All reviews frisbee golf northern neck resort fee ginger ale par golf course garden house chesapeake room main building she crab soup chesapeake bay golden eagle water view the main dining room carter's creek turn down service fire pit southern hospitality
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Staff, grounds, food outstanding. Hardly left the "compound" as everything we needed was right there. This plus great and friendly staff makes for a gem of a resort. Most resorts now cater to conference groups, but the Tide's inn seems to cater to individuals and family groups, though they have facilities for small conferences.
From our balcony we watched sailboat lessons and fellow guests out in the canoes, pedal boats, kayaks. After time on the river, you can take a bike ride into Irvington for ice cream or play par three golf or frisbee golf or croquet on the property. Great water views all around. S'mores in the evening on the beach followed by milk and cookies in the lounge made for a happy ending to a perfect day.

Room Tip: The Windsor House backs onto the river and the rooms are very private.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Its the simple life which provides the greatest rewards and I am glad you apprciated the wonderful setting and extensive array of water and land based activities. We are lucky to have our own sailing school (Premier Sailing) and it is said we are the only resort on the East Coast with such a school on site!
Come back soon.
Gordon Slatford

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Tides Inn is a nicely maintained resort. It charges resort fee of $25/day which includes free golf (need to have golf balls), tennis, pool, crouquet. Loved the golf course. Staffs were friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Cove cruise is a must-do 1-hour activity for a boat trip to the bay area! View from the resort is pleasant too.
Activity room was nice place to sit and relax and friendly staffs and also had complimentary cookie and milk at 9pm (but they should bring more than just one jug of milk given there were so many kids and people waiting to have it).
However, for the price of $300/night for king deluxe room, we were unsure when we saw the room which was smaller in size. I expected flat-screen TV in this century with this room price but they still have old-fashioned TV (tube one).
Pool was nice with clear water but was almost always over-crowded so we decided to go late evening close to 9pm. It was nice but then we could not really enjoy the sunlight and viewing the bay while swimming.
The most frustrating was the worst wireless service I have ever seen! It was just bad and weak and it almost never worked. I could not do any of my work that I had planned over vacation!
Food at Chesapeake club was expensive but good. Breakfast buffet was tasteless and boring. I wish they at least made breakfast complimentary with such expensive room charges. There is a very good seafood restaurant ~18 miles east called Horn Harbor House Restaurant -- crabs and shrimps were fresh and tasty!
Overall, Tides Inn is sure a nicer place to stay but is lot expensive for amenities. I would like them to address things stated above such as bad wireless, quality of food, and at least complimentary breakfast for such a room price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DCTripLover

Customer feedback is a critical component of quality assurance and we appreciate the input. We have recently commissioned some upgrades to our wireless system which our guests will appreciate. You may be surprised how our midweek specials could adress your concerns on pricing!
Gordon Slatford

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed here for the night with my fiancé July 2-3rd as a quick getaway from the city. The hotel was filled with the elderly and their grandchildren. The rooms were Decent but their was absolutely nothing to do at the hotel. The towns surrounding were dead with maybe 5 restaurants total and thats after we drove 30 minutes away from the "resort", mostly filled with vacant businesses that were all for sale, for lease, or for rent. It was not relaxing due to the many children and their parents who let them run rampant. The pool was small and crowded. Trust me, save the money you would have spent here and allocate towards a real resort!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler747a
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

I am so sorry that all of the activities laid out for the weekend were not to your liking. As well as bikes, golf, frisbee,boats, beach party, tennis,farmers market,spa and great food we had a full house of families having fun. You are right The Tides Experience on July 4th is not a romantic getaway but we adjust our operation to the occasion and July 4th is really synonymous with parties and celebration. Most other weekends romance is certainly in the air.
Given all that, not sure we deserved the one star!
PS You do not need to drive anywhere our restaurant and signature Crabcakes are renowned as the best .

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Stayed two nights -- overall, a great experience. Postives: Dinner was excellent (breaded oyster appetizer was a 10/10 - and I'm a food snob). Kayaking was super-cool. Grounds were well done. Staff was excellent. Smores on the beach was a nice touch. Pool was enjoyable. Negatives -- room was small (I got the $200/night one - so understandable), but the AC was like sleeping next to a jet engine! That was a bit horrible. Breakfast was terrible - don't believe them when they say the OJ was fresh squeezed. That said - I'm going to bring the kids with us next time. I think they would have a great visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mattva1
Tidesgm, General Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Glad you enjoyed your stay and our local oysters, We appreciate your feedback and will attend to it accordingly. Let me know when you are coming back with the family.
Gordon

Reviewed June 28, 2011

The location is perfect. Outstanding views overlooking the water. Perhaps best of all were the staff from the point of arrival, reception and best of all in the Restaurant. You can eat casual or in the more refined end. The menu is the same as is the outstanding food. You must try their signature drink . Lancaster Lemonade. Thinking of it makes me smile. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: All are good but ideally in the main building .
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sundaygolf
Tidesgm, Manager at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

I'm always delighted when our guests are thoroughly satisfied with their visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.