“Beaucolic Anniversary Weekend at Keswick!”
Review of Keswick Hall

Keswick Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our Anniversary this past weekend at Keswick Hall... first time away without the children in years! Upon arrival, we were greeted by a helpful young bellboy who immediately took care of our luggage and car. Our room was ready, overlooking the golf course, as requested! It was clean, cool and comfortable. In comparison to a stay at The Homestead a few years back, Keswick appeared to be better maintained. Everyone was pleasant and service was very good... in some instances excellent, in a few, just okay. Our drinks and appetizers outside at Fossett's bar were relaxing and afforded a beautiful view of the area. A late dinner at the Palmer House on our first evening was very good as well.
The Horizon pool was spectacular! Relaxing, quiet and with a few extra touches such as the chilled water coolers infused with lemon, cucumber and mint and sunscreen available at shaded tables by the pool.
Dinner at Fossett's was fantastic! Our waittress, Mary was pleasant, knowledgeable about the menu (which had just changed that day), and attentive. The crabcake appetizers were wonderful, as were our bison and lamb entrees. A "Happy Anniversary" drizzled in chocolate on our dessert plate along with complementary champagne were unexpected treats!

Three areas that didn't meet our expectations: First, we returned from our pleasant couples' massage hoping to enjoy afternoon tea at Villa Crawford (which we heard was very good) on Sat. Tea is served from 3:00 to 5:00. We arrived at 3:50 and waited outside the room for about 10 minutes before anyone came out to greet us. The two service women clearing tea cups walked right past us. When I inquired if tea was available, she pointed out the second attendant and said she was not sure, I would have to ask her. When asking the second, she said that she could offer us tea but couldn't guarantee sandwiches as it had been a busy afternoon. Perhaps we could return the next day (we could NOT)? This was disappointing as we had a late dinner reservation and had intended this touted tea to be our late lunch. If tea is advertised for a 2 hr. window, one would think that there would be enough food and pastries to last more than one hour?! Our second note, the mattress in our room was very hard... even for my husband who likes a firm mattress. Last, the room rates are very high. It would be nice to return again if there is a decent package, but, over $450/per night for a standard room is pricey for the average couple. Hopefully there will be specials offered to encourage repeat visitors. We truly enjoyed our stay and would love to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the train tracks as possible (if you are a light sleeper).
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for choosing Keswick for your anniversary celebration and for posting a review. We do apologize for the issues that you encountered at afternoon tea and also the firmness of the mattress in your room. We will certainly address both of those issues right away.
We look forward to providing our past guests with future value offers. Please watch for our winter holiday offer coming soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We loved this resort, I went with my family and 3 friends for a weekend getaway and we had a great time. The staff was incredible friendly and as soon as we got there they greeted us at the door and provided us with all the details about our rooms. The food is pretty incredible and the services superb. During our stay, the front desk made everything super easy and was very helpful in arranging our activities in and outside the resort (thank you Roberto); Duane will always greet us with a smile, get the doors, ask where we were going, and was just extremely friendly (thank you fixing my son’s bicycle sit). The rest of the front desk staff was very gracious and very attentive to our needs.

Our rooms were gorgeous and large with a supper comfortable bed, an oversize tub and our balcony had a great view to the golf course. The resort was clean and the grounds were maintained immaculately. After our activities we were immediately greeted and offered bottle water or had the choice to complimentary lemonade.

Would I stay here again? Yes, yes and yes! The Keswisk knows how to treat their guess; I just wish we had more time to do all the fun stuff they have at this place and the historic places nearby.

I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star resorts around the world and this was one of my best experiences by far.

Until next time Keswick Hall.

Pablo B.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PTrotamundo
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We recently spent several days at Keswick Hall, having won a Luxury link auction for the stay.
We enjoyed the stay very much, and although there were a few minor disconnects we thought
the experience was positive. We had bid on a Deluxe Room, and on arrival found that we had been upgraded to a suite. The room was spacious, had good views and was well appointed.
We chose to dine at Fossett's Restaurant our first night, and enjoyed a great meal. We were
particularly pleased at the hostess assuring our table location on the large windows overlooking
the golf course. As we watched a full moon rise we could not have asked for a lovelier setting.
Our package included breakfast, in this case juice, coffee and an entree choice from a varied
selection. We both enjoyed the two breakfasts, except our preference for hotter coffee. The
service was quite good. We used the fitness center, which had a good selection of exercise
equipment, and enjoyed being able to walk along the interior roadways along the golf course
and the residences in the estate. It appears the property has a long and interesting history,
but now is obviously a major corporation-run multipurpose enterprise. Having experienced
this type development in Florida and elsewhere, we felt Keswick Hall was definitely a cut
above. It is not cheap, but the overall estate beauty and professional approach justified the
cost for us. It appears that as many resorts tend to do, a cadre of younger staff are given a
good bit of latitude and responsibility. This was not troublesome, but did lead to a few times
when the communications were not quite as clear as needed. Example- bridge out on a road
leading to the Hall, but instructions provided for access were not current or clear.
If asked if we would go back, we'd say yes. The area is beautiful, the Hall a nice, older site
which is being well maintained, and an excellent restaurant offers a very good menu and
extensive wine list. For a Charlottesville visit, Monticello, local wineries and great back road
vistas it would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for your review. We do apologize for any inconvenience that the recent work by the state on the Shadwell Bridge may have caused. We are delighted to report that the work is now complete!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I just returned from a weekend trip to Keswick Hall. I was not impressed at all. To begin with, the room service is far from what you would expect. For example, you do not receive salt and pepper with your order. At breakfast, most hotels give you jelly or jam when you order toast. Not this place. Yesterday morning when I called to order breakfast, I asked what kind of muffins they had, and I was told that they had blueberry muffins. I ordered one, and when my order arrived I received two blackberry muffins and one raspberry muffin. I am allergic to both of those berries. When I called to express my dismay, the woman who took my order had no explanation at all. When I told her I was allergic to blackberries and raspberries, there was no apology for sending me something I didn't order.
It was not just room service that disappointed me. What five star resort does not give their guests plastic bags to put their dirty laundry in? Keswick Hall. I could go on, but you get the picture. This resort in not worth the high price they charge. I've stayed at five star resorts, and trust me, this is not one of them. Don't expect to be pampered.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LutheranGirl
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you for also reaching out to our General Manager directly so that he can address your concerns right away. Our most sincere apologies for the issues you encountered.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I dream of going back to Keswick Hall for another getaway and can not believe it has been 3 years since I have been. It is everything I want out of a special getaway. Comfortable, detail oriented, with an incredible staff! I needed some time and to just relax--the spa was wonderful with professional and personable attendants. The room was gorgeous as was the HUGE bathroom. I enjoyed drinks and food in the bar and thouroughly enjoyed my high tea in front of the fire place with both tea and champagne. Since I visited there is a new chef at Fossetts so I will be happy to try the food again. 3 years ago I was disappointed with the food but the new reviews so promising.

Room Tip: I loved the room service breakfast which was included in the package I made for myself. However the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for your review and for your return to Keswick Hall. We hope that it won't be quite so long before your next visit. A special thank you for noting the arrival of Chef Aaron Cross to Fossett's!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights last week on a business trip, had a massage treatment, had some drinks and a light lunch, as well as a private dinner. I was happy overall, but did have some issues. The room wasn't ready when I was to check in, they were to call me, but they didn't. I had an awesome room, but found out the next morning while I was leaving for the business meeting, that they were going to have to move me to another room. They had to move my stuff for me while I was gone. The drink orders at the bar weren't correct and the prices were horrible for wine. $19 for a glass of california wine? $15 for another? The $7 drafts for local beer was fine. I asked 3 times with 3 different people to update and correct my bar tab, but it never got done. The food was fantastic though. I would never spend this money to stay at a place like this. I will give them credit, they did have a bottle of wine and some cheese in my room with an apology about the room change.

Room Tip: first room was a corner overlooking the croquette and golf course. the 2nd room over looked the par...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for your review. Please again accept our apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced due to the room move. Thank you also for your feedback on your experience in the bar.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have stayed here twice in the past year. It is a very good inn, and we had a good time. The grounds are beautiful, the food excellent and the service attentive. However, in order to be considered a truly great hotel, it needs to pay greater attention to the details, and to those touches that distinguish the elite properties. For example: Promptly picking up empty plastic drink cups around the swimming pool, so the area doesn't look trashed out. Making sure the menu items truly reflect the food that is delivered to your table (we ordered the charcuterie and cheese plate, but got it with no cheese; the BLT with aoli came sans aoli). Turn down service should not come around at 10:30, when you are already in bed. Again, this is a very nice place. But given their prices, correcting these small but noticiable lapses should be a priority. We will see if they improve.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jack44_12
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

We apologize that you experienced these lapses in service and inconsistencies with our menu listings. Thank you for making us aware of these issues and please be assured that we will address them right away. We appreciate your recent visits and hope that you will visit again so that we might reestablish your approval.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
Clifton Inn
Clifton Inn
#23 of 35 in Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
#5 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
Comfort Inn Monticello
Comfort Inn Monticello
#22 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
200 South Street Inn
#11 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Keswick Hall? Share your experiences!