All reviewsfrisbee golfnorthern neckresort feeginger alepar golf coursegarden housechesapeake roommain buildingshe crab soupchesapeake baygolden eaglewater viewthe main dining roomcarter's creekturn down servicefire pitsouthern hospitality
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Having been to several old Inn's, B&B's and Resorts in the Maryland and Virginia area, besides other world travel and staying in four and five star hotels, we love to re-visit the Tides Inn. Thanksgiving and Christmas time is especially wonderful. We have not found the ambiance, elegance and old world charm as great as at the Tides Inn. The staff is wonderful and attentive - the food is absolutely fabulous. Gordon the General Manager was a delight to talk to as he made the rounds visiting with his guests. Again at the Tides Inn you feel special and welcomed.

Room Tip: The rooms are situated that one has a fairly good view of the bay from high or low.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ursula M
Reviewed December 5, 2011

(Just a little background to possibly help a reader understand that this review is offered by someone who's been on 46 luxury cruises (the very best lines), and has stayed at only the finest hotels (4 and 5 stars) throughout the world for over 35+ years)
For the last seven years, we have celebrated Thanksgiving weekend at the Tides Inn with our adult children who live and work/attend school in the D.C. area. (My wife and I make the trip from the Oregon Coast for each visit). Gordon (the resident GM) is the most visible property manager I've ever come across and he deserves cudos that I can't adequately articulate here regarding the "quality of product" that is delivered at The Tides. The attention to detail, the quality of the accommodations, the friendliness of the entire staff, (regardless of whom), the truly gourmet cuisine in the East Room, (where we have dinner every night without exception! -the presentation and quality of all menu items are just superb -no shortcuts taken here!) the ambience of the resort, the activities and numerous extra touches (all at no cost) (e.g. Smores at night, cookies and milk by the fireplace in the King Carter Room, cider set up to greet you as you drive up, a par three golf course - clubs provided, many bicycles available for guests use, croquet, etc. etc. etc.- I believe all reflect on Gordon's consistent and profound abilities to manage what is truly a five star plus resort. By now, it's no suprise to any reader that it's our family's "home away from home". So much so that we added Easter to our annual visits last year and can't wait to return to the Inn again in early April for our next visit (having just returned from another extrordinary Thanksgivng stay!) I could write for hours about the Tides and still not do it justice. You have to experience it for yourself to understand what a gem it truly is! Just be prepared for a level of service and quiet elegance that you may likely have thought disappeared years ago. (You'll even get a call from the concierge a few weeks before your visit to assist with activities, dinner, spa, golf and any other reservations you may require as well as any special arrangements you might desire). This will be your first clue as to how special the Tides Inn is and what's in store. It NEVER disappoints! One final point: The fact that in seven years, there seemingly has been zero turnover in staff (the same Maitre D and assistant, Front desk staff, Concierge staff, Waitresses and waiters, bartenders, etc) to me speaks volumes re: how well managed The Inn is and what a very special hotel/resort it truly is! Happy staff makes for excellent service and the fact that they're (happily) there year after year tells the story best. I would be remiss not to call out Susan (Gordon's assistant) as well as Rachel (concierge/special services) and Craig (Dock master) for always making us feel so welcome. Gordon? Just the quintessential host!

Richard C
Oceanside, Oregon

Room Tip: All accommodations are excellent!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Richard C
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Thank you so much for your comments. I have always believed the way to run a resort is from the front with the customers and not neccesarily from behind a desk.
Your comments woudl lead me to believe the philosophy is good and true.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Tides Inn.
Best regards.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

My wife and I decided on a close yet quaint, upscale getaway. The Tides Inn quickly came to mind and a destination we had not visited. Upon check in, Earl, a 28 year dedicated employee, greeted and guided us to the front desk where we met Tony and Bryant, the front desk manager. They selected a beautiful suite that met and exceeded our request for our accommodations. Earl then gave us the tour of the property and displayed his professionalism as he showed us to the room. Once settled we made our way to the restaurant bar. The bartenders, Lisa and Dennis, are a must to visit. Great drinks, recommendations for local activities and must sees. We actually had dinner reservations for the dinning room but chose to forego the table to spend more time with Lisa and Dennis. Awesome weekend!! Thanks staff!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Todd B
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you on behalf of all the staff you metioned. Our greatest reward is your satisfaction and I did note a few high fives between the mentioned staff when this was posted!.
We loook forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

I have stayed at the Tides many times and find myself returning from this recent stay thinking I cannot letmuch time pass without another visit. The Tides is timeless and yet completely current; the hospitality, amenities and natural beauty make any visit a luxury and at the same time a necessity. Where else can you experience the ever changing landscape of the water, wildlife and peace while feeling pampered and deliciously spoiled? Try one of their beautiful Vista suites, have their special "Lemonade: and dine on the freshest seafood imaginable. Sleep under a fresh white lofty comforter and enjoy hot coffee as the sun rises and the watermen awaken. It is bliss, the on site spa, golf course and many activities that occur daily.....it would be easy to spend several days relaxing and seeing this beautiful Chesapeake Treasure..

Room Tip: Vista suites are prime for space and luxury. Very nice views and beautiful baths.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anita p

Thank you, I could not have written it better myself
Come back soon

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've visited the Tides' Inn several years as part of an annual 'girls' reunion, and it has aged gracefully - no signs of wear. The rooms are lovely and spacious, the beds are comfortable The Garden House rooms give you a great view of the water and marina. The staff is always pleasant. Every year it's also enjoyable to sit in the living room with a glass of wine and watch the sun set, or a wedding reception on the patio.
Irvington is an extremely small, sleepy town. Lunch at "The Local" was excellent; shopping is always fun at "The Dandelion'. In previous years, we've visited other nearby small towns.
This is a great place to visit if your focus is to slow down, or to spend time with friends or family. There aren't a lot of outside distractions.
One downside - the rates are rather expensive, especially when you add in the resort fee.

Room Tip: The second floor of the Garden House is excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank PattieB

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and utilised the shops and retsaurants that Irvington offers
I note your comment on price and will offer the following advice. Try to book midweek when demand is slightly lower you will probably experience lower rates for the same great product.
Mind you a lot of what we offer is actually priceless, the beautiful waters, the vast array of outdoor activities, the security and serenity, but most of all the friendly sothern hospitality we are renowned for.