“First-class elegant resort with charm”
Review of Keswick Hall

Keswick Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Several years ago we fell in love with Keswick Hall and selected it as our wedding destination and reception. Keswick continues to be our home away from home for birthdays, anniversaries, and get-away weekends. Keswick's customer service is impeccable, The staff accommodates any request we make, and it's lovely to see the same personnel at Keswick each time we return. Each menu for dining offers wonderful selections, and the food quality is amazing. Walking around the grounds and through the Hall is relaxing and enjoyable. The resort truly has old world charm with world class service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 1FineTrip
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

We so appreciate your continued loyalty to Keswick Hall! We are truly honored to have been a part of your wedding celebration and to continue to be a part of your travel traditions. We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful weekend at Keswick Hall. The room, food and service was top notch. Loved the smell of the fires burning in the fireplace and I even got the chance to say "Hello" to another guest's English Bulldog (I have two at home)! Everyone was so warm and welcoming. I highly recommend the biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast. Cannot wait to return!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scfogarty
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you found everything about your stay to your liking and do hope that you will make plans to return again soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

It starts by driving thru nature that allows to you breathe deeply and take it all in. When you first lay eyes on the grand building, you will know that your are being rewarded for the hard-work that you will now refer to as "Status". There was never a moment that my professional title and name was not used by any staff or management, as if they've known me for years. My family enjoyed their keen sense of memorization that made for great conversations with our new friends. We were treated to private archery lessons for over an hour. The breakfast menu is extensive but quaint with respect to the selection of fresh ingredients. Full dining can be enjoyed in the main house. The Golf clubhouse had smaller dining fare that is world-class.

Room Tip: For a great deal and monetary extender, purchase your stay with the Bed & Breakfast. Get one of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MaceandMo

Thank you for your recent visit and review. Your kind comments regarding our staff are appreciated and will be shared with them. We do hope that you enjoyed your archery lesson. It is quickly becoming a favorite of our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Keswick Hall.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Shockingly amateur and unbelievably disappointing.

This review is in reference to my experience at Keswick Hall this past summer. We booked two nights in a suite for my wedding weekend. Although I have lived in NYC, LA, and Washington, DC for my entire adult life, I grew up in Charlottesville.

We checked in late on a Saturday evening following my wedding reception. The room was traditional yet well appointed and attractive. We were unpleasantly and unexpectedly awakened before 8:00 am the next morning by major demolition on the golf course which our suite overlooked. Really? At $800/night and absolutely no acknowledgment of the weekend construction plans by Reservations?

We went down by the pool for the afternoon. A staff member asked us how our stay was going. When I acknowledged the early morning disruption, he made a rude and sarcastic reply that left my husband and I looking at each other in confusion.

Later that afternoon, we decided to open a wonderful bottle of Krug that we had received as a gift and enjoy the sundown on the hotel's veranda. I entered the small bar area off of the pool area to enquire whether we were allowed to use glass stemware poolside. Two inebriated patrons, a washed up looking, middle aged woman and her drunken, baseball cap-toting boyfriend, sized me up.

My husband joined me and as we proceeded towards a side door, the woman put out her arm and said, "Nope, you need a passport to pass through."

Huh? I was in such a good headspace and still elated from my wedding that I didn't initial realize that she was making a racial slur. Let me qualify -- one half of my family arrived in the US in the 1600s and the other half from the Middle East in 1900. Clearly, she was implying that I was an "illegal immigrant" (since she was probably not well versed in World Geography, I presume she thought I was Mexican or Hispanic).

We brushed by her and I barely contained my contempt. Once I was on the terrace, I became furious over her self appointed, racist role in determining who can patronize a restaurant.

I came back to the bar to get some napkins and was immediately addressed by the same drunken couple.

The woman belted towards me, "Habla espanol?" At first, I didn't realize she was addressing me. She repeated her question in an even more comedic, poorly pronounced manner.

Every patron in the tiny bar AS WELL as the THREE Keswick Hall staff members, looked at me in uncomfortable silence.

I replied that maybe someone needs to cut off her alcohol. The bartenders, who heard the entire conversation, DID NOTHING.

After my husband berated a server for their appalling lack of proactive behavior -- ejecting the drunken couple would have been the most appropriate course of action -- we got a weak apology from the main bartender.

The next day, we related the story to the concierge, who was truly appalled and very apologetic. At some point, she told the general manager of the hotel about the previous day's activities. He called us in our room and in the most pathetic, "Ah shucks!"/Virginia good ol' boy manner, offered to buy us a round of drinks at the pool?

Really? I think I will stick with my Krug.

No follow up. No letter of apology.

I have been a Food & Beverage Director at a major NYC hotel. I have managed 5-Star restaurants. THE SERVICE STANDARDS AT THIS RELAIS & CHATEAUX PROPERTY ARE APPALLING.

Beautiful setting but if you plan on spending that sort of money on a room, head to somewhere that has professional standards.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank lwgny
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

The construction phase that was occurring last summer is now complete and the new Pete Dye course will be opening later this year. As a member of Preferred Hotels and Resorts, our goal is to provide each of our guests with exceptional service and a luxury travel experience that is unique to Charlottesville. Our staff receives ongoing training to assist them in providing that standard of service to each of our guests.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Really good venue for a wedding, sadly let down by aggressivley commercial approach to pretty much everything. If the quality really was 5 star then it may be justifiable - but it doesn't get there.

Rooms and food are both good. Service is OK if it suits their "standard package". But it is run as a "wedding factory" to suit the hotel staff, so just don't ask for and don't expect anything extra without extra $$$s.

Probably very nice for a quiet break. But for a big event If you don't expect much, have low standards and a big check book it will suit you very well.

Room Tip: Ask for a West facing room overlooking the Golf course.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SPH517

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience in November. We sincerely regret that you felt there were shortcomings in your experience but hope that you will consider returning for a getaway weekend to enjoy our newly refurbished rooms, dining in Fossett's and the resort's many complimentary amenities, services and activities.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I have visited Charlottesville on a number of occasions, but was not previously aware of Keswick Hall. My daughter and I were going on a college road trip and needed a place to stay for a night between our visits to UVA and William & Mary. So, we looked on the Leading Hotels website and found Keswick Hall.

We arrived hours before check in. We walked into one of the prettiest reception areas I have seen with a roaring fire in the beautiful fire place.

Even though early, they checked us in, told us we had been upgraded, and after a brief wait, showed us to two beautiful rooms. They were different from each other, one had a four poster bed with an amazing canopy and a cozy sitting area. One had a large king bed and a beautiful armoire. Both rooms had very tall ceilings, were spacious and comfortable, and had very large terraces.

We are dinner and breakfast in the hotel and both were very good. The service was efficient and friendly.

The only real complaint I have is about the TVs and the lack of on demand movies. The TVs were too small and there was no entertainment system. Honestly, I thought all luxury hotels that had on demand systems now.

But I will without a doubt return to this beautiful country hotel. I only hope my daughter gets into UVA so I can return to Keswick Hall on a regular basis.

Stayed: February 2014
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you discovered Keswick Hall and hope that you will return again soon as a new UVA parent.
We do apologize, however, for your disappointment with our televisions. Our rooms at Keswick Hall are currently being refreshed and a part of that upgrade is the installation of 44-inch televisions to replace the existing 32-inch models. Each room is equipped with a DVD player and a large library of DVD's is available at the concierge desk but we do appreciate your feedback on the availability of on demand movies as we continue to look for ways to improve the in-room experience for our guests.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Lovely hotel and exquisite location in Virginia hunt country. Friendly staff, comfortable accommodations and very good restaurant. Authentic experience in that there were definitely some quirks, mainly that there was no closet in our room, just a giant armoire. The floor must have been slightly sloping as I had use a folded up piece of paper as a wedge to keep the door closed, also every time I opened the armoire door, the door of the safe inside would fly open. For the active there is a beautiful outdoor pool and in a separate building is a nice workout facility.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank HarryandHermione
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for your review and for making us aware of the issue with the armoire in your room so that the armoire can be repaired. You will be pleased to know that all of our guest rooms are currently being refreshed and many of the rooms with armoires, though not all, are having closets added. We hope that you will visit again and please be sure to mention your preference for a room with a closet.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
Clifton Inn
Clifton Inn
#23 of 35 in Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
#5 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
Comfort Inn Monticello
Comfort Inn Monticello
#22 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
200 South Street Inn
#11 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Keswick Hall? Share your experiences!