“Great 3 Day stay at the Tides Inn”
Review of The Tides Inn

The Tides Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Reviewed October 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Tides Inn for 3 days in mid-October for a mini golf getaway. The resort itself continues to be well maintained and the service is just a good as it has always been. We played golf at the Golden Eagle course one day and at the new King Carter course on a second day. Both courses were in excellent shape and were fun to play. If you play at the Golden Eagle, make sure you have lunch at Capt B's. It's a very nice and relaxing place to eat and the food and service are exceptional. Food in the main dining room was very good, don't miss the breakfast selection each morning. We ate one night at the Trick Dog Cafe in Irvington, which was also very good. Enjoyed swimming in the heated pool and taking a cocktail cruise on the Miss Ann, the resort yacht. All in all, a very nice 3 day stay. The Tides Inn continues to be a great place to visit.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Wilmarsr
The_Tides_Inn, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2008

Thank you for your kind words. Golden Eagle underwent ongoing enhancements last winter. On your next visit you will find a new bridge at out signature 18th hole. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed October 9, 2007

My wife and I recently returned from a delightful 2 night anniversary stay at the Tides Inn. The Inn provides a wonderful mix of old Virginia friendliness with a lively restaurant, bar and boating scene. The rooms are clean and well appointed, with excellent water views. We especially enjoyed the balcony overlooking Carters Creek. I would recommend the restaurant on-site for dinner, and the luncheon on the veranda at the Golf course was a nice step back in time. Also, the electric boats are an excellent way to explore Carters Creek and the great waterfront homes.

Yes, the Tides Inn is expensive, but a wonderful and rare treat., and a welcome retreat from the fast-paced world we live in. Would love to return in 2008.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank foxrun10

Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary at the Tides Inn. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The Duffy Boats are indeed very popular (as long as you don’t get stuck in the backwaters!) When people ask about the electric boats AKA Duffy Boats we describe it as driving a dining room table at 2 MPH on the water! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2007

Hmm.

I have hesitated quite long and hard about this hotel where we stayed from September 17th until September 23rd, a reasonably lengthy stay. I have copied below a letter I e mailed to the manager on our second morning at the hotel.

Dear Mr S,

Just a note to thank you very much indeed for that excellent bottle of Cava with which you were so kind as to present us. My wife thoroughly enjoyed drinking it. It was most kind of you and much appreciated.
We have delighted in eating in the restaurant, where the staff are as engaging as the food is delicious and we very much enjoyed the afternoon adventure on the Miss Ann when some poor fisherman had to be rescued. The Miss Ann is a beautiful boat and N was very informative and we thoroughly enjoyed her stories. She was also very helpful with touring ideas and information on the local history.
However and for all that, not much these days is entirely radiance and sunshine. Of some irritation is the noise which reverberates about the Tides. Whilst I accept that hotel staff cannot always control their guests; the sight of some dozen or so young children, on Wednesday afternoon, systematically destroying your croquet pitch as they lobbed and whacked the balls hither and thither was both noisome and irritating to some of your quieter guests. Mind you, the parents or custodians of these little joyful brats must bear much of the blame. The situation continued to resemble a battle ground until one of your chefs eventually and perhaps bravely remonstrated with the young hooligans to the effect that throwing or malleting croquet balls about was apt to be hazardous to windows.
Thursday evening there was a party on the verandah underneath the bedroom area where our delightful suite is located. Well, that is fine and dandy as one might say around here, but not, I think, at a Leading Hotel, with drinkers shrieking on until 01.00 on Friday morning. Surely such antics should be scheduled to take place far from those of your guests who might wish to be dozing and dreaming before the midnight hour, or even eleven o' clock for that matter. It does seem somewhat ridiculous to have to watch television after midnight in order to drown the sound of such sleep depriving revelry? I was unable, on telephoning to reception at 23.00hrs, to determine when the proceedings were scheduled to terminate.
Having been kept up until after 01.00 last night, we now have on the croquet lawn, beneath our window, a gathering of some twenty adults who began, at about 09.00, some strange initiation rites involving much whooping, shouting, laughter and disturbance. Such cumulative activities belie any claim that the hotel might have to be quiet, relaxing or congenial in atmosphere.
As the weekend approaches, we view the next two nights with a degree of some trepidation and shall be exploring the local pharmacy for some airline style earplugs. We would not wish to have to board our flight to the UK in a state of total somnalescence after our stay in your otherwise excellent establishment.

''''''

Although I received no response to this letter and did not see the manager after having written it; I have to say that the same conference group of people were at the hotel for the next couple of nights and the noise did seem more contained after 23.00.
Nonetheless The Tides, whilst perhaps being the best on the Neck, is a decidedly noisy place with far too much of the conference, passing traffic and function ethos about it to justify any great accolades as a restful place in which to recharge the old sulphuric accumulators.

There is no stock of green Tabasco sauce either, which is hardly surprising, and so, with a Bella ciao...Toodle Pip.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank roderigo
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My husband and I celebrated our recent anniversary at The Tides Inn. The property is beautiful - filled with lovely foliage and flowers. The staff is quite friendly and accomodating as well. The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was very large with marble accents. The Tides Inn sits on a great peice of property overlooking a creek off of the Rappahanock River. The views at sunset are spectacular. My only complaint would be the pool area. Not only was the pool overly crowded because of what seemed like hundreds of wedding guests staying at the Inn, the pool itself is very mediocre. For the price of this hotel, the pool area needs to be spruced up. Overall though, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Midlo2

Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary at the Tides Inn. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize for any experience you had with our pool. You will be please to know the out door pool and the surrounding area recently completed a through renovation including the Pool Grille. Hope you visit us soon!

Reviewed August 27, 2007

I attended an event at the Tides during the weekend of August 24, 2007. Everything here was wonderful. The room was very nice with a great view and a huge newly redone bathroom. The service here was excellent, and I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing evening.

Even more, I would recommend this resort for someone planning a large event. The hotel had a wonderful tent set up where we partied until the wee hours of the morning on both Friday and Saturday. The food was wonderful, and the hospitality even better.

The only bad thing on my end was a dirty pool bathroom, and quiet hours at the hotel, once the evening turned into a boisterous late night. But hey, that’s just being respectful to guests that were not a part of our celebration, and I can certainly agree with that.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alohadreams23
ransencia, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Tides Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2008

We are pleased that your weekend was memorable. As you astutely observed we need to balance the wishes of all guests hence the “quiet hours”. We shared your remarks about our pool bathroom with housekeeping and have increased the number of times these rooms are monitored throughout the day. As you can imagined when the resort is booked to capacity the bathrooms are used extensively! Thank you again …….we hope you return soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stayed at The Tides as part of a wedding group. Although the grounds were beautiful, the hotel staff was unprofessional and incompetent. This applies in particular to the front desk staff and the restaurant staff. First, the rooms were not ready when promised. After waiting for nearly an hour, one couple was checked in to a room that had not been cleaned. After trudging their belongings back downstairs, they were told that they would have to wait again.

With respect to the restaurant, I have never been treated so poorly -- and I mean that literally. We came downstairs for breakfast well within the appropriate time, but the hostess station was not staffed. After waiting for approximately fifteen minutes, and watching several waitresses walk by, we finally flagged somebody down. The person agreed to seat us, but she was rude and surly -- practically threw the menus at us. We then waited an inordinate amount of time for somebody to take our orders. When the food finally came, one of the orders was wrong.

Several days after our stay at The Tides, I noticed a charge on my credit card for approximately $30. I called the resort and was told that I had used some items from the minibar in my room. I didn't even know that my room had a minibar, and I am quite certain that I did not use any of the items. The hotel manager made me feel like I was lying -- but why would anybody dispute a $30 charge after spending ten times that amount for the actual room?

I don't know how this resort manages to maintain their high rating. The service is deplorable.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Traveling42
Reviewed July 28, 2007

This review is a follow-on in support of the other "Solomons" entry earlier for the same week of July 4. I honestly don't understand how one of the recent entries (below the Solomons entry) states it also did all these things wrong, but still rated it a 4. I see a "1-2" review, with a "4" attached at the end - ???? I am still aghast at the whole entire stay over the 4th of July, but mostly at the following things that I want to emphasize as unacceptable, not just inconvenient, that I would want to be aware of if I were planning a stay at this hotel:

- The hotel put us in a terrible, shabby unrenovated room for a lot of money (over $300+/nt). Think musty, dated, broken furniture and peeling drywall and wallpaper. We were apalled...I would never have known the difference had I not gone back down to the front desk and said "you have got to be kidding me?!". Only when pressed did they offer a room that would make the difference between what they are showing you on the pictures and something that would, no lie, make you pack your bags and go on to the next town. It was that bad. If the mgmt disagrees with this (and I'm sure they will), then all I ask is for the mgmt to post a picture of both of the bathrooms in response to this allegation. Seriously. Better yet - there are only THREE unrenovated rooms in the resort... our party was assigned two of the three (more than likely so that we couldn't compare and know that there was better).

- This was a special occasion and there was no pretense that it just did not matter EXCEPT that when we checked out, they offered back the money that they overcharged us (yes, it's hard to believe that they charged us MORE to stay in the unrenovated room) and when pressed with all the problems we had at checking out, they did actually give us back the money we were overcharged. I hope the sarcasm is apparent in this statement.

- They sent a maintenance man to our room for a "sticking door" at about 5PM on the Thursday before we checked out on Friday. No one was more surprised to open their door to get ready for dinner and find a man there unannounced then I was. And yes, he stayed in the room working on the door while we tried to prep for dinner in the bathroom -- not the best situation. Nice man - but no one called for service and why not fix it the next morning after we were gone? Better.....when we left (he was still there) and came back late after dinner in Irvington we found our door open with NO lock on it and no able to be locked. This was another call to the front desk at 10PM to see what happened. Why fix something that wasn't broken? Not cool....and not able to be fixed -- thank God for a deadbolt that my husband got to work, but you can't leave the room and lock it now....

- All the things said about "missing the mark" - ditto and completely true and unexaggerated.

- Honestly - if you are coming to stay at the Tides....you don't want to be insulted at the end of your stay with a few dollars knocked off the bill. You really don't want the dollars off the bill - you want to be enjoy your stay and pay the price you agreed to to be treated like you are staying at a 4/5 star resort. What you REALLY don't want is the front desk to agree to give you back the money they overcharged you after a stay such as the one we experienced.

Folks, it's #1 in Irvington because there is no other one in Irvington. It has potential and location.....it just lacks in follow-through and customer service/care to be the level of hotel they want to be.

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank holwin4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Best Western Kilmarnock Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kilmarnock
The Gables
The Gables
#3 of 5 in Reedville

Been to The Tides Inn? Share your experiences!