“Afternoon Tea at the Villa Crawford in Keswick Hall”
Review of Villa Crawford

Villa Crawford
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Keswick
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is our favorite restaurant for delicious, romantic lunches in Charlottesville, in a stunning location at Keswick Hall.
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I wouldn't have believed it -- but I lived it. Went to the afternoon tea at Keswick Hall expecting the kind of great service we've had at the buffet lunch (which is served only during weekdays/
The waitress was obviously new or untrained (but very sweet and timid). She first forgot the sparkling wine that came with the larger menu, then we had to ask for the truffles that are supposed to come with the bubbly.

The worse part was that we were served in the billard's room (except it had a pool table)--which is nice,,,,BUT some jerk came in barefooted, in a semi-wet bathing suit and started playing. Several times he had his Butt in my face as he tried to line up his shot. He made so much noise that we couldn't wait to pay and get the heck out of there.

I spoke with the manager about the pool table noise and the moron that made our experience very unpleasant---he agreed that they would put a sign on the table to keep players away when food or drink is being served in there. I still won't go there again,,,I recommend Miss Minerva's for tea in Culpeper Virginia--a much better value for the visit and no pool table!!

1  Thank Donald D

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Yes, the food is exceptional (they got their chef from Clifton Inn), and the service is excellent, but ask ahead as to what other groups will be adjacent to your private dinner in one of their banquet rooms. We were next to an insurance convention, and would be sharing our cocktail hour patio overlooking the mountains with their insurance guests. We booked another venue.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Keswick is such an elegant experience and the Spring day made it all the better. Beautiful entrance, gardener was pleasant and talkative about the plants. The view was fantastic; up close and distant. Extremely well kept inside and out. The lunch was delicious and so pleasant. They could have skid by on the atmosphere, but didn't and provided a great tasting brunch and experience. Our friend was delighted as it was for an appreciation of her friendship. We ate outside. This was our first time and we'll go back again.
I would recommend it for a grand experience.

1  Thank ShenVal04
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I am baffled by the poor reviews for this place. Every time my family comes to Keswick Halll, we make a point to schedule the trip on a day when the lunch is served in Villa Crawford. It is outstanding, sometimes better than dinner at Fossett's.

Today we had lunch there, and the chef served a fantastic carrot and ginger soup along with a tasty salad. The main course items consisted of a luscious chicken and beurre blanc sauce, vegetable casserole, and perfectly spiced potatoes. There were also many tasty cold items, including an orzo salad, smoked salmon, cucumber salad, and the best garbanzo bean salad I have ever tasted with just a hint of curry. There were many other items, including delicious dessert items, such as a autumn spiced cheesecake (of which I had to have 3 small slices), bread pudding, chocolate cake, creme brûlée and some others.

I am a true foodie with high standards for great food, and this place has it.

1  Thank JaimeSommers
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I would say this is one of the ten best restaurant settings in Virginia. However, everything about the food and service and wine is just slightly better than a number of restaurants in nearby Charlottesville, but the prices are way higher. Waitstaff was Inexperienced but earnest and polite, and most spoke English passably. $600/dinner for four.

It's pleasant and definitely worth trying once, but but I would rather try somewhere new than return here.