$245
Official Site
$90
  • Pool
$120
Quality Inn Gloucester(Gloucester Courthouse)(Great Value!)
$82
QualityInn
Hampton Inn Gloucester(Gloucester Courthouse)
$134
Hampton.com
$70
$165
$149
HolidayInn.com
Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg North(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
$90
$86
HIExpress.com
Econo Lodge Pottery(Williamsburg)
$59
All reviewsfrisbee golfnorthern neckresort feeginger alepar golf coursegarden housechesapeake roommain buildingshe crab soupchesapeake baygolden eaglewater viewthe main dining roomcarter's creekturn down servicefire pitsouthern hospitality
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We arrived at 4:30pm, 30 minutes past check in time. We were informed our room was not ready yet. After await of 40 minutes they said we would be assigned another room. we went into the room, without any suggestion of help getting there, to find the curtains were stained with who knows what, mold on the grout in the bathroom, stains on the walls and a few small ants on and in the bed. I immediatly went to the front desk and informed them of my concerns and they reasigned us another room. the other room was quite alot nicer,though it took another 50 or 60 minutes to take care of this inconvience, so we were not into an acceptable room until 7:00 pm. The room was very nice inside but the outside patio balcony was dirty, looking as if it had'nt been pressure washed or even slighty cleaned in years. Not to mention huge spider webs that no housekeeper worth a salt could possibly miss. The room had absolutely no sound proofing so every word our neighbors uttered was completly audiable, not to mention their bedtime adventures. In one respect I must mention most of the menu we sampled was quite acceptable, with very few short falls this inn is old but there is no excuse for the condition considering the price and thier bragging of being world class, and I,ve been around the world.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Something always triggers dissapointment and initially it seems our policy of check in being available from 4.00pm was inadvertantly taken as a guarantee that all rooms will be ready by that time. Unfortunately no property can promise that and it seems that it all went down hill from there on. Perhaps the alternate room was not what was wanted and some noisy guests compounded the problem. Of course at this time I can only speculate We ask all guests to complete a short questionnaire on thier stay as this is a perfect medium for resolving issues and learning from any slip in standards, I am sorry this did not occur as I am left with no way of apologising personally or knowing what really happened. Please contact me personally I know I can make things right.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

Very disappointed in this property, can't believe it is a member of Leading Hotels of the World. We reserved a Vista Suite with Balcony (second to best category) and upon check-in were simply pointed were to park our car and carried our luggage to our room - no offer for any bell service. The room in the garden house had an odor to it and is entered directly from an exterior door (motel style). Balcony was nothing we even bothered to go out on, only a flimsy divider between the various rooms. We were scheduled to stay 2 nights but did not bother staying for the 2nd night. The room was not reflective of the photos presented on their website and was not worth even a quarter of the daily rate. I don't know if the rooms in the main building are any better, but I can tell you NOT to stay in the garden house. Would be hard to imagine the other rooms being nicer when the room we stayed in is at a higher nightly rate.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Garden House
3  Thank ALRHA

The two room suite offered in our garden house has great water views 300 thread count linens, duvets wet bars etc and really cannot be compared to a motel. The Garden house does have exterior doors as advertised and balconies overlooking Carter creek which are seperated by a lattice from adjacent rooms. I do wish trip advisor allowed hoteliers to contact reviewers as sometimes anonymity brings out the worst, I have found that speaking to management anywhere normally resolves even the biggest problems.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

With Hurricane Irene on its way this weekend, as of Wed morning the hotel still has not changed their cancellation policy. They expect travellers to reschedule for another date or lose their deposit. Given the prices this hotel is charging, I was expecting much better service and flexibility. It's not like we're changing our plans for a frivolous reason. How can they expect families to travel when there is a hurricane threat?

They say the hurricane may change it's course, but it could very well change back. We had a very disagreeable conversation with the hotel staff and are very put off by the treatment. The hotel needs to provide a flexible policy for inclement weather. All the other high end hotels do.

2  Thank ViennaHoos
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Our Cancellation policy was ammended one week out to allow rebooking without penalty, this was ammended 4 days out to allow cancellation without penalty. I am sorry you felt this was too slow. With the uncertainty surrounding this Hurricane we reacted in a timely, appropriate and fair manner and your deposit was refunded on Wednesday Morning.
My educated guess would suggest we were well ahead of the Airlines and other industries

Reviewed August 24, 2011

My kids, my mom and i recently came for 3 nights. As a child my family came to the Tides every summer by boat. I had been once about 13 years ago, prior to the new owners took over, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was so delighted to find that the Tides has been preserved in the tradition it was started under the Stephens family. The outstanding service and amenities have all been maintained .... just as I remember. It was so nice to see some of the old faces on staff from years ago. I'm happy the new owners kept them. What a wonderful place to spend a few days ... away from the rat race of society. Truly relaxing! The food was delicious too. We hope to be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments about our rooms and facilities. While significantly updated since your childhood we love to retain the personal service and attention that is a cornerstone of the Tides Inn's reputation.
We look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed for a few nights with family and friends, the kids all loved crabbing on premises. Salt water pool was interesting while the normal pool looked nice as well. Food in the main dining room was better than expected and reasonably priced for the quality. Rooms were nice and the facilities were fine throughout. With free kayaks, canoes, golf, tennis, frisbee golf, croquet, biking, etc there is plenty of things to do as long as the weather is decent. WIll likely visit again in the future with family and friends.

1  Thank crazywudsl

Thank you for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed the accomodations, food and activities.
Crabs are a big part of our history from crab cakes to she crab soup to catching them off the docks. No surprise really that our mascot "Crabby" is a a cute stuffed toy which we give to all our younger visitors.
Come back soon.