive from the Inn.
It seemed like I was there longer than 2 days......can't wait to go back with family.

Room Tip: You definitely want a room with a porch that looks over the courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank MBM910
Reviewed February 18, 2014

At the last minute I decided to try to get together a surprise weekend for my husband and myself....did I mention it was Valentine's Weekend?? I was lucky to book the last available room at this wonderful Inn! We were quickly escorted to our room after a day of wine tasting in the Northern Neck. We were told by some other couples staying here that dinner was sold out but we walked in and ask if we could be accomodated and were! Enjoyed a special "Valentine" dinner. Everything was delicious. The following morning (Sunday) we were treated to Brunch which was phenomenal! I inquired about moving to a room with a King bed and was told that was a good possibility since many people were checking out. We left for our second day of wine tasting and returned around 6 p.m. to find the restaurant/office closed with a note that if you needed anything to call. I called the manager Susan who told me an envelope was left under our door with the keys to the "Honeymoon" cottage, at no additional charge!! Well, I have never been upgraded so this was a real treat! The cottage was absolutely beautiful, wonderful and greatly appreciated! The following morning we were treated again to another great (included in the room price) breakfast. It wasn't a buffet but you were able to order from the menu, complete with juice and coffee. The Belgian waffles, french toast and the best thick-sliced bacon you've ever eaten was served up by our wonderful server, Tiffany.
Kilmarnock Inn is like a home-away-from home. Everyone was so friendly and warm. The rooms were comfortable and clean. When we checked out the owner, Shaun was happy to recommend some places for me to take more photos on the waterfront and provide a map to get us there! I expressed how grateful we were for our upgrade and how much we enjoyed our stay.
We are looking forward to our next trip to the Kilmarnock Inn, when the weather is warmer and everything is green. I know the courtyard will be just beautiful. There are a few vineyards we didn't make it to and some we want to revisit (Good Luck!) and we plan on bringing some friends with us to enjoy this little slice of heaven on the Northern Neck!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We've stayed here in the past (before becoming come-heres) and eaten here several times, the last of which was lunch just before Christmas. I ordered the crab cake sandwich and it rated right up there with the WORST i've ever had; this is after the waitress carried on and on about how the Kilmarnock Inn crabcakes are ALWAYS in the top 3 of customer voted delicious. Well, I beg to differ.......seriously differ. Other people at the table complained about skimpy filling in their sandwiches. There is nothing here to draw me back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank karen m
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I fell in love with this place.
We stayed at the Kilmarnock Inn in the Washington Suite. Our suite was beautiful, very clean and was filled with so many lovely details. This place has such a special vibe. My favorite spot is the backyard where you can sit on the porch swing and just enjoy this beautiful backyard and relax. We felt very comfortable and the innkeeper are so kind! And then the sunday brunch- delicious!! Try the chocolate donuts :)

Room Tip: Every room is special!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cpk1812
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmarnock
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in White Stone
The Gables
The Gables
#3 of 5 in Reedville

Been to Kilmarnock Inn? Share your experiences!