“VERY DISAPPOINTED”
Review of The Tides Inn

The Tides Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We are native Virginians, retired, and had never been to the Tides before this weekend. Have heard good things about it for years. We were on an exploratory trip of the area and decided to have lunch at the Tides. The views are spectacular, no doubt, and the outside restaurant / deck area is lovely.
The food was average at best (crab soup was watery & had about a teaspoon of shredded crab in it; there was a piece of shell in the fried oysters) and pricey compared to other comparable places we have visited. Waitress never did bring mayo we asked for and did not offer us or the table next to us any bread / cornbread with the soup although it was listed on the menu.
I was surprised at the poor level of the service, especially at the concierge desk and the "reception" desk. Both ladies we spoke to did not offer much information and I felt like I was bothering them or as if I should already know, for example, if there is a pool on the property or jacuzzi tubs in the rooms. The 'reception" / registration desk actually told me I should look on the internet for room rates when I was standing right in front of her. She never did ask if we were interested in a room for that night
The Tides does not deserve to be described as a luxury venue.
Overall, a very disappointing experience and we will not go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank treatti
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

We have to accept your comment on the she crab soup. It should be thick creamy and decadent. Your observation on the day was correct and we had to remake the soup for the rest of the day. Of course I would love you to try the correct product so if you were to make yourself known to me you would be welcome back as my guest for lunch.
Gordon Slatford
The Chef sends his apologies.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The "Tides" is one of a kind. It is not alone in that accolade, as there are many one of a kind resorts, and this certainly ranks as high as any in that category. The setting gets you off to a good start, and then the food and amenities. The view is one we never tire of and feel so fortunate to be able to enjoy on a regular basis. Staff is friendly and makes you feel like family. Their genial and talkative leader, Gordon Slatford, has set the standard for that. He oozes enthusiasm.
Try it, you'll like it!

Room Tip: Either east or west you have a view of the sunrise or sunset, so can't go wrong, but the east is...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Herb A

Thank you for your review. Enthusiasm is contagious and we like to think it infects all our team

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family visited for a few days in the fall. The property is showing its age -- wallpaper peeling in the halls, loose shutters in the room, amateur patch job on the window sill, and cracked sink at the vanity. The cleanliness of the room was mostly good, but we did notice finger and nose prints on the window (assuming a young guest stayed in the room before us). We also found several bugs actively flittering around the room.

The room was nicely furnished although I have stayed in chain hotels (non-luxury resort) with better and more comfortable furnishings for about half the price of what we paid for our stay at the Tides Inn. Also, the room was very small.

Our first full day there, we had no hot water in the room, and the air temperature in the room was 80*.

Our biggest disappointment came from the leadership of the establishment. Each day, I inadvertently witnessed staff meetings and heard the ins-and-outs of their business. I felt uncomfortable as a guest hearing any of it and know that a resort of this size must have a better, more private, place to hold staff meetings. What I saw and heard was unprofessional.

Also, on our final day, we had difficulty maneuvering through the hall between the gift shop and dining room. There was an event there later that day, and the staff was not showing that they were well-prepared to handle something seemingly out of the ordinary. A man-in-charge stood directly in the middle causing guests to go around him. He was directing a young woman in hanging an advertisement on a wall and speaking to her in a manner that in no way showed that he had any experience with luxury. I was appalled at his lack of couth both in speech and manner.

We ate in the dining room each day. The food was good but not special -- about $20/person for breakfast. The waitstaff was kind and somewhat attentive. They did a nice job, but it was obvious that they have not received training for luxury service. The furnishings were shabby. Chairs were worn, and the table linens were stained. We sat at a different table each day and found the same to be true each time.

Overall, I found the physical structure and furnishings shabby, and the staff ill-trained for resort work. I do not plan to stay there again. I would rather stay in a nice hotel a couple of hours away and make the drive to Irvington each day than stay at the Tides Inn again. To end on a positive note, Nature sure did give the place a nice view.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have doors that open directly outside -- motel style. I was not aware of that bef...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank HavePlaneWillTravel7
Reviewed February 1, 2014

A long weekend with a great friend at The Tides Inn was incredibly relaxing and enjoyable. The main building and restaurant/patio/bar is well done and up to date. The hotel/inn needs some updating (especially for the price) but suited our needs. Bikes, kayaking and paddleboarding were wonderful and the Inn is convenient to a number of vineyards/wineries and quaint local shopping and dining. We enjoyed our spa services - the spa manager is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank emcote

So pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Every year we renew various items and we have a new fleet of kayaks and paddleboards for 2014.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I admit to falling for that old time family resort experience. And I just like The Tides. We have been there several times over the years with other family members, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. It isnt the swankiest resort you'll find. Its more understated and comfortable, not at all stuffy. The staff is super friendly and helpful, not overbearing. Some have worked there for years. I've stayed in various rooms and all were very nicely appointed, most with beautiful views. Yes, the buildings are old and it is likely a struggle to keep them in top condition, but they are trying and for the most part succeeding. The golf course is a plus and will challenge good golfers. Even in winter there seems to be plenty to do, but just sitting in front of the huge fireplace is one of the nicest. The food is excellent, but try some of the other restaurants in Irvington and explore nearby towns. The Northern Neck is very historic and scenic, yet seems almost devoid of tourists. One of these years I hope to come back in summer to enjoy the pool and kayaks, but even in cold or rainy weather the Tides is a relaxing retreat.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Travel-with-Terriers
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Thank you for your review, sometimes reliable, comfortable, caring and charming will win the day.
I note you are travel with terriers and we would remind our future patrons that we can accommodate well behaved dogs in 8 of our rooms (We think 8 is enough at any one time at the resort)

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The view is second to none, as the hotel is perched over Carter Creek, one of the most scenic tributaries in Virginia. The hotel is lovely and the food is pretty good. Dining rooms are spacious and the ambiance is charming. The rooms are nicely sized, but there is a musty/moldy smell to them. It's bearable and not much of a detraction. I suggest rooms on higher floors.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was traveling with my mom and two boys, 7 and 9 and we stayed in a King Suite. Pull out doubls bed not ideal for two boys. King bed was nice. The room smelled a little musty - maybe it was the air conditioner.

The weather was terrible. Food at the restaurant was very nice, loved the Salmon entree and grits for breakfast were great! Lots of activities for adults and children. It would be ideal in nice weather. Staff was very responsive and accommodating.

Room Tip: We were in 215 and it had a nice view of the water, but we also looked out onto a flat roof - which...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ParticularPA

When travelling as you are, a double double room maybe better or a pair of interconnecting rooms.
I am sorry the weather was miserable, the East Coast is blessed with fabulous weather normally but it is the rain that makes the grass green and the flowers grow.
Drop me a line before your next visit and remind me of your review and my reply, we will try and make up for the bad weather
Gordon Slatford

Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kilmarnock
Flowering Fields B&B
Flowering Fields B&B
#1 of 2 in White Stone

Been to The Tides Inn? Share your experiences!