“Second time, bumpy time”
Review of Keswick Hall

Keswick Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A return visit to a property that has changed hands over the last 5-10 years, several times. Last trip was 2008, we had really good memories. The setting is gorgeous, the manor house really is beautiful, especially the older section, with period appointments & lovely tiled floors.

We arrived without a reservation. Front desk was unable to offer a package that they have been promoting, we had received an email, a postcard & it was on the website. But even tho the dates were right, we could not have that rate or the amenities that came with it. We took a room with a balcony for $650 a night.

The view of the countryside & golf course is spectacular. The room, which we were paying a premium for, was nice but it is showing its wear & tear. It is not of the caliber of $650, and I know what I am talking about, as I frequently pay this rate at other hotels. The beige carpet was dirty with traffic pattern dirt. Junky plastic chaise on balcony. The elaborate fabric drape, over the headboard, was thick with dust & hair. Tiles were cracked in the bathroom. But the most disturbing thing was the following morning, as I was dressing, I stepped on a piece of glass that was embedded in said dirty carpet & cut my bare foot. The wound was deep & bled freely.

I presented the chunk of glass to front desk on our way to breakfast. At this point they could not do enough for us & the staff really was nice. But with a cut foot, they should be, this should not have happened at all. They took $100 off, our overpriced room & offered to buy us breakfast.
Since we were on our way to Charleston, S,C for a walking tour of this historic town, this greatly impacted my ability to walk & enjoy the rest of our vacation. Handing me an envelope with band-aids & antibiotic cream at check out, was a nice thought but.....

Room Tip: Room 2 has a great view but is showing wear & tear
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wilhelmenia
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for taking time to speak further with our General Manager regarding your recent stay.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at Keswick Hall mid February and will make a point of returning this summer with my son. We had an unforgettable experience at this historic hotel---the service was personal and the ambiance was uniquely elegant but cozy. One has the feeling of staying at an English Manor House rather than a hotel. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the bathrooms are luxurious. I would rank this gem of a hotel as one of he best in the US. Come here if you want a great escape from the 4 or 5 star hotel chains. I slept better at Keswick Hall than I do at home!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PikakeM62
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for the many kind words and the lovely descriptions of the resort. We look forward to your return this summer for your son's first visit.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We came up mid week just to relax. No plans. No agenda. So Keswick was perfect for that. I could see that you might find this place a little boring (especially mid-week in February) as the place was pretty empty and there wasn't a lot to do. But for us, it was perfect: long walks along the golf course, reading in front of the fire, enjoying the indoor pool, hot tub and steam room and, of course, the awesome food.
The staff is crazy nice and the attention to detail is outstanding.
My only complains would be 1) our room was hotter than the surface of the sun. Nothing we did would cool it down. We even slept with the windows open. 2) I didn't sleep well at all. I couldn't figure it out. The bed was comfy. The room was quiet. I don't know.

I'm looking forward to coming back in the high season...if I can afford it!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank for your review and mid-winter getaway. We are glad that you had a relaxing visit but do hope that you will visit, as mentioned, again in the spring, summer or fall when all of our resort activities are in full swing. We do apologize, however, for the heating issues that you experienced in your room. This is unusual to hear and we sincerely regret that it caused you to have less than a great night's sleep.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

uniquely decorated, spacious rooms with wonderful views of the grounds and huge soaking tubs. The restaurants on site were quite nice, very good food and excellent service. It's the little things that count, like extra tea in the morning for all guests, tasty unique bar snacks when you're enjoying a drink before dinner. A favorite snack was the truffle oil, parmesan popcorn...the waitstaff just kept it coming and we just kept ordering drinks! We'd return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: get a deal from an online site and spend the savings on a fabulous meal there. The staff there reall...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foodwise

Thank you for your review and for recognizing the small details that mean so much to us here at Keswick Hall. We were particularly pleased that the popcorn in Fossett's Bar was a favorite for you as it's one of ours too! We hope that you will return again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed two nights at Keswick Hall in Mid February, 2013, for our anniversary. It was fantastic, and I believe we may have smiled the entire time we were there, beginning to end! The resort is spectacular, the grounds are amazing and the furnishings are a wonderful mix of antiques, beautiful fabrics and unique prints and paintings. The food was excellent, as was the service. Now that we are back home our only regret is we didn't stay longer. There is so much to do in that area and so much to do at the resort that we will have to return, and I can't wait.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for choosing Keswick Hall at Monticello for your anniversary celebration. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and do hope that you will return again soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed at Keswick Hall for one night on a swing through Virginia. I wanted to visit Monticello and found this small luxury hotel.

The building was built in 1912 as a personal home. It's been added to and expanded to about 50 rooms. It's old and quaint. There are numerous wood burning fireplaces and sitting areas. The rooms, while small are very comfortable with great beds.

I had breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the golf course. The food and service were outstanding.

Everywhere we went on the grounds were were addressed by name and the staff could not have been better. This is a first rate small luxury hotel and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank musikmanSherwood_Wi
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I had a great stay at the Keswick for my birthday. The most outstanding aspect was the impeccable service. Everyone we met was friendly, professional and they went out of their way to be helpful. They had a special treat in our room because they knew it was my birthday. The bartender at the pub was great. Fossets was outstanding as well - food and service. We enjoyed breakfast and dinner there.

One bit of caution - this is a dog friendly hotel. This is great, except when the dog owners aren't conscientious. One couple had their large (friendly) year old labradoodle running around the Villa Crawford dining area while others were trying to eat. I can't blame this on the staff, but it was something we found peculiar.

The golf course was beautiful (we didn't play as it was winter.) The gym is great - this hotel is connected with a country club, so the guests get to enjoy the amenities of the club, which makes this hotel stand apart from other hotel experiences. There are even bikes for touring the area. We will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 (featured in a movie filmed about 30 years ago). It was very comfortable with a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
Clifton Inn
Comfort Inn Monticello
Comfort Inn Monticello
#22 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
200 South Street Inn
#11 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Keswick Hall? Share your experiences!