“More like a 3.5 -- Lovely place but just too many service glitches.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Keswick Hall

Keswick Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
Washington DC
“More like a 3.5 -- Lovely place but just too many service glitches.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My DH and I just returned from 4 nights at Keswick Hall. We were celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary. This review is not meant to discourage anyone from staying here - it's a lovely place but the service fell far, far below what one expects from an orient express property. First the good:

1) the place is simply gorgeous - the interiors and the exteriors both. The decor is the real highlight with fine antiques and an enviable collection of art and sculpture. You can tell it was decorated by a person with exquisite taste, not by a corporate hotel decorator. The landscaping and abundance of flowers was enchanting.

2) our room - Room 4, a deluxe balcony room, was large and comfortable and elegantly appointed. The bathroom was large, albeit slightly in need of an upgrade - ie., could use a frameless shower door and marble flooring. The tub was huge and inviting. But the real show stopper was the balcony - it was huge! It had a couch and table and chairs and 2 chaises and still there was enough room to throw a small dinner party! it was a real highlight and we spent a great deal of time outside (until Saturday - more on that later). They had a bottle of Cava waiting for us for our anniversary, which was nice.

3) the food - excellent - really outstanding. I'm still dreaming about the butter poached flounder at fossets.

4) the horizon pool - lovely and relaxing and blissfully child-free. Only one lone girl to take care of all the guests, which is nuts. But she worked very hard.

Now the not so good:

1) on check in - wow. like we were invisible. There was one valet helping another couple and he didn't even acknowledge us. No one else was there to assist other than him so after waiting a fair bit we just got our own luggage and walked in. Finally they valet parked our car. Then, upon check in we were not told anything about the property or offered any information or maps or orientation or anything - it was just, "here's your key, your room is down the hall" and then we took our own luggage down the hall.

2) Spa - on day two of our stay, while off property touring Monitcello, I got a frantic voicemail from the spa that they had no record of us having checked in to the hotel and did we want to cancel our spa reservations that we had for the next day. So i had to leave the tour and call them back and say yes we checked in and yes we were going to want the appointments we booked. the right hand of Keswick does not know what the left hand is doing. As for the spa treatments, they were adequate if uninspired. Be aware - the spa here is really an after thought. It's like they tacked on a few treatment rooms so they could call themselves a spa. It's not a full service spa. In fact - it's not it's own structure and shares space with the club house. So you will be forced to walk around in your robe around fully dressed golfers and ladies playing cannasta. The relaxation room was unkempt and not stocked -empty tea pots and no regular cleanup. Disappointing. But the worst - was the fact that, since my husband was having a treatment on the first floor, they didn't want to bother to have him wait in the relaxation room for his treatment (it's on the second floor) so they made him wait for his treatment by the kid's pool! There was nowhere to sit, the sun was glaring, he was surrounded by screaming kids and, he was naked except for the spa robe! unreal. He finally rebelled and came up to the relaxation room.

3) general service issues: one night we asked where the board games were. The man at the front desk said "four doors down and in a cabinet" - after searching we had to ask him to come show us - they were in the snooker room in a cabinet that you couldn't' open without a butter knife inserted and yanked. Really? you thought we'd be able to find them? you couldn't have walked us down and assisted without being asked twice? Bar service was equally spotty. One afternoon my husband ordered me a Daiquiri - what was delivered to me was a martini! I complained and was brought another drink - not a daiquiri. The next day the bartender told us "i make a great daiquiri but you ordered it on a day when i was swamped making drinks for other people so i just couldn't do it. Want one now?" Really??? Isn't "making drinks for other people" your job? Aren't we "other people"? Wow.

4) The tent - so, i've stated earlier how much we enjoyed the deck on our room. Now, bare in mind, on the weekend our room rate went up from $425 to $700. however, on friday we awoke to find them building a HUGE tent right in front of our balcony totally blocking our view! the tent was for a wedding the next night. I was floored that they wouldn't have even given us a head's up that the next 2 nights we would not be able to have a view from our balcony - sitting on the chaises all you saw was plastic! just poor, poor customer service.

5) by and large the room service staff was great - Olivia in particular - she was great. But the last day OIivia was off and the lady who brought our breakfast dropped my toast on the floor, didn't have cloches on the food, didn't have a pen for us to sign the check and told us to find one, and didn't get the order right or complete. I don't blame here - she seemed to lack the training necessary to do her job well.

6) hallway noise - it's a problem if your room is on the first floor. I suggest that keswick adopt the practice of the Greenbrier and have a sign reminding guests that quiet is required when walking the halls at 2:00 in the morning. This is especially a problem on nights when they host a wedding.

So there you have it - if you have the right level of expectation set, you'll enjoy your stay, but it's not the orient express or relais and Chateaux level of experience you're used to.

Room Tip: Deluxe Balcony room 4 is lovely - but make sure no wedding tents are expected during your stay!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
8 Thank IvyMarie
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your review and for cooresponding with our General Manager. We look forward to having you back with us at Keswick Hall soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I visited Keswick this past weekend with girlfriends of 38 years. We had heard so many wonderful things about Keswick and were looking forward to our stay. The property itself is lovely; however, we were sorely disappointed in the customer service with the exception of a bellman and a waiter who were the only ones who acted like they cared.
The Spa was outdated; very unkept; dirty towels and robes laying around. The room where I received my service also appeared unkept (however the service was very good). Dirty glasses were left in our room which we had to ask to be taken away. We were charged $50 for a rollaway bed which should have been complimentary. Overall, it was very disappointing experience. This place has the potential to be top notch, if they can get some lessons in customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rexbaby
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your review and for making you aware of your disppointments in your recent stay. We have sent you a direct message and hope to have the opportunity to speak with you soon.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently while celebrating our anniversary. The service was professional and friendly and the accommodations were beautiful. We were only able to stay one night, but wished we could have stayed longer. We had a casual dinner in Fossett's Bar, and a wonderful breakfast the next morning in Fossett's Restaurant. Since our time was so short we did not take advantage of all the amenities avaiable to us, but hope to do so in the future. At check-in the subject of our anniversary came up, and we were surprised to see a hand-written card and bottle of sparkling wine in our room that evening. How nice. I highly recommend Keswick Hall for a romantic getaway.

1 Thank travelmom42
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your review and for choosing Keswick Hall for your anniversary celebration.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I love this place. I was on a tough trip and decided to treat myself to a nice stay at the end of it. I was so happy with the stay, but now I'm unfortunately spoiled for all other resorts!

Each member of the staff was beyond excellent. I stayed during a terrible heat wave, and the bellhop made sure I had several bottles of water for the 2+ hour drive home. The grounds were stunning, and I thoroughly enjoyed throwing open my balcony doors in the morning to enjoy the views. Monticello is beautiful as it is, but the golf course was in perfect harmony with the surrounding landscape.

The food was also amazing. I got a package that included appetizers when I arrived, which were all fabulous and perfectly portioned. I also decided that I needed a steak from room service, and the filet was cooked perfectly. The next morning my breakfast was perfect, and was served with an orchid flower, which was a very nice touch.

My only regret was that my husband wasn't there to enjoy the golf course, but believe me, we'll be back to check it out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank A B
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope that you and your husband will visit with us once the golf course redesign by the legendary Pete Dye has been completed. The renovation is scheduled for completion in spring of 2014 and promises to be even more beautiful and enjoyable than the beloved original Keswick Club golf course. We look forward to having you play the course!
Northern New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a beautiful small hotel that knows exactly how to please guests. Our corner balcony room was spacious, nicely furnished and very comfortable. The food at Fossett's - 1 breakfast and 2 dinners - was outstanding. Very friendly, yet professional staff from the bellboy, to reception, to the waiters and bartenders. Everyone was eager to please and couldn't do enough for us. The pool area was lovely even with the golf course reconstruction going on. This place is a gem of understated elegance that I would love to visit again.

Room Tip: I would recommend a balcony room. Ours (room 9) was spacious and well appointed.
1 Thank susieQ49
Thank you for your review and we hope that you will return again soon.
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great place to stay -- luxury, attentive staff and relaxation. Fossett's is outstanding for breakfast and dinner. Don't miss this getaway as an anniversary trip. Lisa Decker at the front desk is outstanding.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T4travels
Thank you for your review!
Hackensack, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went to Keswick Hall to attend a wedding for the weekend. It is a very pricey property, but for that price you get luxury, pampering, classic grace and beauty and so much more. It does not feel like a resort, but more like a big, warm Tuscan Villa complete with gardens, pools (what lovely pools), golf (the course is being redone but when it is finished it should be magnificent), activities such as archery, tennis, arranged tours, croquet and lots of history, not just because it is near Monticello, but the building itself has a storied past.. Just elegance beyond elegance. We were lucky to get a deluxe room with a balcony that overlooked the front entrance, and the view is fabulous. The staff did everything they could to make us feel welcome and comfortable as guests and as members of the wedding group. The wedding planner, Adam is simply an angel. He kept things on time, moving forward and appear effortless, when we actually knew how much effort it was. Yes it is quite expensive, but having had the opportunity to have this experience I would recommend Keswick Hall as a super special event destination. They even made arrangements for our party to have a special activity of walking with the hunt hound dogs for their daily am exercise, which made a super memorable weekend, that much more memorable. GO GO GO If you can. I loved it and hope to one day be able to visit again. And talk about picturesque..... evening wedding outside in the garden, mountains in the background, it is just terrific.

Room Tip: It appears that no 2 rooms are the same. Some have claw foot tubs and some have jacuzzi tubs with g...
    • 5 of 5 stars
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that a wedding celebration brought you to Keswick and we look forward to your return. Thank you for also recognizing our Wedding Specialist, Adam.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
Clifton Inn
Omni Charlottesville
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
4.5 of 5 stars 1,455 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#8 of 35 in Charlottesville
4.5 of 5 stars 774 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
Graduate Charlottesville
Graduate Charlottesville
#14 of 35 in Charlottesville
4.0 of 5 stars 188 reviews

Been to Keswick Hall? Share your experiences!