“Good food - staff not so much” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fossett's

Fossett's
Reserve with OpenTable
Fossett's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Maryland
“Good food - staff not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Had brunch on Sunday and breakfast Monday. We arrived at 12:30 and there was no host for quite a long time for brunch. No host for Monday breakfast at all. Sunday we were a party of four and were put in a corner with 4 chairs that were apparently for overflow and not the nice comfortable ones at most tables.
There were at least 12-15 4 top tables set up for 2 which looked odd to me. I asked if they were reserved and was told yes. An hour and a half later maybe one or two were filled. Come to find out they set them up for tea reservations at 4pm and would not release them for brunch. Weird.
Anyway, not sure if the restaurant is the same ownership as the hotel, but they are different worlds. The staff in the restaurant are just not up to par on every level. They need to be way more attentive, capable, smarter, and in real need of training.
Food was really good, so of course the rest is up to the staff. Unfortunately we had 2 very poorly experienced waiters.
Hotel is great by the way, and the staff there are awesome.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Chesapeake, VA
“Another great anniversary dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We celebrated our 12th anniversary at Fossett's and were extremely impressed with every aspect of the meal. 13 years later, we are back celebrating our 25th anniversary at one of our favorite restaraunts and we're just as impressed as the first time. The call you by name when you walk up and throughout the entire evening. Every course of our meal was fantastic. From the bartender's special drink, to our dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate. I'm not sure why others have had a problem with the service here, but every meal we've had at Keswick Hall has been great. We're finally having the pleasure of staying here, and our breakfast we equally wonderful. It's not the cheapest place in town, but well worth the expense.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“All show but no substance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

When you arrive at Keswick Hotel ( Fossetts is the restaurant in the hotel)you are greeted by a beautiful Italian renaissance building which is very inviting. It is all down hill from that point. We had the Thanksgiving buffet . Upon arrival we waited 10 minutes before the host came to greet us and that was only after numerous requests to the waiters as they passed bye,No one knew where she was.It was half empty but we were put at a table next to the kitchen. At no time did anyone say one word.or point out anything about the buffet.
The selection was one step above the local fast food buffets but at a cost of $65 per person. After our initial seating no one came to the table except to indicate that it was time to finish up and poured us coffee.It was cold. When we told her we were not done ( still drinking our wine) she seemed confused and poured coffee any way.She obviously had difficulty with English being from another country.
The desserts looked tired and when my wife asked for whipped cream they brought out cool whip. We finished up quickly under pressure.
When the bill came there was an error which the manager said he would fix but when I arrived home I realized that I was charged the incorrect amount.
The final insult occurred as we were leaving when I saw a separate room which had a large portion of the buffet and which was hidden away.It was almost untouched. It would have been nice if some one had pointed it out before we sat down rather than have us scout rooms to find a large portion of the buffet resulting in us missing this portion.
During our stay in Charlotesville we had some good meals.The Ivy Inn being one.
I warn you. Do not go to the buffet under any circumstances.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“amazing dining experiencw”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

the waiter and staff did everything to make us feel like we were the only ones in the restaurant. Great fireplace view. Amazing food.

Visited November 2013
WashingtonDC
“great cocktail menu at the bar, and beautiful view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My partner and I went to Fossett's Restaurant Bar two nights in a row while we were staying at Keswick Hall, and overall I felt it had really good cocktail creations with solid liquor choices,w ith a great breakfast!

I will say that I rarely give bars five stars because serving drinks is done so many times, it is hard to do something that stands out. But Fossett's had a much larger cocktail selection than I would have assumed for being rather small. My style is more to try inventive cocktails, and Fossett's certainly has plenty of them. One of the cocktails I had came with an orange blossom ice cube. The drink was gorgeous, and they actually put an edible orange blossom on the top of the huge ice cube and then it melts while you drink it. Very different and very unique. My partner is more of a scotch drinker, and there were many selections they had. So even if you're not a cocktail person, there's plenty of straight liquor.

The bar itself is very cozy, though small, as Keswick isn't a very large hotel, I guess they figure they don't need a very large bar, either. Also, the overlook from the patio is right over the golf course, so while we were there during nighttime and could not really see the view, all the stars were there and it would be a good place to go for a pre-dinner drink for the view.

We also went to breakfast there, and the view is amazing in the morning. I had the biscuits and gravy, which was absolutely great and something I'd definitely recommend ordering.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Fossett's Bar for the great drink menu and the view.